Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 10:20 AM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
But perhaps we need to point out that when Peter's ancestors made their appearance in the 20th they made a touchy situation even worse. I thought they 'took advantage'. The
What "Peter's ancestors?" They were all Baltic Germans)))
So no, in Tzarist times Russians didn't take any advantage of the Balts; in fact back in those days Balts preferrred to be part of the Russian empire rather than to go to Germany; Russians were less harsh on them and were keeping more of their privileges - meaning Baltic *gubernias* ( regions) were even free from serfdom, unlike the rest of Russia. But they were still very poor, and Latvians in particular were playing a big role in bringing Soviets to power.

Quote:
I'd say the Soviet presence did much harm, much harm to the development of those countries. Frankly, they were hated
If you are talking Stalins' times ( i.e. the times of the WWII) they were probably hated by him for obvious reasons, but there was no "hatred" towards Balts in post-Stalins' times.

Quote:
and no one except those who were in love with the hammer and sickle and loved Ladas at the same time were glad to see them go and bid them goodbye with please 'close the door after you'.
Lol no, it was the other way around; the die-hard communists hated to see Baltic countries go; for the rest of Russian population Baltic struggle to get out of the Soviet Union was actually a good sign- it was a sign of crumbling power of Soviet authorities.

Quote:
The error the Soviets made was unfortunately not being 'lovable' to their subjects.
What do you mean by "Soviets" exactly in this case?

Last edited by erasure; 02-05-2014 at 11:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 10:24 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,231,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
"Too expensive" doesn't quite describe it; everyone knows that it's Putin's playground; his and his cronies from "Ozero" co-op - Rottenberg et al.
I read about "Ozero" in Navalny, but do not know it's true or false.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
I read about "Ozero" in Navalny, but do not know it's true or false.
So far everything that he mentioned was true.
It's just I happen not to like Navalny. To me he is too corporate, too americanized, and needless to say he is a nationalist, even if "nationalist lite."

Old 02-05-2014, 10:45 AM

257 posts, read 518,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Americans aren’t very good with European history, especially pre-20th century. To the average American, Eastern Europe means the former Warsaw Pact countries.
I am not talking about Americans in particular. Let´s say it is not a good idea to start a conversation in the Czech Republic by claiming "how much you love this Eastern Europe". A simple truth is that most Czechs do not want to be connected in any way with Russia because the country associates, especially among the old, a former opressor and a symbol of reactionism and obscurantism. Do not get me wrong "normal" Russians are welcomed, I just do not want in my country those Russians with what I call "russian manners"

Old 02-05-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiri View Post
I am not talking about Americans in particular. Let´s say it is not a good idea to start a conversation in the Czech Republic by claiming "how much you love this Eastern Europe". A simple truth is that most Czechs do not want to be connected in any way with Russia because the country associates, especially among the old, a former opressor and a symbol of reactionism and obscurantism. Do not get me wrong "normal" Russians are welcomed, I just do not want in my country those Russians with what I call "russian manners"
Those are downright scary creatures.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:31 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
But perhaps we need to point out that when Peter's ancestors made their appearance in the 20th they made a touchy situation even worse. I thought they 'took advantage'. The proverbial 'bear' in the china shop. I'd say the Soviet presence did much harm, much harm to the development of those countries. Frankly, they were hated and no one except those who were in love with the hammer and sickle and loved Ladas at the same time were glad to see them go and bid them goodbye with please 'close the door after you'. The error the Soviets made was unfortunately not being 'lovable' to their subjects.
Having lived for some time in one of those Eastern Bloc countries and also traveling among the others, I couldn't agree more with that last sentence. They were seen as bullies with no politesse. The rest of your post rings true as well.

+5 from me.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:45 AM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Let them have that perception. It's born of ignorance.

Travel in Eastern Europe remains wonderfully inexpensive and historic. Fewer tourists and a favorable exchange rate.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:11 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,616,564 times
Quote:
What do you mean by "Soviets" exactly in this case?
I tried to make my post commenting on 'recent' events because Russia's history goes back thousands of years. I would be here for days writing my post..you wouldn't like me hogging up all the space!..;-)...

That 'recent' event would be say immediately after WWII when Soviet Russia had that great great pride (and of course I concur on that) of blasting away those Nazis suffering much in deaths and destruction in the process. Pride has good effects but we saw that they also seemed to take their tanks out of their garages and brought them on 'maneuvers' in other places. Certainy ok if the ride was in their own territory but it had consequences, terrible consequences, when they mowed down the fences and sped onto other geography. Did the war teach them anything? What I speak about is I must say a heinous act. I speak of great tragedy, sorrowful tragedy. I do lament it as having to be part of a Soviet historical moment.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:16 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,185,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Hello, how about Nobel prize in literature?

Knut Hamsun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hamsun's legacy is tainted by his strong Nazi sympathies. That is the reason I did not mention him.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:21 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,616,564 times
Quote:
Having lived for some time in one of those Eastern Bloc countries and also traveling among the others, I couldn't agree more with that last sentence. They were seen as bullies with no politesse.
Great that you went there to take on the ambiance and the culture of those countries. A little different from the Western countries wouldn't you say? I'd suggest that you no doubt saw 'joie de vivre' in the streets and the homes of the populace. But what you may not pick up on the surface is a subtle sorrow and a sense of a little quiet disorientation emanating and drifting from the past onto the present. I'd think that with each succeeding generation that will ease a bit since memory has a tendency to fade with time. They then won't have to have the burden of a troubled past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe