Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 03:54 PM

586 posts, read 831,471 times

Advertisements

Hmm...

You ask a question then alter it's specifics. You don't appear to be asking questions, rather directing those that wish to discuss your original question towards a goal, your goal.

Well, i'm not inclined towards wearing a lead... have fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 03:56 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,601,133 times
You can do better than this, surely?

Old 02-03-2014, 08:52 PM

326 posts, read 471,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
People often discuss what country is more interesting, which has the best quality of life - but what if you are not a European white?

I am sure race and the perception of it affects how people feel about cities/countries. For example, everyone exalts Switzerland - low taxes, high pay, rich culture, beautiful landscape, great healthcare and education, but the Swiss also have the reputation of being exceedingly arrogant - well, many don't necessarily show it, but deep down they think they are superior. This probably applies to Germany as well. The country is great, but if you are not white, you will never be really accepted as part of it.

I am aware there is some steoreotyping here, but non-white people repeatedly have such first-hand experience in these countries. The locals enjoy very high standard of living. You move there expecting to be happy there, only disappointed to find you are permanently excluded in their social circles and it is almost impossible to be treated like an equal or a true friend, no matter how much money you are able to make.

What countries in Europe are least racially conscious? Race will always play a part somewhat in our life, but to different extend in different countries. For example, in Greater New York, Coastal California, Greater Toronto area in North American, people don't think race is a big deal - for example for 40 people to work under an Chinese is completely normal and few people will feel uncomfortable about that. I am not sure it is the same in Munich or Zurich.

My guess would be that London will be more liberal minded and less race conscious. Paris and Milan for example will be less so. What about other countries/cities?
i think there is ALOT of stereotyping going on. i was recently in Sopot, Poland and i saw several black guys walking around and no-one bat an eye lid. Some even arm in arm with their polish girlfriends but nothing. Sopot is a tiny little town in the far north of Poland with a population of 38k.. out of all the places. if anything, it was ME that made race a big thing because i stereotyped and thought because there are not many black people in Poland, people would make a big deal out of it.

i think you'd be surprised about how little race matters in the vast majority of europe. there may be a few eastern european countries like russia/ukraine that wouldn't be too fond of a non-white person being russian/ukrainian, but any country west of (and including) sweden, german, austria, italy really shouldn't a problem.

the cases you made about Switzerland and Germany aren't necessarily true since they have HUGE immigrant population and they are accepted. the national football teams of either country is one example. the german national football team including players such as Khedira (tunisian), Ozil (turkish), Gundogan (turkish), Sidney Sam (Nigerian), Aogo (Nigerian), Boateng (ghanaian). switzerland's national football team also has a fair amount of immigrant non-white players.

switzerland is a nation of immigrants just like the USA. there is no one 'swiss' ethnicity since its population mainly consists of immigrants from germany, france and italy. they don't have their own language either. they are arrogant/nationalist but they'll never be as arrogant or nationalist as the americans.. that doesn't mean they'll treat their immigrants any differently, just as long as they respect their country's culture and value.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:56 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,539,324 times
In my experience travelling around major cities in Europe, it's not even that different from what I'm used to in Canada in terms of demographics. I see visible minorities everywhere and they have always seemed like they have stuff to do and people to see like everyone else. The most homogenous big city I've been in Europe is probably Madrid, but even then there were a lot of Asian persons who spoke impressive Spanish.

I think like anywhere there's probably just a small but vocal minority of racists that make the headlines. I can't imagine anywhere in western Europe being as racist or closed off to non white people as a lot of people imagine.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:26 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,032,217 times
France or UK, specifically Paris & London.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:39 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,373,234 times
I think the OP is simply asking which European countries are the most openly racist.

It is much easier to get a clear answer to your question if you just ask it plainly instead of dancing around it in a politically correct waltz.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:58 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,267,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I am not questioning the diversity, but asking about how racially conscient people are, and if the white majority hold some sort of supremacy attitude explicitly or secretely, not necessarily discrimination, but a degree of a clear "us vs. them" distinction.
'race thinking' is an American thing. The "us vs them" exist very strongly in France or Europe in general but it is a question of cultural belonging that matters, much more than anything else. A black person of french culture will be much more though as being in th 'us' group than a white of different cultural belonging.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:19 PM

177 posts, read 194,312 times
As with all things pertaining to 'race' in respect to the experience of minorities, its best asking those minorities who experience travelling through Europe for an authentic experience.

Most, if not all European countries are racist, they differ in how outwardly its shown and usually, this is reflected by the demographics and political background.

Usually, town centres, especially ones which are the capitals of 'mainstream Euro Cities', do not display openly racist ideology, although obviously there are exceptions. I would say that Northern Europe is more 'polite', in respect to what they would define patronisingly as 'tolerance' toward people of minority background and would have some minority communities within them that have established themselves for some time.

Thats not to say that there are open racists both in the towns and the countryside, but these tend to concentrate around rural environs, linked, I'd say to poverty and casting around for someone to blame with a background of proportionally low diversity within such areas.

As you go through south of France, Spain and the Mediterranean, you are hitting countries where despite there being diverse communities, the racism can be open and nasty - in all areas. I would put this down to 1) Being closer to Africa and traffic, 2) Never really addressing the evil of their colonial pasts in any meaningful way, as thus maintaining a typical European attitude toward whitewashing the bad **** of the past 3) Very traditional countries, in relation to their culture i.e. no matter how bad taste some traditions are, now viewed from the perspective of someone living in 2014, they continue to practice them, with the same mindset. This may be anything from how animals are butchered for some occasions, to casual derogative descriptive words for ethnic groups.

I would say that most of London is very multicultural, not just in a superficial sense, and anyone travelling abroad to Europe who is a person of colour concerned about their reception, would do well to visit London, before gambling elsewhere.

However, Britain is the bastion of Empire, the Daily Mail, The Sun, Football Hooligans, Every Bad thing that Europeans Did Originated There..... the paternalistic, patronising, smugly superior, We Can Beat Up the World If We Want To.. attitude remains. Its just requires a gentle push, and then it all comes boiling out, class, wealth, historical superiority is just an aggravation away and is a glass ceiling for many, not just people of ethnic groups, but those especially.

Last edited by Concaine; 02-04-2014 at 01:28 PM..

Old 02-04-2014, 01:36 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,601,133 times
Well, it isn't that we feel superior, it's that we know we are.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:40 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,807,206 times
which country in europe is not racial consiuous is a better question. ofc most countries in europe aren't outright racist, but most people know black from white so to say....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe