Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 10:52 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,358,171 times

Advertisements

I am a big fan of Berlin because I spent a lot of time there in the 1970s while I was in the US Army. Lots of memories, and I know the city as well as my home town. Berlin has become a a great unified city in the past 20 years, especially because the ugly wall is gone and the cold war seige atmosphere is history.

On my last visit to Berlin in 2012 I was surprised by the large number of people from Spain that I heard or met in the city. I speak Spanish (and German) so of course it didn't take long to figure out that most had left Spain in search of jobs.

The great thing about Berlin is the world class transportation system. S-Bahn, U-Bahn, strassenbahn and busses will become your good friends. First thing when you arrive is to get a free transit system map and buy a 1 week unlimited transit pass for Zone A and B (about 33 Euro). If you decide to stay in Berlin, you can also buy a monthly transit pass.

If you like to ride a bicycle (like me), tens of thousands of Berliners use bicycles for transportation around the city every day. You will see bicycles everywhere. I have pedaled a bike around every part of Berlin.

If you have a job lined up in Berlin, look at your transit map and see what routes serve the area near the job address. Try to find a place to rent that is near one of those transit routes. I like Prenzlauer Berg district which is about 2 km northeast of Alexanderplatz. It's quick and easy to get to Berlin Mitte, and Prenzlauer Berg has endless restaurants, coffee shops, beer pubs and stores. Almost 40 years ago in my Army days, I was in the Zehlendorf district in the southwest corner of Berlin. It is a nice area to live, but it can take 30 minutes to get to the central part of Berlin by S or U-Bahn.

Good luck in your new adventure.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:31 AM

820 posts, read 953,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernon-9 View Post
Berlin. Paris is really overrated (Eiffel Tower, Champs Elysees,...). There is nothing exceptional except for the amazing food they have.
Berlin:
- friendlier atmosphere
- more interesting history and museums
- people are not arrogant like "les Parisiens"
- location in central Europe is much more interesting (gateaway to Bavaria, Danemark, Scandinavia, Netherlands, Czeck Republic...)
- more outdoor activities possible (lakes, Baltic Sea, Hamburg, Dresden, hiking in the Harz mountains...)
- more dynamic life (nightlife, restaurants, pubs)
- but more relaxed than Paris (less stress because the city is more spread out, better urban planning, more green space...)
- better salaries/ job opportunities (Germany is Europe's leading country, at least economically if not on all aspects)
- cost of living is better (less expensive than Paris)
- people speak English!
- more liberal
etc..
Berlin wins!
You apparently never lived in Paris.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:40 AM

820 posts, read 953,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernon-9 View Post
- better salaries/ job opportunities (Germany is Europe's leading country, at least economically if not on all aspects)
I work as an economist at the French central bank and you are absolutely Wrong!

Germany is in bad economic times and it is just the beginning compared to France.
Salaries per hour are one of the worst among developped countries.
The 14th of February will tell you more.

PS: France economy could probably be the most efficient economy in the world

Last edited by amaroW; 02-05-2014 at 11:57 AM..

Old 02-06-2014, 02:40 AM

15 posts, read 33,827 times
Thanks a lot Recycled !! good advice ! and Surprise, I announced the french company I had an other job proposal, and now they're offering more money and even proposed to help me to find a flat !! Wtf, they're tantilizing me...
Now I'll have to check in which company I'll get more free time for me... working hard is a good thing, has also to think about my well being !! Thanks everybody !

Old 02-06-2014, 05:03 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,590,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaroW View Post
You apparently never lived in Paris.
I lived in Paris and i agree with him on most issues,i've seen Berlin and if i have to choose,Berlin would be my choice.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:15 AM

1,704 posts, read 1,836,562 times
Quote:

Germany is in bad economic times and it is just the beginning compared to France.

The economy of France is in decline, no doubt about it. So I think your statements are incorrect.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:16 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,590,154 times
Quote:

I disagree with you,if you work for a french bank,i understand that you have to side with your employer
You can check all the statistic,the best economy in Europe is Germany.
Germany created more jobs than France where unemployment is still high.

France vs Germany economic comparison
France vs. Germany - economy comparison

Country comparison France-Germany
Country comparison France ↔ Germany 2014 | countryeconomy.com

Old 02-06-2014, 07:58 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,485,018 times
Quote:

Bad economic times?

https://www.google.com/#q=Germany+un...+rate&safe=off

I suppose that explains their 5.2% unemployment rate.

Of course, the 11% unemployment rate for France is much better. Looks just nicer. Everybody loves double digits.
And when I check the average income, Germany is still ahead of France.

Now you just have to wait and see what they do about it. Until then, France is is very bad shape.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:59 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
amaroW = French propaganda machine.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:20 AM

869 posts, read 1,124,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
amaroW = French propaganda machine.
Definitely lol

One thing though, french workers always rank at or near the top as far as productivity goes....thats when they do work . Half the time they are either on vacations, on strike or down in the streets protesting this or that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe