Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 05:40 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,841,280 times

Advertisements

americans and canadians often think everyone should be friendly to them and acknowledge the fact they're american or canadian and be impressed by the fact they're american and canadian or talk about the fact their great great great grand pa was norwegian and so on.... since most people around the world don't care, then they assume people are unfriendly, but they're not.

some people need a bit more to warm up, I am colombian and we are supposedly tropical latin people with a temper,in reality I am often cold and introverted, however I am easy to talk to as long as it's none of that phony north american shallow interaction "OMG IT'S AMAZING AWESOME TO SEE YOU, OMG ITS SO COOL!"

Have some character, personality, talk to me about something meaningful and I'll be the warmest person ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 06:32 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,825,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
americans and canadians often think everyone should be friendly to them and acknowledge the fact they're american or canadian and be impressed by the fact they're american and canadian or talk about the fact their great great great grand pa was norwegian and so on.... since most people around the world don't care, then they assume people are unfriendly, but they're not.

some people need a bit more to warm up, I am colombian and we are supposedly tropical latin people with a temper,in reality I am often cold and introverted, however I am easy to talk to as long as it's none of that phony north american shallow interaction "OMG IT'S AMAZING AWESOME TO SEE YOU, OMG ITS SO COOL!"

Have some character, personality, talk to me about something meaningful and I'll be the warmest person ever.
Yes, part of it is true. Especially Americans, but apparently also Natalya thinks that no unnecessary small-talk or loud rowdy behaviour means that people are uncapable of doing that or are boring and introverted, but that's not true. While there is some truth to the introversion, it's only minor. Scandinavians, Germans, British etc may have a very different personality on the street and inside four walls or in a pub. The ice may take a while to break, but when it is broken persons are very different. If you as a tourists just speak a few words with a local, that isn't enough to break the ice.

For small talk, while people manage it, we have a saying in Finnish "if you have nothing meaningful to say, don't say anything", and there's a thin line between these two aspects. Meanwhile, Nordics open up quite easily when you've broken the ice, and you can have even a philosopical discussion with a person you don't know that well, and people aren't sensitive of talking about "big" things, while an American could feel uncomfortable talking politics for example.
Meanwhile, the regular Nordic has probably met tens of nationalities, and you as an American/Canadian/Colombian is no big deal, just one of many, so indeed, we're not impressed.

I consider myself to having quite a hefty temperament, but I don't go nuts on the streets, as you're not supposed to do that. Not in our culture.

"OMG IT'S AMAZING AWESOME TO SEE YOU, OMG ITS SO COOL!" No, you won't hear it here. Because if it's not true, we don't say it, as honesty is very valued. A Swede might say this, but the trained ear hears it's shallow miles away.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:04 AM

319 posts, read 395,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Your observations are largely correct. But my argument is that the culture is just different, it's not considered good behaviour to have an argument on the bus or on the street. And across Western Europe, it's very rare to take contact with strangers on the street, especially in cities.

Arguments do happen on the street, but it's not the norm. But that doesn't mean people don't have arguments. Like I'm not picking my nose in public, but that doesn't mean that I don't pick my nose.

St. Petersburg is a big city, and no, it's not a coincidence they aren't rowdy. People in big cities seldom are.
I don't really agree. Virtually everywhere I've been in western Europe people were the complete opposite of I was mentioning before. I found them much more open than I expected. Talking (sometimes quite loudly) in trams seemed like a rule, I can't think of a case when it was dead quiet, like in Norway.

I don't think in that aspect Scandinavia is similar to western Europe, more like the opposite.

In my experience the people in bigger cities are more wordly and more willing to communicate, than in some place with 100k inhabitants.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya_ View Post
I don't really agree. Virtually everywhere I've been in western Europe people were the complete opposite of I was mentioning before. I found them much more open than I expected. Talking (sometimes quite loudly) in trams seemed like a rule, I can't think of a case when it was dead quiet, like in Norway.

I don't think in that aspect Scandinavia is similar to western Europe, more like the opposite.

In my experience the people in bigger cities are more wordly and more willing to communicate, than in some place with 100k inhabitants.
And I disagree. I've traveled extensively in Western Europe, and I haven't noticed much of talking loudly in trams or people having a huge argument on the street, maybe excluding Spain, Portugal and Greece.

Maybe we should ask other peoples' opinions?

Old 11-30-2014, 07:31 AM

Quote:
And I disagree. I've traveled extensively in Western Europe, and I haven't noticed much of talking loudly in trams or people having a huge argument on the street, maybe excluding Spain, Portugal and Greece.

Maybe we should ask other peoples' opinions?
Well, whatever opinion people have I tend to believe my own eyes and ears. I've never mentioned anything about people having huge arguments. Surely, there's a difference between a normal, well-rounded argument, a huge argument and a fight. You seem to fail making a distinction between them.

Grouping Scandinavians with the British when it comes to behavior is almost absurd. The English in particular have to be one of the most outgoing and talkative people I've ever seen. They must be drunk 24/7 lol.

I am really starting to doubt how extensively travelled you are

Old 11-30-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Well, whatever opinion people have I tend to believe my own eyes and ears. I've never mentioned anything about people having huge arguments. Surely, there's a difference between a normal, well-rounded argument, a huge argument and a fight. You seem to fail making a distinction between them.

Grouping Scandinavians with the British when it comes to behavior is almost absurd. The English in particular have to be one of the most outgoing and talkative people I've ever seen. They must be drunk 24/7 lol.
Ok, maybe I'm not understanding you correctly. Would you care to give some examples, from Norway, the UK and Bulgaria? About normal street life and communication for example. Let's compare and go from there.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Ok, maybe I'm not understanding you correctly. Would you care to give some examples, from Norway, the UK and Bulgaria? About normal street life and communication for example. Let's compare and go from there.
Oh come on, I think you are understanding perfectly . The simpliest way I can put it is that you see people interacting with each other much less in Norway. Whether it's on the street, in the bus or wherever. I don't want people screaming, but often it gets dead silent. I haven't experienced that in the UK or bulgaria.

I'm not saying it is good/bad or boring, just something I've seen many times.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Oh come on, I think you are understanding perfectly . The simpliest way I can put it is that you see people interacting with each other much less in Norway. Whether it's on the street, in the bus or wherever. I don't want people screaming, but often it gets dead silent. I haven't experienced that in the UK or bulgaria.

I'm not saying it is good/bad or boring, just something I've seen many times.
Ok. I'm under the impression that people in the UK don't talk too much on the bus, at least with strangers.

Do you want to see pictures of people interacting in my city?

Oh and what cities are we talking about in Norway?

Old 11-30-2014, 12:54 PM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,578,743 times
Quote:
and I haven't noticed much of talking loudly in trams or people having a huge argument on the street, maybe excluding Spain, Portugal and Greece.
I would say Italians are somewhat louder than both Spanish and Portuguese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe