Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 10:20 AM

32,114 posts, read 34,753,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
The emphasis on perfect teeth in the US is only relevant in terms of a select number of individuals
You make it sound as if this "select number of individuals" numbers in the tens of thousands.

Quote:
indeed 100 million Americans have no dental cover in the US and only 4 out of 10 Americans see a dentist annually compared to 7 out of 10 Britons. Much of the stereotype that Britain had terrible teeth coming from the days of Empire when to be perfectly honest no one country in the world had great teeth.
What does this have to do with the attitude towards teeth in general? Americans, as a whole, are not accepting of snaggle teeth.

Quote:
Until a few years ago, though, you might have spotted a clue that I was a newcomer to the haute bourgeoisie: my snaggle-toothed smile. Many Americans believe they live in a classless society, but this conviction is tested by the sight of a mouth packed with mangled or missing teeth. It's visual code for hillbilly. In my case, that happens to be wrong. I was raised not in an Appalachian holler but in the industrial north of England. Many Americans are intimidated by a British accent, which connotes status and smarts, but if there's one area where they have a superiority complex, it's teeth.
The American Way of Dentistry: The*story of my teeth.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:33 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,166,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You make it sound as if this "select number of individuals" numbers in the tens of thousands.
One in three Americans don't have ant dental coverage and only four out of ten see a dentist regularly compared to seven out of ten Britons and according to OECD figures 28% of Britons suffer tooth decay compared with a jaw-dropping 92 percent of adults in America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee
What does this have to do with the attitude towards teeth in general? Americans, as a whole, are not accepting of snaggle teeth.
Britons don't have snaggle teeth and cosmetic dentistry is very popular here. Americans are more likely to have no teeth full stop and you can try and find all the daft links you want, it's Americans who have rotten bad teeth and not the Europeans and it's backed up by professionals and international studies.

America’s Dental Care Crisis | Dollars and Dentists | FRONTLINE | PBS

Affordable Dental Care Unavailable To One-Third Of Americans: Report

Expensive and divisive: how America is losing patience with a failing system | World news | The Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guardian

But as the American century recedes ever further into memory, a new and fascinating shift is taking place. "We've gone full circle," says Dr Zaki Kanaan of the British Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry. "Originally it was America saying, 'We want really white teeth.' They were using veneers that were of a shade you can't get teeth to naturally. But now Europe leads the way. People used to want the Hollywood smile, now it's the European smile, which is a more reasonable colour. America is following our lead."

Read: British teeth: something to smile about at last? | Life and style | The Guardian

Last edited by Rozenn; 07-18-2014 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: Copyright

Old 07-16-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
One in three Americans don't have ant dental coverage and only four out of ten see a dentist regularly compared to seven out of ten Britons and according to OECD figures 28% of Britons suffer tooth decay compared with
The actual standard of care is also different in Britain.

Quote:
But as much as this is a story of incentives, it's also a story of culture. To my mind, the real problem with NHS dentistry isn't that it's run by the government. As I've argued before, the British government manages the rest of the health care system pretty well. The problem is that the government -- and by extension, the population -- doesn't care as much about oral health as they do about other aspects of personal health.
The fact that Brits find it comical that Americans floss daily only underscores this cultural difference.

Quote:
Digging sharp string between your teeth everyday is standard oral hygiene procedure in America. We know we’re supposed to do this too, but it hurts and it’s boring. Most Brits probably own a tub of floss, but only dust it off before a date or dental appointment.
10 American Habits Brits Will Never Understand | Mind The Gap | BBC America

Old 07-16-2014, 10:40 AM

Old 07-16-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
The actual standard of care is also different in Britain.
The standard may not be different, it's the access to dental treatment,

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee
The fact that Brits find it comical that Americans floss daily only underscores this cultural difference.
Honestly where do you get this rubbish from, no one is laughing at any one flossing and you can buy dental floss at any chemist or supermarket in the UK. Lots of people regularly use dental floss in the UK and dentists recommend flossing to their patients as do dental associations. The use of mouth wash is also common in the UK, as are small brushes to clean between teeth. I really think you and this thread are just trying to used daft half hearted stories based on stereotypes rather than anything else.

Why should I use dental floss? - Health questions - NHS Choices

Old 07-16-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Britons don't have snaggle teeth
And that's why white, wealthy guys who come from upper middle class backgrounds like Tim Henman and Andy Murray have such aesthetically appealing teeth, right?

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...05_722121a.jpg

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...y_2272154b.jpg

In the U.S., they would be ridiculed. There's just a different culture surrounding teeth. Either you agree or disagree with that. Apparently, you disagree, and believe that Brits are just as big on dental aesthetics as Americans are. You are about the only person I've ever encountered to express that opinion, which is generally contradicted by a wealth of anecdotal and academic evidence.

And you never answered my question. Are Brits as obssesive over teeth as Americans are?

Old 07-16-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
The standard may not be different, it's the access to dental treatment
I don't think you even bothered to read the article, did you? A "cleaning" in the UK is not the same as a "cleaning" in the United States. The standard of care is very different.

Quote:
Honestly where do you get this rubbish from, no one is laughing at any one flossing and you can buy dental floss at any chemist or supermarket in the UK. Lots of people regularly use dental floss in the UK
Right.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
And that's why white, wealthy guys who come from upper middle class backgrounds like Tim Henman and Andy Murray have such aesthetically appealing teeth, right?

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...05_722121a.jpg

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...y_2272154b.jpg

In the U.S., they would be ridiculed. There's just a different culture surrounding teeth. Either you agree or disagree with that. Apparently, you disagree, and believe that Brits are just as big on dental aesthetics as Americans are. You are about the only person I've ever encountered to express that opinion, which is generally contradicted by a wealth of anecdotal and academic evidence.

And you never answered my question. Are Brits as obssesive over teeth as Americans are?
That's totally up to them as individuals - as I have already pointed out Cosmetic Dentistry has grown massively in the UK, vut all you can do is try to find pictures of some sports people, well the real isuue is that over 100 million Americans don't have any dental care and America is full of people with terrible teeth.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:

Do you actually bother to read anything I post, as I have already made it very clear that Britons spend a considerable amount on Cosmetic Dentistry and there are Cosmetic Dentists throughout Britain.

Today, Cosmetic dentistry is very popular in Britain today and the British spend more on cosmetic surgery than any other European country. Indeed the British spend among the most on Cosmetic Dentistry and Surgery and have among the best teeth in the world whilst having better access to dental care than many nations - so much for myths and stereotypes.

Strong growth predicted for dental sector | Dentistry.co.uk

Harry Styles prompts teeth-whitening boom amongst teenagers with sales up 500 per cent | Mail Online

Last edited by Rozenn; 07-18-2014 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: Copyright

Old 07-16-2014, 11:23 AM

There are Cosmetic Dental Practices throughout the UK

Last edited by Bamford; 07-16-2014 at 11:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe