Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2014, 05:06 PM

14,823 posts, read 12,078,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Of course I speak English with an American accent, a rather strong one. Pronunciation is one factor that determines American English.
I have hardly any German accent anymore, which I am very proud of If anything I probably have a slight Portuguese accent by now
But apart from the accent, I also speak American English because I don't use any of those typical British words and terms, but the American ones instead. So even if I had no accent whatsoever, I would speak American English.
Your post is full of 'typical British words and terms' in fact every word used on it is 'British English'!!! You my friend speak British English just like Americans do too, you are speaking 'British English' to me not American!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 05:25 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,798,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Your post is full of 'typical British words and terms' in fact every word used on it is 'British English'!!! You my friend speak British English just like Americans do too, you are speaking 'British English' to me not American!
I can't help but think there is no point in discussing this with you any further, you don't seem to understand what we are talking about and you are contradicting linguists that know a whole lot more about those things than you do...

Let me try one last time
Imagine we have 50 Americans and 50 Brits mixed in a room and we ask total strangers to tell where each of those 100 people is from, the US or Britain. Those total strangers that are native speakers from either country will be able to tell with 99% accuracy where each of those 100 people is from, just by hearing them speak for 5 seconds or so each. And even non-native speakers with a good command of the language will be able to tell with an accuracy of at least 75% which of the two countries any of those 100 people is from, just by listening to them, regardless of the topic. Why? American vs British English.

Last edited by Neuling; 03-11-2014 at 05:46 PM..

Old 03-11-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
I can't help but think there is no point in discussing this with you any further, you don't seem to understand what we are talking about and you are contradicting linguists that know a whole lot more about those things than you do...
I am English so I know quite a bit about the English language. I am merely pointing out that as much as you may dislike the idea the language you speak is English, every word on your previous post is English, written the way an Englishman (and an American man) would write it, I know about differences in accents and 'slang'. I don't mean to be confrontational and I am genuinely interested in why you have a belief that you speak American English as opposed to English English, what I see from your posts is English English and I wonder what it is exactly about your English that you think is particularly 'American', that's why I wondered if you could perhaps give me some examples?

Old 03-11-2014, 06:07 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,870,309 times
Quote:

Let me try one last time
Imagine we have 50 Americans and 50 Brits mixed in a room and we ask total strangers to tell where each of those 100 people is from, the US or Britain. Those total strangers that are native speakers from either country will be able to tell with 99% accuracy where each of those 100 people is from, just by hearing them speak for 5 seconds or so each. And even non-native speakers with a good command of the language will be able to tell with an accuracy of at least 75% which of the two countries any of those 100 people is from, just by listening to them, regardless of the topic. Why? American vs British English.
At this point it's just a lost cause.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
At this point it's just a lost cause.
Said in very good English!

Old 03-11-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
I am English so I know quite a bit about the English language. I am merely pointing out that as much as you may dislike the idea the language you speak is English, every word on your previous post is English, written the way an Englishman (and an American man) would write it, I know about differences in accents and 'slang'. I don't mean to be confrontational and I am genuinely interested in why you have a belief that you speak American English as opposed to English English, what I see from your posts is English English and I wonder what it is exactly about your English that you think is particularly 'American', that's why I wondered if you could perhaps give me some examples?
Again, please distinguish between language and dialect/variant. Of course I speak English, I never said anything else.
I know I speak American English because total strangers assume I am American when I speak English. And it is logical because I have systematically switched from BE to AE. Just like I deliberately speak European Portuguese instead of Brazilian Portuguese (simply because I like the sound better). However, after years of exposure to both variants I can switch between the two at will. To us non-native speakers foreign languages are just accumulated knowledge, like math or chemistry, it does not run in our veins. Therefore we speak those languages consciously, translating in our minds before we speak, unlike native speakers. That translation phase allows us to decide whether we opt for this or that variant.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Again, please distinguish between language and dialect/variant. Of course I speak English, I never said anything else.
I know I speak American English because total strangers assume I am American when I speak English. And it is logical because I have systematically switched from BE to AE. Just like I deliberately speak European Portuguese instead of Brazilian Portuguese (simply because I like the sound better). However, after years of exposure to both variants I can switch between the two at will. To us non-native speakers foreign languages are just accumulated knowledge, like math or chemistry, it does not run in our veins. Therefore we speak those language consciously, translating in our minds before we speak, unlike native speakers. That translation phase allows us to decide whether we opt for this or that variant.
All said in beautiful English (the English kind!) :-), OK let's agree to disagree - though trust me if people assume you are American then it will be because of your accent rather than the words you speak, I have a fairly close German friend and I would be very disappointed if she lost her German accent for either an American or English one, her accent makes her very appealing! ;-)

Old 03-12-2014, 05:52 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,268,688 times
Quote:
All said in beautiful English (the English kind!) :-), OK let's agree to disagree - though trust me if people assume you are American then it will be because of your accent rather than the words you speak, I have a fairly close German friend and I would be very disappointed if she lost her German accent for either an American or English one, her accent makes her very appealing! ;-)
Well if Neuling says words like 'trash can' or 'garbage' or 'sneakers' then I'm going to think American English. The words used are different.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Yes, accent (pronunciation, rhythm, melody, etc.) is one aspect of AE vs BE vs AussieE etc., though by far not the only one.

I find the German accent ugly, actually there is no such thing as THE German accent, there are several. Someone from Bavaria will pronounce English differently than someone from Hamburg or Berlin.

But I am a cold-blooded perfectionist I used to read English texts and record it on tape. Then I would analyze it and compare it to the American English recorded from VOA and AFN radio programs and systematically eliminate the remaining traces of my accent. Oddly that doesn't work when speaking directly, the tape, however, makes you sound like someone else and you evaluate objectively what you hear.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:20 PM

301 posts, read 522,336 times
British English is the same language as American English but there are some differences, but it's not as big as the differences between French and québécois French, which is almost two seperate languages.

The British empire spread the English language right around the world, this is why billions of Indians, Chinese, Africans, australians, new zealands, jamaicans, Gibraltans, carribians etc speak British English.
Britain made it compulsory for children in British colonies to learn English at school and home, this is what made English the global language.
America also spoke english, so they too helped the English language to become the dominant language back in Europe aswell, but by then the British empire had already made the world an English speaking world

Last edited by Obi wan spaghetti; 03-12-2014 at 10:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe