Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 03:17 PM

1,202 posts, read 2,671,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
To the contrary even, English is considered a simple tool, but non-native speakers do not use it where words need to convey subtle details and differences.
And so, I'm assuming that you believe that the European language with by far the largest vocabulary and body of literature (English) is merely a "simple tool"? I feel for you that you've never been exposed to the extraordinary intricacy of the English language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 03:52 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
And so, I'm assuming that you believe that the European language with by far the largest vocabulary and body of literature (English) is merely a "simple tool"? I feel for you that you've never been exposed to the extraordinary intricacy of the English language.
As I said, to non-native speakers, i.e. all Europeans except most Brits and Irish, English is just another language, a relatively simple one even.

Plus, the average native English speaker doesn't use more words than native speakers of other languages, frankly I get the impression even fewer. In all languages there is an active and a bigger passive vocabulary, i.e. words that native speakers only understand, but don't use, at best. And within that passive vocabulary a lot of words exist that are simply unknown to most native speakers as well. That applies to a lot of English words. In all European languages there are many old words for instance that are still listed, but not used anymore.
And in terms of grammar English is clearly simpler than many other languages.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:46 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,890,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
Most of the "largest vocabulary" isn't even used and English has it because it takes words from everywhere or form verbs/adjective/nouns with every word.
English isn't more expressive than any of the language I know, I could express myself as "intricate" as in English by using my own native Italian.
"Simple tool" refers to the fact that English has a rather simple grammar and it's easiest to grasp it up to an intermediate level whereas most European languages take much more effort.
This doesn't mean that acquiring an high proficiency in English is easy: it's not at all.
English correct pronunciation, phrasal verbs, countless prepositions and several other idioms are hard to memorize and use correctly, yet English is so widespread not only because of the influence of the Anglophone world but also because of its easiness compared to the more complex (and sometimes expressive) grammar of other European languages, comprising Italian which is labelled as the easiest of all languages.
On the other hand, English phonology is totally illogical, compared to the clearness and simplicity of Italian one.
In the end, English is a rather beautiful language: with a huge degree of different sounds, a logical and simple grammar and a vocabulary,whose vastness is rather useful,especially in the written form.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:09 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,245,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Now that English is the unofficial common language among Europeans who speak different languages (say if a Spaniard and a Pole want to speak, they usually go to English), I'm wondering how many Europeans feel about it? Particularly say the French and the Germans? French in particular was the unofficial language of diplomacy in Europe (when did English overtake it) and if history had gone differently French might have been the unofficial global lingua franca. The British Empire and the US combined seem to have successful entrenched English as the language of trade, politics, science, media for a long time now.

Is there some jealousy/resentment? Or do most not really care too much? I heard in some countries young people are even speaking English among themselves, is there a lot of fear that some might even start speaking English instead of say Dutch or German or Swedish? Do some young people sort of admire English or see it as superior/cool? I heard in Norway there was anger at advertisements in English.

It seems Southern Europeans are less open to English though, especially in Italy and Spain.
You really need to get out of your Australian bubble, lol.

There is not a single country in mainland Europe where young people are speaking English amongst themselves instead of their native language. It just doesn't exist. Especially not in Germany where English proficiency is not that great to begin with (barely half the population is able to speak English on a conversational level). If a Dutch person were to suddenly speak English to another Dutch person, knowing they both speak Dutch, people would think he's a nutjob or a poser.

English is merely a tool for communication between people who do not speak the same language. Even then, it's not always the dominant lingua franca. I work in an international environment and when I speak to my Spanish or Italian colleagues, I usually switch to French because they find it easier to understand than English.

Although the Netherlands has one of the highest English proficiency rates in the world (for non-native speakers), the English language is actually far less pervasive than French used to be in the past. French used to be the language spoken amongst the elite and it has left a significant imprint on the Dutch language - far more than the recent influx of English tech-related words. Here's just a small list of French words and expressions used in the Dutch language, and I can assure you there are far more than are mentioned here. Even our national motto is in French ("je maintiendrai"). Walking around Maastricht, where I live, a lot of street names and buildings are in French. The local people here are called sjeng, which is a bastardisation of the name Jean, once a highly popular first name here.

French did not succeed in replacing Dutch as the native language of the Netherlands and neither will English. People use it because it's convenient but they have no emotional attachment to it. As soon as it becomes more rewarding to speak, say, Mandarin, people will drop English in a heartbeat. It's already starting: more and more schools are including Mandarin in their curriculum. English will always maintain some level of popularity (as has French) because it's so close to Dutch but we're a pragmatic people. Whatever is most beneficial to us, that's what we'll do.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:31 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,260,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post

I heard in some countries young people are even speaking English among themselves, is there a lot of fear that some might even start speaking English instead of say Dutch or German or Swedish? Do some young people sort of admire English or see it as superior/cool?
The only example of this i've ever heard about was that some small groups of people in certain sub- cultures do that. They speak the language of the country were this sub- culture started, or the country they admire. I've heard about some dutch punk rockers speaking english and nazi skinheads speaking german.

Maybe you've heard something like that? Other than that i've never heard of it.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:32 AM

667 posts, read 941,086 times
Linda, but as far as I know many foreign expats in the Netherlands (and some other countries) manage to live there for years and decades without even speaking Dutch.
What if international mobility will increase in future? Look, the better people speak English all over the world, the easier it will be for them to move to another country. And they won't really be motivated to learn a local language since "everyone speaks English anyway".
So, there will be more and more English-speaking "bubbles" such as international schools, universities, or jobs where the working language is English and it's enough. Why bother learning a local language if you're in a multicultural environment and it's easier to get by with English?
That may be a threat to any national language I guess. Or am I wrong? I wanna be wrong!

Old 03-01-2014, 05:54 AM

545 posts, read 866,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
Linda, but as far as I know many foreign expats in the Netherlands (and some other countries) manage to live there for years and decades without even speaking Dutch.
What if international mobility will increase in future? Look, the better people speak English all over the world, the easier it will be for them to move to another country. And they won't really be motivated to learn a local language since "everyone speaks English anyway".
So, there will be more and more English-speaking "bubbles" such as international schools, universities, or jobs where the working language is English and it's enough. Why bother learning a local language if you're in a multicultural environment and it's easier to get by with English?
That may be a threat to any national language I guess. Or am I wrong? I wanna be wrong!
If you don't learn the local language while living somewhere, and if you are not a tourist, not in a short-term job and not a loner, then you are a jerk. First you can't integrate if you don't speak the language, you wouldn't understand local news, local culture, etc. And you wouldn't be able to speak with a significant part of the population, and only have low-level kind of conversation with a huge part of the rest of the population.
English is of course the first needed language. But it allows only short interactions (between non-native English speakers). You are quickly restricted by your lack of vocabulary, it's quickly irritating, you can hardly have serious conversations. And it's exhausting in the long run.
Really fluent non-native English speakers are still quite rare (and most were raised in an English environment), people mostly speak global English.
If I had to speak only English with non-native speakers I'll quickly become dumb.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:41 AM

15 posts, read 50,490 times
Being an European, it´s very usefull that one language serves to talk with the rest of the world. English is fairly easy, and most kids in Portugal starting learning it when they are young, so that´s great (our tv is not dubbed which helps). They don´t make a realeffort to learn it, unlike spanish or french.
Other thing, noone in Europe talks in English with ppl from the same country. Unless it´s an "English Club" whose aim is exactly to experience english talking between your pairs.
In Portugal it´s "obligatory" to know Moderate English at least, altough many ppl have advanced level. If you are young and you don´t know it, it´s a bit of "shame" and embarrasment.
But you have more "level" if you can talk fluentely spanish (easier) or french (intelectual language). Few ppl here know German, mostly those who want to emigrate fro this country, like enginners.
For example I am learning Russian in University, and everyone must know English to learn Russian, because there´s no material in portuguese to learn russian. So English is a fundamental tool for almost everyone over 40 here

Old 03-01-2014, 07:56 AM

667 posts, read 941,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekno_lx View Post

In Portugal it´s "obligatory" to know Moderate English at least, altough many ppl have advanced level. If you are young and you don´t know it, it´s a bit of "shame" and embarrasment.
So it's really rare and uncommon for a young Portuguese not to speak English? What is your experience?

Old 03-01-2014, 09:04 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,890,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
You really need to get out of your Australian bubble, lol.

There is not a single country in mainland Europe where young people are speaking English amongst themselves instead of their native language. It just doesn't exist. Especially not in Germany where English proficiency is not that great to begin with (barely half the population is able to speak English on a conversational level). If a Dutch person were to suddenly speak English to another Dutch person, knowing they both speak Dutch, people would think he's a nutjob or a poser.

English is merely a tool for communication between people who do not speak the same language. Even then, it's not always the dominant lingua franca. I work in an international environment and when I speak to my Spanish or Italian colleagues, I usually switch to French because they find it easier to understand than English.

Although the Netherlands has one of the highest English proficiency rates in the world (for non-native speakers), the English language is actually far less pervasive than French used to be in the past. French used to be the language spoken amongst the elite and it has left a significant imprint on the Dutch language - far more than the recent influx of English tech-related words. Here's just a small list of French words and expressions used in the Dutch language, and I can assure you there are far more than are mentioned here. Even our national motto is in French ("je maintiendrai"). Walking around Maastricht, where I live, a lot of street names and buildings are in French. The local people here are called sjeng, which is a bastardisation of the name Jean, once a highly popular first name here.

French did not succeed in replacing Dutch as the native language of the Netherlands and neither will English. People use it because it's convenient but they have no emotional attachment to it. As soon as it becomes more rewarding to speak, say, Mandarin, people will drop English in a heartbeat. It's already starting: more and more schools are including Mandarin in their curriculum. English will always maintain some level of popularity (as has French) because it's so close to Dutch but we're a pragmatic people. Whatever is most beneficial to us, that's what we'll do.
Chinese will never work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe