Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 07:45 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 5 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,603,118 times

Advertisements

I don't blame the Germans for being offended about being associated with the Nazis one bit.

That's like the old saw about White Southerners being racist because 50 years ago they made Blacks sit at the back of the bus, separate the water fountains, schools, etc etc.

It assumes children are a fax copy of their parents - which obviously was not true of Baby Boomers as a whole, given the Greatest Generation as a whole was/is more socially conservative. C'mon, it's not that much of a creative leap to transfer that same principle to people of other countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 08:53 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,890,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Germans today mostly don't consider the Nazi era THEIR past. Just like white Americans today mostly refuse to be associated with the killing of millions of Africans during the slavery era. Germans today are just tired of people outside Germany not getting over it...

Apart from that, Germans think the same about Nazis as other people do. Some Germans, Americans, etc. are fans of the Nazis and their ideology, but most Germans, Americans, etc. don't like them. I would not say hate because hating implies passion, which people today usually don't feel due to the remoteness of that time.

I guess it is always important to point out that Nazis is not the same as Germans, not now, not back then. Many Germans went to war because they had to (just like Americans today have to go to war wherever they are sent by Washington), not because they were Nazis (voting for another party was really dangerous back then, people had loved ones they had to think of). Nor was WWII as such the sole fault of the Germans, some already warned at the end of WWI that Germany was being pushed into that direction by the way WWI was settled. Nor was the Holocaust the sole fault of the Germans, the US played a key role because wealthy racist Americans (Rockefeller foundation etc.) openly funded and inspired Hitler's pseudo-science regarding race etc.
There was a reason why I put their between ""...
Then, I mostly agree with what you said, maybe some historical consideration but this is neither the place nor the time to discuss them.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:15 AM

24,597 posts, read 10,921,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Just a side thought here. The international community is much harsher to Germany than to Japan, with respect to this issue.

Japanese politicians can openly deny some war crimes, "revise" text books, and even worship war criminals at a shrine.
Although Japanese did not commit genocide, they murdered and raped way too many civilians, and used "comfort women" from Japan and other Asian countries. Even my great grandfather was killed by Japanese.

Japanese also conducted "biological experiments" on POWs and civilians, including Chinese, Russians and Americans. Just google "Unit 731". The US obtained all the "medical data" at the end of the war; and as a condition, the criminals were not even punished

You don't see these things in Hollywood movies that much.
It sounds like you are a member of the "Google Generation". Why do you not google Chinese war crimes for a change? Scratch your own nose. Nobody loves a looser so Germany it is until the next big war.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:00 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,764,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
It sounds like you are a member of the "Google Generation". Why do you not google Chinese war crimes for a change? Scratch your own nose. Nobody loves a looser so Germany it is until the next big war.
I learned all these in history class in China. At that time there was no google.

China did NOT commit any severe war crime against other nations in recent history.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:06 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
I agree on Japan, terrible history as well.
Nor is Germany a looser, actually, it is a winner yet again (which pisses some of its former enemies off), just look at it today, probably the most solid economy in the world, hence giant surpluses, in the top 10 in all kinds of rankings...

Old 02-12-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I agree on Japan, terrible history as well.
Nor is Germany a looser, actually, it is a winner yet again (which pisses some of its former enemies off), just look at it today, probably the most solid economy in the world, hence giant surpluses, in the top 10 in all kinds of rankings...
The real loser is China.
China had been a unified republic and developed fast before WWII. The Japanese ruined everything.
The communists manged to strengthen themselves during and after the war, and eventually won the civil war in 1949. They could have been eliminated by the government forces if Japanese did not invade.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:20 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
I don't think China is the looser, maybe it was for some time. But no longer...

Old 02-12-2014, 11:49 AM

24,597 posts, read 10,921,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I learned all these in history class in China. At that time there was no google.

China did NOT commit any severe war crime against other nations in recent history.
20 year old information?

Old 02-12-2014, 12:16 PM

270 posts, read 593,388 times
Well said, Neuling!

Right now, in this minute, many people in Dresden (East Germany) protest against Neo Nazis, like every year on this day.

Germany: Protest against the Nazi rally in Dresden on February 13, 2014 « Contra Info

Old 02-12-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
20 year old information?
WWII had happened well before 20 years ago.
Are you a Japanese or something? Take it easy. What do you want to deny btw? The rape of Nanking or Unit 731?

My great grandfather was brutally murdered by Japanese invaders but I still have Japanese friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe