Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 01:12 AM

63 posts, read 193,970 times

Advertisements

I wish to rent a studio or one bedroom in Paris and live there for a month.

I have never been to Paris.

I speak a bit of Canadian French

Is it safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 01:24 AM

63 posts, read 193,970 times
Please give tips and advice. Including where can I find rental at reasonable rate.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:53 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,935,425 times
You sound like you are talking about the US of A, where safety is really a concern. Europe is safe in general and so is Paris. There are some suburbs you'd better avoid, like the ones where the riots took place several years ago. Paris is very expensive and finding something for only a month instead of staying in a hotel seems rather uncommon.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:25 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,595,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeplesspeach View Post
I wish to rent a studio or one bedroom in Paris and live there for a month.

I have never been to Paris.

I speak a bit of Canadian French

Is it safe?
No.

Paris is a warzone

Old 02-08-2014, 03:43 AM

1,327 posts, read 2,607,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
You sound like you are talking about the US of A, where safety is really a concern. Europe is safe in general and so is Paris. There are some suburbs you'd better avoid, like the ones where the riots took place several years ago. Paris is very expensive and finding something for only a month instead of staying in a hotel seems rather uncommon.
Short term rental is very popular in Paris, so much that the municipality want to restrict this activity because this leads to less housing for inhabitants and Paris has a big housing shortage.

For the areas, the most important factor is the transportation, as long you are close to the metro, it is rather good.
Don't try to be necessarily in the heart or close to famous areas, you will pay a lot for not much more.
Everywhere inside the City of Paris and innermost suburbs (zone 1-2), you will have a lot of shopping and activities.
If you are a bit in concern with security, the northeart corner is seen as the most dangerous area but even here you risk almost nothing.
As Paris is a big city, you just need to be little aware and careful everywhere like in any big cities.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:38 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,267,455 times
I'll have a flat to rent for short term in the 14th arrondissement, from June 2014. It is safe, millions of young women live in Paris without problems. Normal precautions are required as anywhere else.
If you speak 'canadian french' then you speak french, it is the same language... Just the accent differs and some expressions but it is one unique language.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:33 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,396,101 times
I am a late 30's female. I have been all over Paris by myself, walking and taking the metro. Stay in central Paris, near a touristy area and you will be fine. Some of the burbs have more crime and I felt unsafe when I went to a flea market north of the city.

Don't stay out too late, the subways close down and it is torture to get a cab.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:26 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Just watch out for thieves and pickpockets. That's all you have to worry about.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:52 PM

545 posts, read 866,977 times
Oh, and don't fall asleep in the subway.. Could seem obvious but sometimes.. when you have drank too much wine, you could forget it

Old 02-08-2014, 02:16 PM

158 posts, read 382,863 times
Like others have said before, try to avoid the north and you'll be fine - areas like Barbes (especially!! the place gives me the creeps), Chapelle.
If you can afford it, try to stay right inside the city, almost everything will be a walking distance or a short metro ride away.
Google "studio a louer en Paris" and you will get plenty of sites where you can find a place - I'm not sure I can post the names here.

If you take normal precautions, everything will be ok.
And your Canadian French won't cause any problems. Paris is filled with tourists at any given time, your slight accent won't even get noticed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe