Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 06:22 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,037,971 times

Advertisements

I would guess that in a majority of cases a hotel in Paris, London or Rome has been there longer than a North American equivalent, a lift has probably been added to an already existing hotel rather than being built into one. You have to remember the age of the buildings in Paris or London before complaining about the size, I guess the alternative could be 'knock down' some of the surrounding buildings (St, Pauls or Westminster Abbey perhaps in London or the Arc de Triumphe or Notre Dame in Paris) to make more room for the Travelodge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 09:15 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,305,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I would guess that in a majority of cases a hotel in Paris, London or Rome has been there longer than a North American equivalent, a lift has probably been added to an already existing hotel rather than being built into one. You have to remember the age of the buildings in Paris or London before complaining about the size, I guess the alternative could be 'knock down' some of the surrounding buildings (St, Pauls or Westminster Abbey perhaps in London or the Arc de Triumphe or Notre Dame in Paris) to make more room for the Travelodge?
There's plenty of hotels in American downtowns that were build in very tight spots - in cities like Chicago or NYC, for example. While they typically have much smaller rooms than a typical hotel, they also have decent elevators, working air conditioners, ice dispensers, large screen TVs, and at least sometimes usable WiFi.

We have been renting flats on Airbnb or similar services for the past few trips so I can't comment on the current state of the industry. The last European hotel I stayed at was ok but did not have a working a/c nor wifi, and a rather ancient small CRT TV. Who cares really.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:43 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,194,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Oh yeah, the AC thing in Europe sucks. If you get a hot day in the spring or autumn, you are destined to sweat like a pig while you try to sleep.
Or stay at a better hotel.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:56 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
European hotels are generally more expensive than a comparable room in the US or Canada. The European rooms are often better appointed, but I'd give some of that back for more space. It is what it is.
Huh. I found American hotels tend to be more expensive. Harder to find cheap accommodations in the US

Old 09-30-2016, 02:11 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,037,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
There's plenty of hotels in American downtowns that were build in very tight spots - in cities like Chicago or NYC, for example. While they typically have much smaller rooms than a typical hotel, they also have decent elevators, working air conditioners, ice dispensers, large screen TVs, and at least sometimes usable WiFi.

We have been renting flats on Airbnb or similar services for the past few trips so I can't comment on the current state of the industry. The last European hotel I stayed at was ok but did not have a working a/c nor wifi, and a rather ancient small CRT TV. Who cares really.
If somebody is staying at a hotel in Europe without these things then I suggest they are staying at a 'cheap' hotel. When I go to southern Europe even in the height of summer I personally prefer to use the ceiling fan over the air con anyway (if it has both options), air con is rarely needed really, particularly in Northern Europe.

Old 09-30-2016, 08:21 AM

27,197 posts, read 13,489,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post

The Old US Embassy at Grosvenor Square is set to become a hotel when the new Embassy at Nine Elms near Battersea opens in 2017.

It might be quite an interesting place to stay and Americans can look out on to the Roosevelt Memorial and an area rich in US History.

US embassy in London to become luxury hotel in £1bn revamp of Grosvenor Square | London Evening Standard

US embassy in London to become a luxury hotel - The Telegraph

Grosvenor Square has a long history in respect of the US, John Adams, America’s first Ambassador to the Court of St James’s, opened a diplomatic post there, and since then five US presidents, four vice presidents and ten secretaries of state have served in this leafy heart of London including Joseph Kennedy, his son John F. Kennedy has a blue plaque at 14 Prince's Gate where he spent part of his childhood.

In WWII Dwight Eisenhower set up his military headquarters in Grosvenor Square, earning the square the name ‘Little America’.

In the days following 9/11, the square was filled with flowers for the victims of the terrorist attacks and there is now a permanent 9/11 Memorial.

Even when the Embassy is gone the Roosevelt Memorial, Eisenhower’s statue, the Ronald Reagan statue and the 9/11 memorial will remain as a reminder of America’s long association with the square.

Grosvenor Square - Wiki

United States Ambassador to the United Kingdom - Wiki

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-30-2016 at 09:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe