Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 08:39 AM

667 posts, read 943,594 times

Advertisements

OP, why do you care so much about that? You don't live in the EU, not even in Europe and still fiercely trying to convince everyone how good this Federal Europe is going to be...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 01:28 PM

2,737 posts, read 3,173,800 times
Not going to happen.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:15 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,820,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
Of course every country should be allowed to hold this and exit as long as they are only in EU and haven't join the federation.

I am pretty sure the UK won't join the federation so England against Germany/France/Spain/Italy might be a good match
So if a country actually does join this European federation and later wants to withdraw from this federation, then it will not be able to withdraw from this European federation?

Old 03-14-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
If Putin wanted to rebuild the USSR, he could have absorbed South Ossetia, Transnistria, and Abkhazia when they broke away from their original country… but he didn't.
True, but the consequences for Russia which would have occurred had he actually done this might not have been very pleasant at all (and Putin might also want the Crimea, so if Russia is going to suffer severe consequences, it might as well gain the Crimea, as opposed to gaining territories/areas which it considers to be much less valuable).

Old 03-14-2014, 02:20 PM

@Daywalk: You appear to be Canadian, so off-topic, but if we are talking about super-states, then how about the U.S. and Canada become a super-state of our own? Or, as a side option, the U.S. can simply annex Canada--heck, our population is already almost ten times larger than yours.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I beg to differ… The EU has progress to the point where they can only either move close towards a federation or untwine the whole integration process that has been going on for 50+ years.
Are you sure about this and that you are not presenting a false dichotomy here?

After all, why can't Europe integrate and cooperate/collaborate more without forming a federation?

Old 03-14-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
In comparison, the European countries' population are either declining or not growing much at all. Furthermore, the demographics are aging rapidly and the workforce will eventually shrink.
Take a look at UN's population database.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ure_population
In 1950, 13 EU countries were among the world's 50 most populous nations.
By 2050, only 5 EU countries will be in the world's 50 most populous nations.
Europeans can "thank" World War I and World War II for this. Without these two wars (or even if these two wars occurred on a much more limited scale), Europe's population today might have been much larger than it actually is.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:41 PM

291 posts, read 833,042 times
The essence of Europe is diversity.

From here where I live 15 min drive will take me to Slovenia where people speak a different language, and one hour drive in opposite direction will take me to there-be-dragons Hungary with their incredible, alien language.

I don't think we should give up on that, and frankly I don't mind being little and important. China will dominate the world, fine with me.

EU of course has many good sides, European Superstate is not one of them.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:23 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,576,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroatWebWanderer View Post

Now this would make European football championship rather dull.
"And the final score of the Euro 2028 final is once again a lopsided victory by Europe over Switzerland by a score of 9-0."

Old 03-15-2014, 03:00 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,266,624 times
To see our culture, our language, our traditions vanish. Eating mass- produced food with no taste, no chance for small buisenesses, economy dominated by uge massive corporations, every sub state producing only one thing, NO THANKS.

I like the idea of open borders, being able to move everywere you want, but that's all. But being one big superstate, no. We had a little taste of that, and it only brought us misery.
I'm allready wondering why i have to eat meat from argentinia whyle we have the best meat in our own country.
The farmer were i buy my hay for the horses came by last month telling he quit the farm cos he wasn't able to make enough money from it anymore. He had a 40+ hectare farm his whole life, wich is small, but twenty years ago was perfectly fine to feed a whole family and have a good live. Nowadays it's not even enough to feed one man.

I like to live in a small country, having our own identity. I like all the diversity in europe, lets keep it that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe