Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2014, 12:23 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times

Advertisements

One advantage of English is that it uses such a simple alphabet (no language-specific special characters etc.). I have several different keyboard layouts on my computer (and in my mind except for one which is actually printed on my physical keyboard), so I can switch between them depending on which language I have to write in. Sometimes it sucks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 01:09 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_redheadm View Post
As an Irish, I do not like my country having English than Irish as the most used language in my country. I like Malta and Cyprus with English being the second language instead.

I would also prefer that irish was the most widely used language in my country , unlikely to happen anytime soon however

Old 03-19-2014, 06:18 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Oh please.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:01 AM

81 posts, read 108,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
I would also prefer that irish was the most widely used language in my country , unlikely to happen anytime soon however
The survival of a Celtic language in Europe is a miracle, most of Spain had a Celtic language and now there are only a few words left, same with France and Italy. Yes, the promotion of any language is enriching.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:23 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litri View Post
The survival of a Celtic language in Europe is a miracle, most of Spain had a Celtic language and now there are only a few words left, same with France and Italy. Yes, the promotion of any language is enriching.
the irish language has survived in spite of the majority of irish people , a pitiful percentage of the population are fluent in our native tongue

Old 03-21-2014, 08:41 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,864,662 times
IIRC the Welsh are the most likely to speak their native language as a first language or fluently. In addition to the Irish and Welsh, there are the Bretons in France. Unfortunately the Breton language has rapidly diminished from being the first language of most Bretons in 1914, to being a language spoken as a first language by a single digit percentage of the population today.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:47 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,199,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilofardin View Post
English is indeed a difficult language.
But people manage to learn it regardless.. Pretty soon China will have more people who speak English than the USA.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:27 AM

81 posts, read 108,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
IIRC the Welsh are the most likely to speak their native language as a first language or fluently. In addition to the Irish and Welsh, there are the Bretons in France. Unfortunately the Breton language has rapidly diminished from being the first language of most Bretons in 1914, to being a language spoken as a first language by a single digit percentage of the population today.

Briton is a Romance language/dialect.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:20 AM

545 posts, read 866,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litri View Post
Briton is a Romance language/dialect.
What ? No ! Gallo, which is the second language of Brittany is a Latin dialect and a part of langue d'oil. But Briton is definitely a celtic language :

Quote:
Hon Tad,
c'hwi hag a zo en Neñv,
ra vo santelaet hoc'h ano.
Ra zeuio ho Rouantelezh.
Ra vo graet ho youl war an douar evel en neñv.
Roit dimp hizio bara hor bevañs.
Distaolit dimp hon dleoùevel m' hor bo ivez distaolet d' hon dleourion.
Ha n' hon lezit ket da vont gant an temptadur,
met hon dieubit eus an Droug.
Looks like a romance language right ? Stop saying non-sense and use google to double check first please.

By the way there is a revival of Briton in Brittany, plenty of school offer it as a second language.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:43 AM

3 posts, read 2,821 times
English is very popular language in europe. When i was travel by hitchhiking in europe i real dont have problem to comunicative with other pepoles, espetiali with young Polish, German, Czech Republic, Ukrain, Croatia, Hungary. It was worst in France or Spain but not that bad at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe