Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 08:24 PM

26,794 posts, read 22,572,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
It seems to be that the mentality of most Russians are still "either you're with us or against us". When speaking with Finnish-Russians, they mostly understand that we criticize everything, but on Internet forums Russian persons feel personally offended if someone says anything bad about Russia. And they have to vigorously defend their country against all "uninformed westerners".
There might be two explanations for that; explanation number one - is that Russians have their own reason for convictions unknown to the rest of humankind ( like for example love for their motherland no matter what,) and number two - the absence of reliable objective information on practically anything, where it's a staple feature for Western cultures. In Western cultures it's only a matter of personal interest how much one wants to dig on any subject, be that politics, economy or history - there are reputable sources and there are reputable authors available out there on any subject, in spite of the array of professed opinions.
That's not a case in Russia. If you go back to imperial times, then this was a privilege only of educated upper class ( the rest of population was simply illiterate for the most part,) then we don't need even to mention the Soviet times for obvious reasons, and even TODAY, with seemingly unlimited access to information, for Russians it's still both limited and unreliable as far as I can see. The TV is indeed controlled by the government; the internet sites are so full of junk, that it's not easy to figure out what's serious subjects/sources and what - yellow press. The major publications are not 100% reliable, and even if they come up with worthy news, it's not easy to dig a lot of information on certain subjects and to sort it all out. And foreign publications? You can find only what someone is willing to translate for their own agenda/purposes. I mean things are getting really funny sometimes when I get accused of spreading "Soviet propaganda," and I have to quote English-speaking sites as a source of my information - for example Wikipedia. Speaking of Wikipedia by the way - this is yet another disaster in Russian version, up to a point that I want to ask that James Walsh (or whatever his name is,) whether his stuff even checks on what's passing under his brand on Russian site. I mean when I have to argue about economy/politics on my forum and I turn to Russian Wikipedia, hoping to avoid any translations from English Wiki, my eyes are literally bugging out. What English Wiki puts at the beginning of explanations as the most important thing devoting to it the whole page, the Russian wiki might put in one sentence as a reference, at the very bottom of the page, while rearranging the rest in such manner, that you can't even recognize the whole subject or the point that should have been made. When someone tried to quote me Russian Wiki lately, I've already said that it's a garbage and had to quote English wiki instead, in order to bring my point across. ( In Russian version the very important part in that particular case was simply completely absent.)
So this is yet another reason, why Russians have to "vigorously defend their country from uninformed Westerners" in such abrupt manner. Had they have more detailed, objective and reliable information, they'd be probably more confident and less cocky, lol. That's just my guess.

Quote:
Like in "300,000 Romanians died in WWII" - shut up they were all nazis and we liberated them in the end!
Well Romania did fight on Hitler's side as far as I remember and that was the main reason why Russian troops ended up there, so they have a point. (That's not to say that 300, 000 Romanians didn't die in WWII)

Quote:
"100,000 Finns died in WWII" - shut up you were responsible to the siege of Leningrad
The Finnish support of German troops and closeness of Finland's border to Leningrad played a big role in reluctance of Soviet commandment to give up the city, which led to the siege as far as I remember.
But being meticulous and detail-oriented was never a strong point of Russian character))) ( that's why those mentioned by you were getting "straight to a point" in their mind))

Quote:
"Many Latvians fought against the USSR" - shut up they were SS antisemitists
"Latvian Einsatzgruppen and police participated in the Holocaust. 80 000 to 100 000 Latvian citizens were killed during the Nazi occupation, including ca. 70 000 Latvian Jews"

Military history of Latvia during World War II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As you can see they are not too much off, even if "many Latvians fought against the USSR."
Did I mention that Russians are not particularly detail-oriented people?
Remember that bear that sat on top of the little house in Russian fairytale?

Last edited by erasure; 02-06-2014 at 09:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Cuba. Boy, I'd be curious how that Cuban gentleman views life on that isle and how he sees us..the Yanquis is it?
More or less, although he never used this word.

Quote:
Well for me I certainly don't 'hate' Russians. And I'll certainly admit I have 'issues' but it's couched in history. My concern is that when I go to Russia will I get the same treatment as a er 'Westerner' and a US one at that?...;-)....
"Westerners" ( Americans including) get different treatment ( depending on Russians one deals with,) but for the most part you'll find that Russians are very militant on-line and are quite amicable in person.

Quote:
For sure, I come in peace with respect but will speak my mind. Question is do I need to be prepared for anything?
Define "anything" please.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:42 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,621,421 times
Quote:
Define "anything" please.
Well you know that 'Yanqui' go home business and the baggage that comes with it. But in a way I also believe 'macro' relationships between countries have much much more tension and stupidity flwoing around it as opposed to the 'micro' which occurs on a personal level. But at least when you're with somebody you can really understand how 'stupid' two people could be on some things.

Old 02-07-2014, 02:10 PM

102,220 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
There might be two explanations for that; explanation number one - is that Russians have their own reason for convictions unknown to the rest of humankind ( like for example love for their motherland no matter what,) and number two - the absence of reliable objective information on practically anything, where it's a staple feature for Western cultures. In Western cultures it's only a matter of personal interest how much one wants to dig on any subject, be that politics, economy or history - there are reputable sources and there are reputable authors available out there on any subject, in spite of the array of professed opinions.
That's not a case in Russia.
I love your posts!

Personally, I don't much care that E Europe has a bad image in the West. (or wherever). Many of those countries are great places to visit, the people are fabulous, and that's what's important, imho. And the price is right in most cases.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
So this is yet another reason, why Russians have to "vigorously defend their country from uninformed Westerners" in such abrupt manner. Had they have more detailed, objective and reliable information, they'd be probably more confident and less cocky, lol. That's just my guess.

You know I'm curious how many have passports??? Travel expands the mind wonderfully, you know????...;-)...No tickee, no understanding, nothing to check off against you know?

Old 02-08-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Many of those countries are great places to visit, the people are fabulous, and that's what's important, imho. And the price is right in most cases.
Kind of off the beaten path too. It's a great place if one is that kind of traveler. Personally, I'm always 'at home' there.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
It seems to be that the mentality of most Russians are still "either you're with us or against us". When speaking with Finnish-Russians, they mostly understand that we criticize everything, but on Internet forums Russian persons feel personally offended if someone says anything bad about Russia. And they have to vigorously defend their country against all "uninformed westerners".
You haven't noticed that a lot of Americans fit this description online, as well?

Old 02-08-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
You know I'm curious how many have passports??? Travel expands the mind wonderfully, you know????...;-)...No tickee, no understanding, nothing to check off against you know?
International travel has become very popular and very accessible for Russians since 1991. Entire tourist complexes have been built just for that market in some countries. Those with modest budgets go to Turkey, Thailand, Egypt and other low-budget destinations. Dharamsala is popular with Buddhists from Russia (you'd be surprised how many there are). People with more means travel farther afield: Latin America, the Amazon, the Caribbean, the US or Western Europe on group tours. Those with friends in the West (or East) are able to travel on their own. And scholars are able to travel internationally for conferences without restriction. Russia's citizens love to travel!

What we're running into online is propagandists, pure and simple. They don't represent the bulk of Russia's citizenry. Don't dignify them with the assumption that they do.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
I have a great idea.
I do have a passport.
Why don't I go to Riviera this summer?
I'm sure this will expand my mind wonderfully.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:48 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,742,574 times
Quote:
I'm not European or Russian but can understand the Russian perspective to a degree. That "defensiveness" may in reality be more surprise and irritation at having to deal with an uninformed and judgemental foreigner.

While western / northern Europeans may "criticise everything" (I don't disagree with you on that point for number of reasons), that doesn't stop people in other parts of the world interpreting that from a different cultural perspective as "European arrogance".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe