Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2014, 11:58 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,810,713 times

Advertisements

Now that English is the unofficial common language among Europeans who speak different languages (say if a Spaniard and a Pole want to speak, they usually go to English), I'm wondering how many Europeans feel about it? Particularly say the French and the Germans? French in particular was the unofficial language of diplomacy in Europe (when did English overtake it) and if history had gone differently French might have been the unofficial global lingua franca. The British Empire and the US combined seem to have successful entrenched English as the language of trade, politics, science, media for a long time now.

Is there some jealousy/resentment? Or do most not really care too much? I heard in some countries young people are even speaking English among themselves, is there a lot of fear that some might even start speaking English instead of say Dutch or German or Swedish? Do some young people sort of admire English or see it as superior/cool? I heard in Norway there was anger at advertisements in English.

It seems Southern Europeans are less open to English though, especially in Italy and Spain.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 12:08 AM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
English is the most popular foreign language in all but 5 European countries, and all of those are small nations that use the language of their larger neighbors.
French is common language only in the offices of European institutions. It is one of the three working languages of the European Commission in Brussels, alongside English and German.
Almost 100% HS students in the EU learn English as a primary foreign language. About 2/3 of adults speak and understand some English, and 1/3 speaks it fairly well.
I think the dominance of English is likely to become even greater in the future.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:10 AM

182 posts, read 195,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Now that English is the unofficial common language among Europeans who speak different languages (say if a Spaniard and a Pole want to speak, they usually go to English), I'm wondering how many Europeans feel about it? Particularly say the French and the Germans? French in particular was the unofficial language of diplomacy in Europe (when did English overtake it) and if history had gone differently French might have been the unofficial global lingua franca. The British Empire and the US combined seem to have successful entrenched English as the language of trade, politics, science, media for a long time now.

Is there some jealousy/resentment? Or do most not really care too much? I heard in some countries young people are even speaking English among themselves, is there a lot of fear that some might even start speaking English instead of say Dutch or German or Swedish? Do some young people sort of admire English or see it as superior/cool? I heard in Norway there was anger at advertisements in English.

It seems Southern Europeans are less open to English though, especially in Italy and Spain.
The only nations that might be bitter are those with formally popular languages: Spain, France and Italy.

English is extremely easy to learn especially for the young population thru pop culture/music. It's nice because you don't need to invest time/money into learning it.

English also works because there are so many variations: British, Australian, American etc. Even within America there are variations of it. So the standards are low, making it ideal as a 2nd/3rd language.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:12 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,887,822 times
I think its absolutely fab!!

Old 02-27-2014, 12:24 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,347,329 times
The fact that the English language dominates the world becomes pretty much insignificant as soon as you live your in a country where English is not the #1. 99% of the people here trade, read their newspapers, research things and follow politics in German. So no hard feelings from my side

Old 02-27-2014, 12:30 AM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
^^^ True. But as soon you want to communicate with others, and don't know their language - English became very handy

Old 02-27-2014, 12:50 AM

1 posts, read 4,507 times
As an Irish, I do not like my country having English than Irish as the most used language in my country. I like Malta and Cyprus with English being the second language instead.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:27 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,260,713 times
In the Netherlands allmost everyone speaks english pretty good and we like to speak it. Actually we like it so much, that people from other countries are having more trouble to learn our language 'cos they don't get the chance to speak it, cos everybody speaks english to them. But there's absolutely no chance english will take over.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:33 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,887,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
The fact that the English language dominates the world becomes pretty much insignificant as soon as you live your in a country where English is not the #1. 99% of the people here trade, read their newspapers, research things and follow politics in German. So no hard feelings from my side
Why are you on a forum speaking English then?

Old 02-27-2014, 01:38 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,435,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Why are you on a forum speaking English then?
American forum. Forum rules.

lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe