Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2014, 01:36 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,601,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
British people don't really have a sense of humor so I won't take this comment seriously.
We do - but your jokes are not very funny.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:17 AM

85 posts, read 121,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
You are dodging the issue and my question. You aren't addressing how this stereotype came about, the issue that there really is a difference in the overall appearance and hygiene of European teeth and American teeth.

From an American who traveled to and stayed in Germany for awhile.

Discussing the stereotype that Europeans have bad teeth… | From Germanihon-Marie, with love

I wonder if a German or a Brit came to America if they would think we vest too much interest and time into our teeth?
No, if a Brit or German came over to the states they'd be worried they were travelling from the two countries that have the best teeth in the world to a country with significantly worse teeth

Source WHO look it up and weep!! http://www.economist.com/node/15060097

Last edited by britguy1; 07-08-2014 at 05:25 AM..

Old 07-08-2014, 05:39 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,166,084 times
I did laugh when I saw the OP was from the 'Deep South' of the US.

This is just one of many such threads and every time I see this type of thread I just think a little bit less of America and Americans.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:42 AM

85 posts, read 121,402 times
Quote:
"Totally owned"? How old are you? 15?

What's interesting is that the title of my thread is Why do most people in European countries have bad teeth? Well...if you ever looked at all those charts, statistics, and facts people are posting you'll notice the countries that have the worst teeth are all European countries. Mostly eastern European countries, but still part of Europe nonetheless. The US is ranked above ever single eastern European country and only a few ticks behind most of the western European countries.

And also, the only graphs anyone has been able to produce is the cavity rate on 12 year olds. Not the most informative piece of information, there are more to these countries than their kids. I'm more interested in adult statistics, which have yet to be revealed. But oh yeah, I got "Totally owned". Maybe some day you'll learn how to talk like an adult.
Products - Data Briefs - Number 96 - May 2012

http://www.dhsspsni.gov.uk/adultdent...rstrelease.pdf

Old 07-08-2014, 05:48 AM

The fact that 100 million Americans, one in three don't have any dental care seems to have escaped the OP. Many of the Eastern European countries at least have some state coverage.

America’s Dental Care Crisis | Dollars and Dentists | FRONTLINE | PBS

Affordable Dental Care Unavailable To One-Third Of Americans: Report

Expensive and divisive: how America is losing patience with a failing system | World news | The Guardian

Old 07-08-2014, 05:54 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,255,169 times
Quote:
It seems like it's mostly the UK, to be honest. I'm sure I'll draw a lot of hate and discontent from this, but from what I have seen, the dental hygiene in most of Europe does not seem to be on the same level as the United States.

It's not just the straight teeth that American clamor for, but from a lot of Europeans, primarily the British, it would seem that dirty or bad teeth are very common over there. Why is this?
You must be joking. Drive up to the MANY trailer parks in West Virginia and check if they have any teeth left.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:25 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
I did laugh when I saw the OP was from the 'Deep South' of the US.

This is just one of many such threads and every time I see this type of thread I just think a little bit less of America and Americans.
And that's fine as long as you also think a little less of Europe and Europeans every time you read a thread in which they're bashing Americans.

And I know you read those threads because you participate on them.

Question - what was so funny about the OP being from the Deep Southern US?

Old 07-08-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
And that's fine as long as you also think a little less of Europe and Europeans every time you read a thread in which they're bashing Americans.

And I know you read those threads because you participate on them.

Question - what was so funny about the OP being from the Deep Southern US?
I don't recall going on to the US Forum at all and certainly don't start threads there.

As for the 'Deep South' if any area in the US suffers from stereotypes it's that area.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:27 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,255,169 times
Wonder if some of the "Deep South" states still officially waves the dixie rebel flag? Is that still common practice in Birmingham, Alabama and Jackson, Mississippi? Just curious, nothing more.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:36 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,737,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britguy1 View Post
No, if a Brit or German came over to the states they'd be worried they were travelling from the two countries that have the best teeth in the world to a country with significantly worse teeth

Source WHO look it up and weep!! Tooth decay: Say “aaaarrrghhhh”! | The Economist
American actors have implanted fake teeth so their smiles look beautifully, blindingly perfect and snow white. The rest of the population? Um... not really. Unless people have lots of money, good luck getting anything but an x-ray and a cleaning. It's unaffordable to have dental work in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe