Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 05:05 AM

586 posts, read 831,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Super Small Elevator
... Maybe your average European is of a different scale to the average American and Euro Hotels cater to that?

Is it possible that a 6 man lift in a European hotel is more of a 2 man US lift?... Hmm?... Worth considering anyway...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 05:13 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,825,803 times
Somehow I think the OP is just making it all up, just as he did in the last thread. Then, he said he'd travelled extensively throughout Europe, for example Scandinavia, but it turned out to be false.

Now, he HATED (most) European hotels, and gives one single example in Paris. A person who have travelled "extensively" in Europe would not fall for a scam.

I found hotels like this in Paris for $350 a night:

Or:

with:
Room Details

• Air conditioning
  • Bathrobes
  • Blackout drapes/curtains
  • CD player
  • City view
  • Climate control
  • Clock radio
  • Complimentary bottled water
  • Complimentary toiletries
  • Courtyard view
  • Cribs/infant beds (complimentary)
  • Daily housekeeping
  • Designer toiletries
  • Desk
  • Direct-dial phone
  • Double sink
  • Electronic/magnetic keys
  • Free wired high-speed Internet
  • Hair dryer
  • Handheld showerhead
  • In-room safe (laptop compatible)
  • iPod docking station
  • Iron/ironing board (on request)
  • Makeup/shaving mirror
  • Minibar
  • Phone
  • Pillow menu
  • Private bathroom
  • Rainfall showerhead
  • Satellite TV service
  • Sewing kit
  • Shower only
  • Signature bedding
  • Slippers
  • Soundproofed rooms
  • Turndown service
  • Wake-up calls
  • Window opens

So, now I would like to know the name and address of that hotel the OP stayed in, or I'm gonna report a troll thread to the moderators.

Edit: Oh, now when I looked closer, the OP seems to have a long history of making threads that are nicely said... fiction.

Last edited by Ariete; 03-27-2014 at 05:24 AM..

Old 03-27-2014, 05:23 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,539,324 times
$350 is literally weeks of travel money for me. I cannot comprehend people who drop this kind of money on something that lasts 12 hours or so. Decent private rooms can be had for ~ $50 just about anywhere if you know where to look.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:48 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,331,748 times
I'd definitly never spend that type money for a night's sleep. When in London for example, I stay at a hotel in Bayswater(The London House) and I pay about 80 pounds per night for a single room..this place is centrally located and near the tube/subway stations, etc...when travelling, you can't expect all the comforts of home.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:18 AM

217 posts, read 277,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
$350 is literally weeks of travel money for me. I cannot comprehend people who drop this kind of money on something that lasts 12 hours or so. Decent private rooms can be had for ~ $50 just about anywhere if you know where to look.
Haha i thought the same. I wouldn't be able to sleep having spent that much money on a bed, i'd want to use my precious and expensive time

Old 03-27-2014, 06:51 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_from_Germany View Post
Well, it's no secret that in Paris, London, NYC etc you tend to pay a lot for what would normally be considered a small hotel room. Important to do that research. I am at a pretty disappointing Crowne Plaza near London right now. The company booked it for me. The rooms are small and noisy. Not impressed. Having said that, the last time I was in a noisy hotel with thin walls and where I could here every step taken and word spoken by the guests above me was in Phoenix, AZ (It was a middle of the range airport chain hotel, forgot which one).

I think many European hotels are actually built a lot better (for example luxury bathrooms as opposed to single-piece fiber glass shower/tubs that I often see in the US even at more expensive hotels). The free breakfast at American budget and middle class hotels is often served on styrofoam plates, coffee in styrofoam cups etc. In Europe even the most basic hotels will have proper plates, mugs and silverware. The other thing is the cookie cutter design of most American hotels. Apart from the top resort places, you have a big box building surrounded by a huge parking lot, with a small, square, fenced in pool adjacent to the car park out the back. Not really, cozy or inviting. Again, there are some really nice resorts in the States and some great hotels and B&Bs. But many more that are only ok. Again, it pays do do some research.

I have stayed at many great hotels in both Europe and the US. I do prefer the generally larger rooms in the States especially at places like Embassy Suites or other "suite hotels". But some of the best hotels I have stayed at are in Europe.
My experience with US hotels is that if you pay about the same as you'd pay in Europe, you generally get an excellent hotel in the US. It's not really fair to compare expensive European hotels with cheap US hotels. It's better to compare the fine European hotels with hotels in the US like the Peabody in Memphis. That's comparing apples to apples. If you spend the same amount of money in the US as you do in Europe, you won't eat breakfast off of styrofoam plates, that's for sure!

That being said, I much prefer European B and B's over US B and B's generally.

I could go a lot cheaper on hotels ANYWHERE but my husband, who travels for a living, is sort of a hotel snob. What I mean by that, is when he travels for business, he is often housed in uncomfortable housing (when he's on location he's usually in a trailer) so en route, he offsets that discomfort by staying in very nice hotels for a night or two. All his uncomfortable time away from home has made him VERY picky about hotels. Lucky for me, he's willing to shell out the bucks for nice hotels - we consider the hotel we stay in to be part of the total vacation experience (believe me, if you choose a nice enough hotel, it can become a very luxurious part of your vacation and we consider it well worth the money). For us, we love coming in from a day of sightseeing and relaxing in a big, luxurious room with a fabulous bathroom, all the amenities, and a delicious breakfast spread (Germany and Belgium and the UK do breakfast best in my opinion!).

We do our research first and have rarely been disappointed in our hotel stay. We've had great experiences with privately owned hotels as well as chains in Europe. The Edelweiss is privately owned and it's fantastic (I think there are three or four Edelweiss hotels in Germany). The Marriott in Ghent was gorgeous. Oh, and here are a few photos of the Sheraton hotel we stayed in in Garmisch Partenkirchen (about $150 a night):

View from our room!

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 03-27-2014 at 07:05 AM..

Old 03-27-2014, 07:01 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,203,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Hotels in popular cities are often overpriced. Not only in Europe. I would never pay more than 100 dollars per night for a single room.
What matters most to me in a hotel is cleanliness and reliable hot water. Room size is all but irrelevant to me. After all, it is not supposed to replace your home. Europe is old, some hotels are centuries old, so naturally they have small rooms.
A few days ago I was looking at a thread about some Americans trying to find affordable hotels in NYC...the prices were ridiculous, and the suggestions for reasonably priced hotels mainly involved staying in Jersey. If I had had any intentions of going to NYC (used to live there, so no point) this thread would have killed them.

I have found clean, comfortable, conveniently located hotels, both old and new, in Lisbon, Barcelona, Amsterdam, Brussels, Athens, Istanbul, etc. again and again for decent prices. As for room size: I am sleeping in the room, not living in it. I don't need or expect a studio apartment.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:28 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,737,715 times
As has been pointed out upthread, there's no way a normal hotel would charge $350 for a 10 m² room, even in central Paris. If true, it was a monumental rip-off. My parents have paid around €150 per night for a 6 m² room with toilets and shower shared with the whole floor on the Damrak in Amsterdam on a busy weekend, so I'm willing to believe such scams exist. But putting it as an example of poor hotels in Europe in the opening post is highly misleading.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:56 AM

217 posts, read 277,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
As has been pointed out upthread, there's no way a normal hotel would charge $350 for a 10 m² room, even in central Paris. If true, it was a monumental rip-off. My parents have paid around €150 per night for a 6 m² room with toilets and shower shared with the whole floor on the Damrak in Amsterdam on a busy weekend, so I'm willing to believe such scams exist. But putting it as an example of poor hotels in Europe in the opening post is highly misleading.
The Damrak is a scam in itself and I have no idea why people even go there, let alone pay for a room in the place.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:29 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
A few days ago I was looking at a thread about some Americans trying to find affordable hotels in NYC...the prices were ridiculous, and the suggestions for reasonably priced hotels mainly involved staying in Jersey. If I had had any intentions of going to NYC (used to live there, so no point) this thread would have killed them.

I have found clean, comfortable, conveniently located hotels, both old and new, in Lisbon, Barcelona, Amsterdam, Brussels, Athens, Istanbul, etc. again and again for decent prices. As for room size: I am sleeping in the room, not living in it. I don't need or expect a studio apartment.
Indeed. It also depends on where you are visiting. If you go to a rainy place you might have to stay indoors much more than if you go to a sunny place where you spend most of the day outside.

In the hinterland of your country of choice one can find very nice accommodation for $30 a night, even cheaper when you book an entire week or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe