Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 04:51 PM

58 posts, read 94,845 times

Advertisements

There is so much BS and stereotypes here. People always say how racist Southern/Eastern Europe countries are and how tolerant and modern Northern/Western European countries are. I KNOW there are tolerant people everywhere, and they outnumber racist ones EVERYWHERE in Europe. Just that Southern/Eastern European racists are sometimes more open about it, even to the point of becoming violent. While Northern/Western European racists are generally more hypocritical about it and deny it. I am Spanish and can't be that racist, because my GF is Romanian and I love her because of her personality, I couldn't care less about her nationality.
To the OP: go to whatever country you want to go, you will be finding welcoming people everywhere, just as you may find some idiots but they are a minority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 05:24 PM

26,793 posts, read 22,572,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
It is easy to say.

I see you are from Vienna. Let me ask you this:

1) how many of your close friends are non-white (those you would invite to your/your kids' birthday party?

2) how many of your local councilors are non-white?

3) how many of your the anchor men/women on your major TV stations are non-white?

4) how many senior managers in your company are non-white?

your 25-31% only represents non-local. I was talking about non-White people with vastly different cultural background (Vietnam vs Italy instead of France vs Greece).
In this respect ALL European countries are "race conscious," only the separation doesn't go strictly within racial lines ( as it is the case in the New World, ) but more within the cultural lines; as in racially similar but culturally different people ( as for example Eastern Europeans in Western Europe) will be still pretty much a very separate group of people, as much as non-whites.

Old 02-05-2014, 04:00 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,037,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concaine View Post
As with all things pertaining to 'race' in respect to the experience of minorities, its best asking those minorities who experience travelling through Europe for an authentic experience.

Most, if not all European countries are racist, they differ in how outwardly its shown and usually, this is reflected by the demographics and political background.

Usually, town centres, especially ones which are the capitals of 'mainstream Euro Cities', do not display openly racist ideology, although obviously there are exceptions. I would say that Northern Europe is more 'polite', in respect to what they would define patronisingly as 'tolerance' toward people of minority background and would have some minority communities within them that have established themselves for some time.

Thats not to say that there are open racists both in the towns and the countryside, but these tend to concentrate around rural environs, linked, I'd say to poverty and casting around for someone to blame with a background of proportionally low diversity within such areas.

As you go through south of France, Spain and the Mediterranean, you are hitting countries where despite there being diverse communities, the racism can be open and nasty - in all areas. I would put this down to 1) Being closer to Africa and traffic, 2) Never really addressing the evil of their colonial pasts in any meaningful way, as thus maintaining a typical European attitude toward whitewashing the bad **** of the past 3) Very traditional countries, in relation to their culture i.e. no matter how bad taste some traditions are, now viewed from the perspective of someone living in 2014, they continue to practice them, with the same mindset. This may be anything from how animals are butchered for some occasions, to casual derogative descriptive words for ethnic groups.

I would say that most of London is very multicultural, not just in a superficial sense, and anyone travelling abroad to Europe who is a person of colour concerned about their reception, would do well to visit London, before gambling elsewhere.

However, Britain is the bastion of Empire, the Daily Mail, The Sun, Football Hooligans, Every Bad thing that Europeans Did Originated There..... the paternalistic, patronising, smugly superior, We Can Beat Up the World If We Want To.. attitude remains. Its just requires a gentle push, and then it all comes boiling out, class, wealth, historical superiority is just an aggravation away and is a glass ceiling for many, not just people of ethnic groups, but those especially.
EVERY bad thing that all Europeans did is because of Britain and the British! WOW! I didn't realise I lived in such an evil country full of such evil people! I just thought I was 'better' than your 'average' European but in reality I guess I must be evil myself too!

Old 02-05-2014, 10:06 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,373,234 times
In this thread, 'socially conscious non-racists' express extreme prejudice and bigotry against Americans and the British.

Congratulations, hypocrites!

Oh and this: "There has not being any racial war unless you consider Nazis as real racists, they were just loonies." is just the most charming bit of revisionism I have read in a long time.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:33 AM

26,793 posts, read 22,572,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
In this thread, 'socially conscious non-racists' express extreme prejudice and bigotry against Americans and the British.

Congratulations, hypocrites!

Oh and this: "There has not being any racial war unless you consider Nazis as real racists, they were just loonies." is just the most charming bit of revisionism I have read in a long time.
Not me.
I've said ALL European countries were racially conscious.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:53 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,585,525 times
come to stockholm, very few are swedish since more than 1 generation back...

u better be ready to pick up your koran, because around here people were routin for Bin Ladin to win the afghanistan war :P

All jokes aside, I think like 70% of stockholm are from african/middle eastern, muslim families by now...

Old 02-06-2014, 03:20 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,930,620 times
One of the most ironic things I watched on YouTube is a video of a Polish guy on a racist tirade against two Bangladeshi-descent men on a London subway train, where he asks them to go back to "their country", and a British guy offscreen tells him to shut up

Old 02-06-2014, 03:32 PM

Stereotypes never die. THAT ONE Polish guy (he should at least be more respectful) doesn't mean 100% of people from former communist countries are like that. Sad...

Old 02-06-2014, 03:33 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,601,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
come to stockholm, very few are swedish since more than 1 generation back...

u better be ready to pick up your koran, because around here people were routin for Bin Ladin to win the afghanistan war :P

All jokes aside, I think like 70% of stockholm are from african/middle eastern, muslim families by now...
" Approximately 27% of Stockholm's residents are of an immigrant or non-Swedish background."

Old 02-06-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
" Approximately 27% of Stockholm's residents are of an immigrant or non-Swedish background."
Ghetto immigrants don't really count though, especially those from Rinkeby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe