Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2014, 04:04 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times

Advertisements

The existing differences do not mean that they show in every sentence. Nor do they mean that individual words do not exist in the other variant. What happens is that often words have a different meaning and that compound words also have a different meaning, although they consist of words that do exist in the other variant as well.
A typical example might be dust bin vs trash can. Of course all four words are known in both countries.

Sometimes the difference is also mere frequency of usage, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 04:22 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,037,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
The existing differences do not mean that they show in every sentence. Nor do they mean that individual words do not exist in the other variant. What happens is that often words have a different meaning and that compound words also have a different meaning, although they consist of words that do exist in the other variant as well.
A typical example might be dust bin vs trash can. Of course all four words are known in both countries.

Sometimes the difference is also mere frequency of usage, though.
Yes I agree that there are some examples of difference in dialect (not just between countries but also between regions IN countries) even between neighbouring cities eg between Manchester and Liverpool, but its not a different language. If A German learns his/her English in the US or the UK they will end up speaking the same language, it won't be British English or American English just English, I used to have a Croatian wife who learnt her English in the UK, she had a friend who learnt her English in the US (both au pairs) and they BOTH spoke identical English with an identical accent (a Croatian one!)

Old 03-09-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Yes I agree that there are some examples of difference in dialect (not just between countries but also between regions IN countries) even between neighbouring cities eg between Manchester and Liverpool, but its not a different language. If A German learns his/her English in the US or the UK they will end up speaking the same language, it won't be British English or American English just English, I used to have a Croatian wife who learnt her English in the UK, she had a friend who learnt her English in the US (both au pairs) and they BOTH spoke identical English with an identical accent (a Croatian one!)
First, nobody here said they are different languages in the linguistic sense. They are variants of the same language, yet clearly distinct.

I doubt what you say about the outcome. I am not a native speaker and I clearly speak American English, not British English. Actually, I switched from the latter to the former at some time because I started out learning British English at school, like almost everyone in Europe. But I noticed early on that it makes more sense to switch to American English. I remember that one of my English teachers (who like all of them was into British English) didn't like my English at all, but couldn't change anything about it as there was nothing "wrong" with it linguistically speaking The mere way I pronounce the word rather must have driven her mad She kept marking my American spelling with squiggly lines, to no avail

Old 03-09-2014, 04:31 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,866,273 times
Quote:
No I am not! Action replay, instant replay - the words action, instant and replay are all English English! Will you 'translate my post into 'American English like I asked to prove the existence of it as a different language please?
Easthome, please read the Wikipedia page on the word "dialect". This will remedy your confusion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialect

A "dialect" is not a language. American English, for example, is not a separate language from Australian English. American English is, however, a separate "dialect" from Australian English. A "dialect" is something like a sub category of a language. Every language has different "dialects". The English language has numerous dialects, with American English being the name for a set of dialects from America, British English the name for the dialects from the UK, and Australian English being the name for dialects from Australia. These are considered different dialects because of any of the following differences: they are spoken with different accents, the slang is different, spelling can be different, and/or the grammatical rules can be different. Canadian French, and European French are examples of two different dialects of French. There are European Spanish and Mexican Spanish as examples of two different dialects of Spanish. Within these larger frameworks of dialects, there are more dialects. Within American English, for example, there is New York English, Southern English, African American Vernacular, and so on.

Here are a list of English language dialects: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialects_of_English

Old 03-09-2014, 04:35 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,866,273 times
Quote:
Easthome, nobody has claimed in any way that American English and British English are two different languages. However, we all have claimed or implied that they are two different dialects of English. For example, a Briton writes "harbour" while an American writes "harbor". This is an example of two different dialects manifesting themselves through spelling. If one Crotaion writes "harbour" and the other "harbor", it is indicative that one person learned English from the former British empire, and tho other learned English from the United States.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Easthome, nobody has claimed in any way that American English and British English are two different languages. However, we all have claimed or implied that they are two different dialects of English. For example, a Briton writes "harbour" while an American writes "harbor". This is an example of two different dialects manifesting themselves through spelling. If one Crotaion writes "harbour" and the other "harbor", it is indicative that one person learned English from the former British empire, and tho other learned English from the United States.
What I am saying is that Ive known people that have learnt English both sides of the pond and Ive never noticed any of them lean towards one 'dialect' or the other, Nueling says he speaks 'American English', I argue that he is mistaken, he may think he does but in reality he doesnt, he speaks English like any other German regardless of whether they learnt the language over here or over there.

Old 03-09-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
What I am saying is that Ive known people that have learnt English both sides of the pond and Ive never noticed any of them lean towards one 'dialect' or the other, Nueling says he speaks 'American English', I argue that he is mistaken, he may think he does but in reality he doesnt, he speaks English like any other German regardless of whether they learnt the language over here or over there.
You are mistaken. Unlike 99% of Germans I have turned English into my profession. I am not one of those "sis is my broser" Germans
When I lived in Britain, there was a British employee at an Internet cafe where I used to go. The first time we talked he asked me whether I was American He was clearly surprised when I told him I was German

When talking to native speakers, after 3 or 4 words I usually know whether they are from Britain or North America, the sound is very different, the rhythm is different, the melody is different.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
You are mistaken. Unlike 99% of Germans I have turned English into my profession. I am not one of those "sis is my broser" Germans
When I lived in Britain, there was a British employee at an Internet cafe where I used to go. The first time we talked he asked me whether I was American He was clearly surprised when I told him I was German

When talking to native speakers, after 3 or 4 words I usually know whether they are from Britain or North America, the sound is very different, the rhythm is different, the melody is different.
When you speak English to an English speaker they will not know that you are speaking either 'American English', 'English' or 'Australian English', they will just hear you speaking English with a German accent the sound of English only varies because of the accent, the rhythm and melody is only different depending on the individual speaker (not all English people sound the same - there is a HUGE variety of accents). The ONLY way that somebody who's native accent is English would assume you are speaking 'American English' would be if you spoke English with an American (not German) accent and even then you wont be speaking 'American English' just English with an American accent.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
When you speak English to an English speaker they will not know that you are speaking either 'American English', 'English' or 'Australian English', they will just hear you speaking English with a German accent the sound of English only varies because of the accent, the rhythm and melody is only different depending on the individual speaker (not all English people sound the same - there is a HUGE variety of accents). The ONLY way that somebody who's native accent is English would assume you are speaking 'American English' would be if you spoke English with an American (not German) accent and even then you wont be speaking 'American English' just English with an American accent.
Of course I speak English with an American accent, a rather strong one. Pronunciation is one factor that determines American English.
I have hardly any German accent anymore, which I am very proud of If anything I probably have a slight Portuguese accent by now
But apart from the accent, I also speak American English because I don't use any of those typical British words and terms, but the American ones instead. So even if I had no accent whatsoever, I would speak American English.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:34 AM

35 posts, read 238,917 times
Quote:

Hell, no. Of course you can adopt accents. I do speak with a pronounced deep south accent that can be noticed over my original accent. For example, "dawg", "I recogn", "mother-effers"..those are things you pick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe