Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 04:45 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,601,133 times

Advertisements

Certain people are incredibly anal regarding the definition of Scandinavia, but to most people, Finland is no different to Sweden, Norway or Denmark. Only language separates them - they are virtually indistinguishable in every other aspect. That might be upsetting to a Scandinavian, but that's the way it is to those of us who don't live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 05:12 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,069,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
The Brits are originally from Iberia. We already figured that out in another thread

You did? The thread needs a good taking down to.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:17 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,348,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
You did? The thread needs a good taking down to.
I didn't but, some others did. The thread was based on the same old misconceptions/stereotypes like this one. And after living for a while in Finland and visiting Russia a couple of times: There are not too many similarities.

//www.city-data.com/forum/europ...sh-people.html

Old 03-15-2014, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
So from where did the English come from then?
Mainly Anglo-Saxon (Denmark and northern Germany) and Viking with some Celt thrown in. Draw a line from Liverpool to London and the eastern part was a part of Denmark at one time, called "Dane Law". The border was the Roman road, Watling Street, now the A5 road. The Celts moved to the most western parts of Europe right up to the sea: Britany in France, Cornwall in England, West Wales, the two peninsulars in the west of Ireland and the outer western isles of Scotland.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:22 AM

Quote:
I didn't but, some others did. The thread was based on the same old misconceptions/stereotypes like this one. And after living for a while in Finland and visiting Russia a couple of times: There are not too many similarities.

I live in London with lots of Russians and some Finns about me. The Finns are fluent in English, unlike the Russians and have similar Slavic looks, and have many similarities - like getting drunk often.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:27 AM

221 posts, read 343,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
but to most people, Finland is no different to Sweden, Norway or Denmark. Only language separates them - they are virtually indistinguishable in every other aspect. That might be upsetting to a Scandinavian, but that's the way it is to those of us who don't live there.

Not upsetting at all. I understand it perfectly.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:28 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,348,019 times
Quote:
I live in London with lots of Russians and some Finns about me. The Finns are fluent in English, unlike the Russians and have similar Slavic looks, and have many similarities - like getting drunk often.
Brits do get wasted a lot as well. So they are also similar to Russians?

Old 03-15-2014, 05:29 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,825,803 times
Quote:
Mainly Anglo-Saxon (Denmark and northern Germany) and Viking with some Celt thrown in. Draw a line from Liverpool to London and the eastern part was a part of Denmark at one time, called "Dane Law". The border was the Roman road, Watling Street, now the A5 road. The Celts moved to the most western parts of Europe right up to the sea: Britany in France, Cornwall in England, West Wales, the two peninsulars in the west of Ireland and the outer western isles of Scotland.
Yes, and from where did the Angles, Jutes and Saxons come from? From present day Poland and Germany. So to say Finns are Russians because they came originally from Russia makes as much sense as to say Englishmen are Poles.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:35 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,254,996 times
Quote:
Brits do get wasted a lot as well. So they are also similar to Russians?
You beat me to it!

Most Northern Europeans like to get wasted a lot - they must all be similar to Russians!

Old 03-15-2014, 05:51 AM

Quote:

There are some lunatics on that thread. "even most british people themselves would agree that the british tend to be darker featured and shorter compared to other northern europeans. Mediterranean looks is very present among ethnic brits." I totally disagree !

I stand 180cm high and I am regarded as short by the height of most of my "ethnic" Brit friends. We are all light eyed. Brown eyes are rare amongst ethic Brits and none of my family or friends have brown eyes, We are very white skinned, being the whitest skinned people on earth. We have light hair from blond/red to light brown. We look nothing like southern French/Spanish or Portuguese. We found that our family name changed to a Viking name in the 1600s. Many millions will find the same if they look.

Last edited by John-UK; 03-15-2014 at 06:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe