Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 12:52 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,969,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Where do you get this from? I don't understand where the "British people have bad teeth" comes from. Hear it many times, but never actually seen any proof. As a matter of fact, I see way more people in the U.S. with bad teeth. At least there's some explanation for this, though.
Please no anecdotal evidence. Show me some facts that they have bad/worse teeth. Dosen't make sense to me.
It's not like I just made it up. It's pretty well known, especially when it comes to the UK. Call it a stereotype if you will, but there's some truth to it.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:47 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,342,407 times
So, can people in the deep south (most of them seem to live in trailer parks?) can afford dental care? Or are they preoccupied with hunting African-Americans and burning crosses?

Sure, those are probably some stereotypes about the south, but there must be some truth to it?

Old 03-16-2014, 03:40 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,930,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
It's not like I just made it up. It's pretty well known, especially when it comes to the UK. Call it a stereotype if you will, but there's some truth to it.
Yes you made it up. Europe has general health plans everywhere so there is no reason for anybody to have bad teeth. Unlike the US where many people don't have general health care and many people actually do have bad teeth. The so manieth topic about you Muricans projecting your own misery onto us.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:41 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,259,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
It seems like it's mostly the UK, to be honest. I'm sure I'll draw a lot of hate and discontent from this, but from what I have seen, the dental hygiene in most of Europe does not seem to be on the same level as the United States.

It's not just the straight teeth that American clamor for, but from a lot of Europeans, primarily the British, it would seem that dirty or bad teeth are very common over there. Why is this?
Because Americans, with all their weak fast food, don't have to chew?

Old 03-16-2014, 03:55 AM

61,669 posts, read 87,060,489 times
There is a difference between BAD teeth (rotten, cavity, bad breath smell, missing or black teeth, gum disease etc.) and healthy teeth just slightly crooked, not perfectly white, or having small gaps (except it causes major chewing problem, or needs surgery because of misaligned bites, maxillofacial correction or such).

First group needs a orthodontic, periodontal and preventive care and is necessary.
The second is a COSMETIC dentistry - it has nothing to do with BAD teeth, and is all about the appearance of the teeth.
Americans are obsessed about it - everyone wants to have a Hollywood smile, while in other countries people just take care of BAD teeth and don't care about their color, or other small imperfections - those play little part in any personal charm offensive.
Whitening, bonding, veneer, elaborate structural engineering of crown and bridge work has nothing to do with their bite or health; they only hear of their "healthy" smile. The smile to professional and personal success! Closely followed by breast implants, nose jobs, face-lifts, penis enlargement, and general redistribution of fat for a better figure.

You know, there is no living to be made out of everyday repairs and routine check-ups. In the US powerful dentist’s advertisement brainwashed people to think, they absolutely NEED to have fake looking teeth to create The Perfect Smile that is going to change their life, and instantly boost their confidence.
And it's working! Now the cosmetic dentistry is a billion dollar business! No more starving dentists!

Many people don't even consider someone with less than perfect teeth as a potential dating material. Forget about love, charm, intelligence, emotional and financial stability, similar interests, great intimacy, or steady job - less than perfect teeth is the deal-breaker!
Appearances are everything.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:39 AM

3,573 posts, read 3,803,018 times
the uk has free dental care. since this is incredible expensive, they can only make the most cheap and basic dental-operations (for good and for bad). if you're above 25 in sweden for instance, you have to pay ****loads but with a better end-result. that's one of the main reasons for the brittish teeth. (i have family who works in this sector)

Old 03-16-2014, 05:12 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,377,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronan123 View Post
the uk has free dental care. since this is incredible expensive, they can only make the most cheap and basic dental-operations (for good and for bad). if you're above 25 in sweden for instance, you have to pay ****loads but with a better end-result. that's one of the main reasons for the brittish teeth. (i have family who works in this sector)
Not to true in the slightest.

Many people over here whiten their teeth you have to pay to get your teeth whitened or straightened if it isn't urgent. This is just a stereotype that is out of date.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:15 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,576,766 times
The UK does not have free dental care, unless you're under 18, under 19 and in full-time education, pregnant, or on some form of benefits such as income support i.e Job Seekers' Allowance, Housing Benefit ect. The rest of us have to pay.

Elnina is correct - Europeans might not have dazzling white teeth because we do not fork out extra money to get them whitened. My teeth are healthy and white, but they're not like pearls. I also have a slight gap in my front teeth.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:15 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,814,738 times
British people generally have good teeth. Certainly when speaking to other people, I'm rarely struck with how bad a persons teeth are. Don't get me wrong, there are some filthy people that don't look after their teeth, but more often than not that certainly isn't the case.

It's just an old stereotype. Just like the "all Americans are fat" stereotype. Although that one is true

Joking.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:00 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,930,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
The UK does not have free dental care, unless you're under 18, under 19 and in full-time education, pregnant, or on some form of benefits such as income support i.e Job Seekers' Allowance, Housing Benefit ect. The rest of us have to pay.
The whole 'free health care' illusion that Americans have about Europe is complete nonsense of course. We pay for healthcare through taxes or social security and this system is much better than having no insurance or having to deal with private insurance companies like in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe