Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2014, 10:20 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
I did laugh when I saw the OP was from the 'Deep South' of the US.

This is just one of many such threads and every time I see this type of thread I just think a little bit less of America and Americans.
Why did you choose the OP to represent Americans?

Old 07-09-2014, 11:07 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,246,530 times
Living Blue in a Red State Ideologue

Old 07-10-2014, 02:23 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,163,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Why did you choose the OP to represent Americans?
There have been numerous threads started by Americans on this issue and it's a well known American stereotype.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:59 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,656,070 times
Stereotypes are unreasonable. Why should a few representatives of a country supply the truth about ALL the country's people? It makes little sense. I think some people perpetuate stereotypes to make themselves feel superior. It comes from little self-confidence.

There's the stereotype of the Ugly American tourist, for instance. I'm an American, and I have seen some examples of this person while traveling. I'm sure you have, too. It's embarassing. Yet I've also seen rude and loud, Germans, French, Japanese, Australians and Brits (to name a few examples).

Most of us are capable of gentle and polite behavior--and a some of us are not. But to blanket a whole country with the behavior of a few is unreasonable.

And about those purported bad European teeth--I've seen my share of bad oral hygiene and missing or unhealthy teeth right here in the U.S. Dentistry is pricey and some people in all nations can ill afford it.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:30 AM

338 posts, read 334,857 times
Every continent has bad teeth.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:54 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,730,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Wow i'm learning a lot about myself.

Tell me what else i think about Europeans?
Oopsie! Sorry. I forgot to give the exact percentage of Americans that are into those myths, and provide you with specific data, names, and addresses. My BAD!

Old 07-12-2014, 02:00 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,569,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
American actors have implanted fake teeth so their smiles look beautifully, blindingly perfect and snow white. The rest of the population? Um... not really. Unless people have lots of money, good luck getting anything but an x-ray and a cleaning. It's unaffordable to have dental work in the U.S.
Umm, dental insurance is quite cheap...

If it's so "unaffordable" how on earth do so many people I know have such perfect white teeth?

Old 07-12-2014, 05:35 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,730,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Umm, dental insurance is quite cheap...

If it's so "unaffordable" how on earth do so many people I know have such perfect white teeth?
Who are these "many people" who have "perfect white teeth?" Beyonce? Kim Kardashian? Daniel Radcliffe? Zac Efron?

As for dental insurance, I have one through the state organization that administers licensing for my field. It's one of the best dental insurances in the U.S., according to dentists. What that means is that this insurance pays the dentists immediately, doesn't give them too much grief, and covers more procedures than other legitimate dental insurance companies. I say legitimate because most of what passes for dental insurance in the U.S. are discount cards which are purchased by the individual. Why they are permitted to pass as insurance coverage is truly beyond me. I suppose some in this country like business stealing that way, which is why they cut the legs off the government agencies.

In any case, back to my excellent dental insurance. Of what it does cover, and it excludes all kinds of procedures, it covers a very small amount per procedure. The limit insurance payout per year is limited to $1,500, which is absolutely nothing in a dental office if you plan to have something done other than a cleaning and an x-ray, since these are cheaper and are provided free. Anything else you'd better pull out your serious wallet out, mount up your debt on your credit card, or take out a loan, either through the dentist or your bank.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:05 PM

165 posts, read 189,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwindsforever View Post
Living Blue in a Red State Ideologue

That means he's a democrat(blue) living in a republican (red) state in the deep south.
That's 'if' he's even an American!

Complete troll thread!!

That or he lost a girlfriend to a brit with a beautiful smile and a sexy accent, and just can't let it go!!

I'll bet on the latter.

Old 07-13-2014, 04:58 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
it's true

Back in the 1990s americans thought the british were either like Mr. Bean or Hugh Grant, when in reality it's like more like a fat bald unemployed drunk in a track suit getting into fights about soccer and pakistanis.
I like the way you invalidate stereotypical views of Britons by replacing them with 'other' equally stereotypical views of Britons! :-D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe