Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 08:23 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I really can't relate. Here are some European hotels I've stayed in recently:

London:
Living room of suite:

The bedroom (with a king size bed) was even larger, and the bathroom was divine. This hotel was in Westminster (about a five minute walk from Westminster Abbey) and cost about $350 a night.
I'm generally a budget travel but that looks so nice to be worth that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 08:25 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
I found a decent hotel (rooms were definitely on the small side) for $60-$80 (can't remember the exact price, or whether it was Euros or Dollars) in Amsterdam. Was January though.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:14 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,485,018 times
You overpaid. I've stayed in a 4-star hotel in Paris for less than 100 Dollars per night a few years ago.
I don't stay at Hotels anymore, though. Just overpriced and rip you off. Stay away from Hotels.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:16 PM

579 posts, read 761,673 times
Paris is the 2nd most expensive city in the World. In comparison NYC is the most expensive American @ #26

Old 03-27-2014, 12:33 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,181,810 times
The OP paid 350 USD for 10m². Do some research next time!

Old 03-27-2014, 01:51 AM

326 posts, read 672,408 times
Well, it's no secret that in Paris, London, NYC etc you tend to pay a lot for what would normally be considered a small hotel room. Important to do that research. I am at a pretty disappointing Crowne Plaza near London right now. The company booked it for me. The rooms are small and noisy. Not impressed. Having said that, the last time I was in a noisy hotel with thin walls and where I could here every step taken and word spoken by the guests above me was in Phoenix, AZ (It was a middle of the range airport chain hotel, forgot which one).

I think many European hotels are actually built a lot better (for example luxury bathrooms as opposed to single-piece fiber glass shower/tubs that I often see in the US even at more expensive hotels). The free breakfast at American budget and middle class hotels is often served on styrofoam plates, coffee in styrofoam cups etc. In Europe even the most basic hotels will have proper plates, mugs and silverware. The other thing is the cookie cutter design of most American hotels. Apart from the top resort places, you have a big box building surrounded by a huge parking lot, with a small, square, fenced in pool adjacent to the car park out the back. Not really, cozy or inviting. Again, there are some really nice resorts in the States and some great hotels and B&Bs. But many more that are only ok. Again, it pays do do some research.

I have stayed at many great hotels in both Europe and the US. I do prefer the generally larger rooms in the States especially at places like Embassy Suites or other "suite hotels". But some of the best hotels I have stayed at are in Europe.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:02 AM

I stayed at a Best Western in Bayswater, London last year. Paid 330 around USD per night. The room was very small and not very fresh. I cannot complain, though. I booked the hotel (+flight). 4-5 days in advance. Hotels in London and Paris are notoriously expensive.

Hotels in Norway are generally quite good.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:18 AM

32 posts, read 34,336 times
Hotels/Motels/Pensions in Europe are no match for American hotels. The cheapest roach hotel in the US is better than a three star hotel in Europe. Most facilities in inner city are old, and sometimes poorly refurbished.

It's just a matter of space, history... A 2000 years old city with a Roman layout based on a military fort is not the same than an American city.

Last edited by cococorico; 03-27-2014 at 04:30 AM..

Old 03-27-2014, 04:49 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,341,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cococorico View Post
Hotels/Motels/Pensions in Europe are no match for American hotels. The cheapest roach hotel in the US is better than a three star hotel in Europe. Most facilities in inner city are old, and sometimes poorly refurbished.

It's just a matter of space, history... A 2000 years old city with a Roman layout based on a military fort is not the same than an American city.
After a 7-week-long budget road trip through the north-east of the US and travelling through Europe all my life, I can assure you that both the US and Europe have pretty disgusting hotels. You get what you pay for...

Worst places were definitely a hotel in Porto and a hotel in Maine... I'm not complaining, though, cause it didn't expect much for 20€ (Porto)/35$ (Maine)...

Old 03-27-2014, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cococorico View Post

Please stop generalizing. Three star hotels in ex. Scandinavia are quite good. I have stayed at shabby hotels in the US. NYC got plenty of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe