Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2014, 06:00 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Exactly! In fact, I believe nearly all states with Republican governors are refusing to allow the Medicaid expansion, thereby denying ACA to millions of people. The last thing Republicans want is for Americans to have any sort of national healthcare. Republicans will blow up this country rather than allow that.
Reliable - as always

Old 07-09-2014, 07:12 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
I don't bash Americans and only respond in threads to misinformed American stereotypes like this. Furthermore in terms of teeth Americans have no room to criticise others with over 100 million Americans receiving no dental care.

You're confusing statistics. That's not what the video even said.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:02 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,163,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You're confusing statistics. That's not what the video even said.
Around 100 Million Americans (roughly one third of the population) can not afford to go to the dentists and this is based on US Research and reported by the US Media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBS

More than 100 million Americans don’t go to the dentist because they can’t afford it. Instead, they end up broke, in severe pain and struggling to get by. Sometimes they even die.

America’s Dental Care Crisis | Dollars and Dentists | FRONTLINE | PBS

Last edited by Bamford; 07-09-2014 at 11:26 AM..

Old 07-09-2014, 12:44 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,262,092 times
It is not a European thing. Only British people in Europe have the reputation for bad teeth (as Americans have). Obviouly it is a stereotype that might not be true anymore.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:36 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,405,066 times
I have seen some people with bad teeth.. but usually they are smokers. Maybe that is the problem?

In general I haven't noticed a particular trend of bad teeth in the UK..

Old 07-09-2014, 02:34 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,730,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
I have seen some people with bad teeth.. but usually they are smokers. Maybe that is the problem?

In general I haven't noticed a particular trend of bad teeth in the UK..
Americans have certain myths about Europeans, which they love and hold dear to their hearts.

For example, those that haven't been in Spain, think Spanish women wear flamenco dresses and huge combs (peinetas) in their hair. Americans also think the entire population of Spain goes to bullfights or fight bulls.

They also believe the myth that the British have bad teeth.

They also believe that French women are hairy beasts like grizzlies, have hair popping out of everywhere, under their arms, everywhere, and that French people do not bathe.

They also believe that Italians have facial warts.

If I think of any more I'll post them.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:48 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,042,765 times
Quote:
Americans have certain myths about Europeans, which they love and hold dear to their hearts.

For example, those that haven't been in Spain, think Spanish women wear flamenco dresses and huge combs (peinetas) in their hair. Americans also think the entire population of Spain goes to bullfights or fight bulls.

They also believe that French women are hairy beasts like grizzlies, have hair popping out of everywhere, under their arms, everywhere, and that French people do not bathe.

it's true

Back in the 1990s americans thought the british were either like Mr. Bean or Hugh Grant, when in reality it's like more like a fat bald unemployed drunk in a track suit getting into fights about soccer and pakistanis.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:03 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,656,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
I did laugh when I saw the OP was from the 'Deep South' of the US.

This is just one of many such threads and every time I see this type of thread I just think a little bit less of America and Americans.
Me, too. And I was born in the U.S.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:12 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
It seems like it's mostly the UK, to be honest. I'm sure I'll draw a lot of hate and discontent from this, but from what I have seen, the dental hygiene in most of Europe does not seem to be on the same level as the United States.

It's not just the straight teeth that American clamor for, but from a lot of Europeans, primarily the British, it would seem that dirty or bad teeth are very common over there. Why is this?
Actually British dental care is much cheaper and on par with American dental care. Your observation is very outdated and you appear not to have visited rural America where there is apparently very little dental care.

The problem is dental care in the US is no longer covered by most insurance plans and is extremely expensive when compared to the UK and Europe where there are excellent dentists who charge one-tenth of what US dentists and who perform the same services. Certain parts of Europe actually have more advanced dental care than the US.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:18 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,489,019 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
it's true

Back in the 1990s americans thought the british were either like Mr. Bean or Hugh Grant, when in reality it's like more like a fat bald unemployed drunk in a track suit getting into fights about soccer and pakistanis.
Wow i'm learning a lot about myself.

Tell me what else i think about Europeans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe