Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 02:09 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,348,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Why are you on a forum speaking English then?
I am the 1%

But seriously: How many other Austrians participate here? Most of them would join one of the big German/Austrian/Swiss message boards. I became a member of this site mainly because none of the local ones have that many nut-jobs contributing. Browsing through the Religion, History or Politics board is just hilarious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 02:17 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,254,996 times
I like it - makes life easier for me

Old 02-27-2014, 03:51 AM

261 posts, read 512,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
I am the 1%

But seriously: How many other Austrians participate here? Most of them would join one of the big German/Austrian/Swiss message boards. I became a member of this site mainly because none of the local ones have that many nut-jobs contributing. Browsing through the Religion, History or Politics board is just hilarious.
I have always wanted to visit foreign countries web sites to see how the world looks from their point of view (with the help of google translator of course). I do not believe that I have ever been on a web site that catered primarily to British, German, Polish, Canadian ect, all America.

Kind of disappointing that those sites seem to be lacking crazies--lets just admit it without them who else is going to bring life into boring topics of politics and create wild threads that have you up way past bed time.....Can you please suggest a few.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:19 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,348,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumNCoke View Post
I have always wanted to visit foreign countries web sites to see how the world looks from their point of view (with the help of google translator of course). I do not believe that I have ever been on a web site that catered primarily to British, German, Polish, Canadian ect, all America.

Kind of disappointing that those sites seem to be lacking crazies--lets just admit it without them who else is going to bring life into boring topics of politics and create wild threads that have you up way past bed time.....Can you please suggest a few.
Oh, believe me. We have them too. The ones posting in the comment section of diepresse.com for example. They're crazy in a scary way, though. Not in a funny way as in threads like "America's descent into Marxism...", "Why The Left Hates Guns" or "Should America become a Fascist nation?". "To the well traveled, do you feel America is the best place to live?" was also a great laugh, as are most of the Creationists' posts.

But on a more serious note: Yeah, I think it's important to see the world from a different angle at times. Even when it comes to a matter like the Swiss initiative adopted a couple of weeks ago. German, Austrian and Swiss-German views differ significantly on that. So it's quite refreshing to read Swiss newspapers like NZZ or BaZ on that.

This thread seems to imply that most of the world is entirely focused on the Anglosphere, which is a grave exaggeration in my opinion. This is probably due to fact that English-speakers themselves are completely emerged in the Anglosphere with little to no news from the outside getting to them. Even a dwarf nation like Liechtenstein has two newspapers focusing solely on their own domestic affairs...

Old 02-27-2014, 05:05 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,825,803 times
I don't feel it. I use Finnish in everyday interaction, and also speak another very minnow language that I usually use. C-D and BBC are the only English websites I spend time on, everything else either in Finnish or Swedish. The TV series I watch are predominantly American, but recently I've watched a Chinese, Korean and a couple of French movies. Used to watch Poirot as well when it ran.

I don't feel overwhelmed by English. I use it, and I know it's the dominant language in business and also in academic circles, but so what? I speak English and gladly use it. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't have any interest in learning new languages. I already know the basics of French and German, and will study both these languages until I reach an acceptable level.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:12 AM

35 posts, read 238,917 times
In continental Europe people are capable of speaking two to five languages without having a couple of blown fuses every time they open their mouth.

English is a convenience language, not a dominance language. People in talk and write 99.99 percent of their time in their local language.

You can compare American, since we speak English because of the American influence, not English influence, with a 7-Eleven, it's always there and you can transmit about anything with few words.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:16 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,737,715 times
I consider myself lucky that the current must-learn language isn't Chinese or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky8828 View Post
English is extremely easy to learn especially for the young population thru pop culture/music. It's nice because you don't need to invest time/money into learning it.
In my experience, listening to music in a foreign language doesn't do anything to one's proficiency, even after taking courses in said language.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:28 AM

35 posts, read 238,917 times
English is indeed a difficult language. Pidgin English is easy, as any Pidgin.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:42 AM

667 posts, read 941,086 times
I have sort of a mixed opinion about that.
On the one hand, it's very convenient. You can go anywhere, speak to people from different countries in English. If someone doesn't speak it you can always find another person who does. That makes life easier.
On the other hand, subconsciously I fear that this big English monster will swallow all other languages in future, and it will endanger the very concept of countries and nations, which (in my opinion) makes the world a more interesting place.
Then I comfort myself by thinking that anyway it's not gonna happen anytime soon, and I won't live to see it

Old 02-27-2014, 05:45 AM

667 posts, read 941,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
In my experience, listening to music in a foreign language doesn't do anything to one's proficiency, even after taking courses in said language.
This! I can easily communicate in English, but I often don't really understand the lyrics when I listen to songs. The pronunciation is way too indistinct, and often too much slang is used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe