Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 03:41 AM

319 posts, read 395,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
So do Finns, unfortunately. But I'm not sure what this has to do with northern nationalities being friendly vs. chilly. Russians can be very friendly toward visitors who speak their language, btw. Slavs generally distinguish themselves among Europeans for their warmth, like southern Europeans.
Yes, it's true that if you speak the language people tend to be friendlier, but I guess that applies everywhere. Slavs is a very broad term, but I don't think we are very warm . More like open like southern Europeans and more expressive than Germanics.

For example, you walk down the main street in any Russian city and you will hear people laughing loudly, having an argument, or just generally socializing. Where as in Norway for instance, it's the exact opposite. Everyone seems very low-key. I really enjoyed this peace and quietness the first few weeks, but after a while I began to miss the vibrant social lifestyle in Russia and other countries.

Anyway, I think countries like Norway would be great for retiring people (if they can put up with the weather) because of their quietness and calmness
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 03:53 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,825,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya_ View Post
Yes, it's true that if you speak the language people tend to be friendlier, but I guess that applies everywhere. Slavs is a very broad term, but I don't think we are very warm . More like open like southern Europeans and more expressive than Germanics.

For example, you walk down the main street in any Russian city and you will hear people laughing loudly, having an argument, or just generally socializing. Where as in Norway for instance, it's the exact opposite. Everyone seems very low-key. I really enjoyed this peace and quietness the first few weeks, but after a while I began to miss the vibrant social lifestyle in Russia and other countries.

Anyway, I think countries like Norway would be great for retiring people (if they can put up with the weather) because of their quietness and calmness
In Norway, having a huge argument on the street is considered embarrassing. That doesn't mean that the Norwegians are boring. In Russia again, where everyone is drunk 24/7, it's quite natural to be rowdy.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
In Norway, having a huge argument on the street is considered embarrassing. That doesn't mean that the Norwegians are boring. In Russia again, where everyone is drunk 24/7, it's quite natural to be rowdy.
I was giving as example not only Russia, but other countries too. Virtually everywhere I have been south of Denmark it is like that. By following your logic most of Europe is drunk 24/7 then .

I also haven't said Norway is boring, as I have mentioned before it's one of the most beautiful countries in the continent.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
I was giving as example not only Russia, but other countries too. Virtually everywhere I have been south of Denmark it is like that. By following your logic most of Europe is drunk 24/7 then .
Especially the Dutch, Germans and English are so very rowdy. Paris seems also like a war zone or an oriental bazaar.

To me the Slavic "vibrant" lifestyle is more like bad behaviour. Maybe except the Czech and Poles, they seem to know how to behave.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:47 AM

1,398 posts, read 1,489,553 times
Scandinavians aren't chilly /thread

Old 11-29-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Especially the Dutch, Germans and English are so very rowdy. Paris seems also like a war zone or an oriental bazaar.

To me the Slavic "vibrant" lifestyle is more like bad behaviour. Maybe except the Czech and Poles, they seem to know how to behave.
How is expresssing your emotions and acting like a human being bad behavior? Paris may seem like that because it is full of tourists and honestly, the loudest ones I've seen were Americans.

You are talking as if this kind of behavior is something out of the ordinary. No, I think the behavior of Scandinavia is. It is a sparsely populated land, often times dark, often times fairly cold, of course people wouldn't be rowdy. I spend my whole childhood pretty up north, so I would know.

Old 11-29-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
How is expresssing your emotions and acting like a human being bad behavior? Paris may seem like that because it is full of tourists and honestly, the loudest ones I've seen were Americans.

You are talking as if this kind of behavior is something out of the ordinary. No, I think the behavior of Scandinavia is. It is a sparsely populated land, often times dark, often times fairly cold, of course people wouldn't be rowdy. I spend my whole childhood pretty up north, so I would know.
Scandinavians DO express their emotions. Just because they don't express them to YOU doesn't mean we don't HAVE emotions. Actually, I'm pretty annoyed at you right now.

Come up with something new. This is just old, boring stuff.

We don't fight on the street as it's considered embarrassing in our cultures, not because it's dark or chilly. But meanwhile, Russia is very cold but they are rowdy. The cold doesn't affect them?

Old 11-29-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Scandinavians DO express their emotions. Just because they don't express them to YOU doesn't mean we don't HAVE emotions. Actually, I'm pretty annoyed at you right now.

Come up with something new. This is just old, boring stuff.

We don't fight on the street as it's considered embarrassing in our cultures, not because it's dark or chilly. But meanwhile, Russia is very cold but they are rowdy. The cold doesn't affect them?
Well, I was talking about simple observations one can make on the streets, without getting into contact with people. I've observed how they behave among each other, not with me.

I don't think having an argument and talking about it is a fight. Maybe that's why it is so rare there, because you consider it a fight and something to be embarrassed about?

People in St. Petersburg for example are not very outgoing or "rowdy" and I don't think that's a coincidence.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:56 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,069,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya_
Russian men have the stereotype of being drunks
and sadly it is true for many of them.
So do Finns, unfortunately.
So do Finnish women.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Well, I was talking about simple observations one can make on the streets, without getting into contact with people. I've observed how they behave among each other, not with me.

I don't think having an argument and talking about it is a fight. Maybe that's why it is so rare there, because you consider it a fight and something to be embarrassed about?

People in St. Petersburg for example are not very outgoing or "rowdy" and I don't think that's a coincidence.
Your observations are largely correct. But my argument is that the culture is just different, it's not considered good behaviour to have an argument on the bus or on the street. And across Western Europe, it's very rare to take contact with strangers on the street, especially in cities.

Arguments do happen on the street, but it's not the norm. But that doesn't mean people don't have arguments. Like I'm not picking my nose in public, but that doesn't mean that I don't pick my nose.

St. Petersburg is a big city, and no, it's not a coincidence they aren't rowdy. People in big cities seldom are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe