Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2014, 05:40 AM

545 posts, read 866,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Some towns around the US have stopped adding fluoride to the water, by public demand.
http://www.unicef.org/wash/files/wf13e.pdf

"It has long been known that excessive fluoride intake carries serious toxic effects. But scientists are now debating whether fluoride confers any benefit at all."

"
Fluoride inhibits enzymes that breed acid-producing oral bacteria whose acid eats away tooth enamel. This observation is valid, but some scientists now believe that the harmful impact of fluoride on other useful enzymes far outweighs the beneficial effect on caries prevention.

Fluoride ions bind with calcium ions, strengthening tooth enamel as it forms in children. Many researchers now consider this more of an assumption than fact, because of conflicting evidence from studies in India and several other countries over the past 10 to 15 years. Nevertheless, agreement is universal that excessive fluoride intake leads to loss of calcium from the tooth matrix, aggravating cavity formation throughout life rather than remedying it, and so causing dental fluorosis. Severe, chronic and cumulative overexposure can cause the incurable crippling of skeletal fluorosis."

Old 03-27-2014, 07:09 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,166,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Did somebody posted some proof that I requested, or is this still a 6-page thread about nothing?

But that's for the poor. You could be over this threshold and still not be able to afford it. And, having money dosen't mean you have good teeth. A lot of people just don't know how to take care of their teeth.
Every one under 18 and those on welfare or low incomes receive free dental care in the UK, which is far more generous than most systems around the world. The whole British teeth thing being largely a nasty American stereotype rather than a realistic fact, the truth being British are no worse in respect of dentistry than most other countries in the western world. Whilst in terms of cosmetic dentistry, the UK has a growing market which matches the UK's cosmetic surgery market, which is the largest in Europe.

The truth about teeth - Live Well - NHS Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious
Once, though, a lady from the U.K. told me the British do have bad teeth. She blamed the water for this. But I forgot what she thought was exactly wrong with the water.
We don't put anything in the water that rots our teeth, what utter rubbish. Fluoride is sometimes added to water, but this is designed to actually prevent tooth decay and is evident in most toothpastes. However water fluoridation remains a controversial issue due to other supposed side effects.

BBC News - Consider mass fluoridation of water, says health body

Fluoride Action Network | 50 Reasons to Oppose Fluoridation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious
That's nonsense. You need to use the percentage. A country could have 1 billion people and have 50 million uninsured citizens. Another one might have 60 million people and 49 million uninsured.
100 million Americans out of a population of just over 300 million don't attend the dentist or have a dental plan. That's one in three (over 30%), which in a country of 1 Billion would equate to over 333 million. Hardly a system to be proud of or one that is any better than many European Dental systems.

America’s Dental Care Crisis - PBS

Last edited by Bamford; 03-27-2014 at 07:39 AM..

Old 03-27-2014, 07:20 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,037,971 times
Im not sure but I think I read somewhere that Britons on average actually have healthier teeth than their American cousins? Anyway this is just more of that stereotypical nonsense that is actually slightly insulting.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:01 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,984,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Im not sure but I think I read somewhere that Britons on average actually have healthier teeth than their American cousins? Anyway this is just more of that stereotypical nonsense that is actually slightly insulting.
Source? Link?

Old 03-27-2014, 06:26 PM

61,748 posts, read 87,217,162 times
^^^ Tooth decay: Say aaaarrrghhhh! | The Economist
American v British teeth

Old 03-27-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
So...according to that link eastern European dental health is atrocious while western European dental health is superb, and the United States is right in the middle.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:32 PM

61,748 posts, read 87,217,162 times
^^^^ Possibly, but you questioned the BRITONS.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:13 PM

586 posts, read 831,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Source? Link?
Would I be correct in assuming that you do not read your own thread as your unaware of what easthome refers too? Could I then direct you to post #26, dunno what to put here provided the info that you seek.

If you feel more information is required for easthome to be able to support his assertion this may help:

OECD iLibrary: Statistics / Health at a Glance / 2009 / Dental health among children

Last edited by Mr Blue Sky; 03-27-2014 at 07:38 PM..

Old 03-27-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Blue Sky View Post
Would I be correct in assuming that you do not read your own thread as your unaware of what easthome refers too? Could I then direct you to post #26, dunno what to put here provided the info that you seek.

If you feel more information is required for easthome to be able to support his assertion this may help:

OECD iLibrary: Statistics / Health at a Glance / 2009 / Dental health among children
Did you read what easthome posted? "I think I read somewhere..." because the best facts come from those kinds of posts.

It's interesting that the only source people are able to come up with is statistics on children, I don't think I've seen anything on adults.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:09 AM

301 posts, read 521,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
You are dodging the issue and my question. You aren't addressing how this stereotype came about, the issue that there really is a difference in the overall appearance and hygiene of European teeth and American teeth.

From an American who traveled to and stayed in Germany for awhile.

Discussing the stereotype that Europeans have bad teeth… | From Germanihon-Marie, with love

I wonder if a German or a Brit came to America if they would think we vest too much interest and time into our teeth?
This whole europeans have bad teeth false slur started in a Simpsons cartoon and spread around the world. The same thing happened with the cheese eating surrender monkeys comment about the French that also began on the simpsons
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe