Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 12:56 PM

24,563 posts, read 10,869,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwindsforever View Post
I think they do nowadays (or atleast try their best). But during the 70's hairy was pretty popular amongst women.
I am not sure if hair is still popular amongst women. Have you checked the "hair" forum?

Old 05-04-2015, 09:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,087 times
I hate to interrupt these anecdotes and defensive/offensive perspective posts with actual data, but no... no I don't.

The evidence of bad teeth in Europe is overwhelming:

Countries With the Least Number of Cavities | Which Countries Have to Lowest Tooth Decay
Fluoride Action Network | GRAPHIC: Tooth Decay Trends in Fluoridated vs. Non-Fluoridated Countries (WHO data)

And the answer is mostly fluoridated water.

That said, there are countries with better teeth than the US, which is likely attributable to our high-sugar, high-carb diet. Sugar is a carbohydrate, BTW, and mouth bacteria are happy to feed on almost any carb. So there you go.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:49 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
That's from 2003. A more recent report concluded that British and German children have the least amount of cavities.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:58 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times
Around 76% of the UK population believe brushing teeth is a luxury. So I can understand why our teeth are ''bad''

lol....

Old 05-04-2015, 12:35 PM

3,888 posts, read 4,542,046 times
Hubby is from a working class family in the Dartford area. His teeth are "okay"... his mom had horribly stained teeth from tea, (although she had them whitened recently) and his dad had the worst teeth I ever saw in person! He recently had them pulled and got top dentures. I never asked or mentioned it, but I suspect a gum disease.

Periodontitis - Mayo Clinic

I don't have naturally great teeth, but having grown up in Southern California rather than a small town in rural American, I'm used to seeing mostly healthy teeth. I'm sure the influence of Hollywood plays a role.

Something else kind of interesting about California... at least from my experience and observation; I've worked in restaurants most of my adult life with many people from South of the Border. Many of the people were very poor, yet more often than not, they had big white toothy smiles! (some of course had problems, it depended on the area they came from and sometimes, too many minerals in the water damaged their teeth)

I do think genetics play a role, but also vitamin D may also play a role. Sunshine with all that Vitamin D is easy to get in the Southwest climate, while it's common to have a deficiency in rainy, cloudy climates.

How Vitamin D Levels Affect Teeth - For Dummies

Old 05-04-2015, 01:22 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarm3d View Post
I hate to interrupt these anecdotes and defensive/offensive perspective posts with actual data, but no... no I don't.

The evidence of bad teeth in Europe is overwhelming:

Countries With the Least Number of Cavities | Which Countries Have to Lowest Tooth Decay
Fluoride Action Network | GRAPHIC: Tooth Decay Trends in Fluoridated vs. Non-Fluoridated Countries (WHO data)

And the answer is mostly fluoridated water.

That said, there are countries with better teeth than the US, which is likely attributable to our high-sugar, high-carb diet. Sugar is a carbohydrate, BTW, and mouth bacteria are happy to feed on almost any carb. So there you go.
I thought recent studies show that actually Europeans have healthier teeth than Americans no? Still you can't fight stereotypes can you? So you're obviously 25 stones no?

Old 05-04-2015, 05:15 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
I do think genetics play a role, but also vitamin D may also play a role. Sunshine with all that Vitamin D is easy to get in the Southwest climate, while it's common to have a deficiency in rainy, cloudy climates.

How Vitamin D Levels Affect Teeth - For Dummies

Like the Sun would be the only source of vitamin D.

And... you get enough vitamin D if you're out for 15 minutes three days a week in direct sunshine.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:42 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,863,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Hubby is from a working class family in the Dartford area. His teeth are "okay"... his mom had horribly stained teeth from tea, (although she had them whitened recently) and his dad had the worst teeth I ever saw in person! He recently had them pulled and got top dentures. I never asked or mentioned it, but I suspect a gum disease.
Gum disease is easy to treat, unless someone is extremely negligent, and allows it to get so advanced, that they're at risk of losing their teeth. I had fairly advanced gum disease, due to an underlying health problem that US doctors aren't trained to diagnose and treat, but it was successfully resolved with a few months of twice daily irrigation with an herbal tincture. Some patients require a more radical intervention, but even in extreme cases, the teeth can usually be saved and the gum disease healed.

I can't imagine someone voluntarily having all their teeth pulled. I doubt that was necessary. Maybe one or two, but not all. I don't understand people allowing the disease to get to the point where that would even be considered. Though I know from experience that it's hard to find a dentist who will take concerns about gum disease seriously, until the effect of it becomes easily visible, at which point the case is already severe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe