Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 01:48 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,797,533 times

Advertisements

On my last trip to Europe with a friend I loved my days traveling around seeing the sites and watching the people but the nights were hell! Why? The typical European hotel. So much $ for so little.

Paris was the worst. I LOVED PARIS during the day but at night I just hated being there. $350 a night for that hotel! OMG! Here was my beefs about the hotels in European Cities (especially Paris)

Small 100 Square Foot Rooms with my head inches from the hall way

Two super hard single beds right next to each other. It was basically like being in the same double bed. This made me and my male traveling companion very uncomfortable. I was so close to him! (I would have loved to be staying in a typical American hotel with two queen sized beds (softer mattress) with each bed 5 feet apart)

No Sound Proofing. I could hear everyone in the hall, in the elevator and outside.

Air Conditioning is only offered during the summer. Even though it was 90 degrees outside in the Fall.

Super Small Elevator

No vending and ice machine

Lights out in the hall and in the room unless I had the key in the slot.

I could go on and on.

These were not historic buildings but new construction.

When will European middle class hotels meet up with the 21st Century?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 02:12 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,126,588 times
I was a traveling IT/system administrator for a large owner of IHG Hotels franchises (Intercontinental, Crown Plaza, Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express...) plus a few private hotels all over Europe and the hotels were at least as good as there American counterparts. The Holiday Inn´s were way better than an American Holiday Inn.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:21 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
I really can't relate. Here are some European hotels I've stayed in recently:

London:
Living room of suite:

The bedroom (with a king size bed) was even larger, and the bathroom was divine. This hotel was in Westminster (about a five minute walk from Westminster Abbey) and cost about $350 a night.

Here's the hotel we stayed in in Berchtesgaden, Germany:
Hotel in Berchtesgaden : Spa Hotel Edelweiss, Bavaria, Germany
Fabulous, gorgeous rooms! Also, a fantastic spa and terrific breakfast spread. This one was about $300 a night.

Here's where we stayed in Ghent, Belgium recently (Ghent Marriott):
Booking.com: Ghent Marriott Hotel , Ghent, Belgium - 992 Guest reviews . Book your hotel now!

The staff was super friendly and helpful and the rooms were very pleasant and comfortable...and for only about $250 a night.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:34 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,348,019 times
Next time you should do some research on the hotels you are staying at...

Old 03-26-2014, 03:15 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,489,808 times
Why do Americans use the Air Conditioned on always soo cold? this point about AC made me remind how cold I was in American public places.

There's no need for AC in winter anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Next time you should do some research on the hotels you are staying at...
Exactly

Old 03-26-2014, 03:26 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
Hotels in popular cities are often overpriced. Not only in Europe. I would never pay more than 100 dollars per night for a single room.
What matters most to me in a hotel is cleanliness and reliable hot water. Room size is all but irrelevant to me. After all, it is not supposed to replace your home. Europe is old, some hotels are centuries old, so naturally they have small rooms.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:54 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,933,204 times
Try a Bed and Breakfast. I have heard they are delightful in Europe...

Old 03-26-2014, 04:08 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
Don't the international chains have the same standard around the globe anyway? I remember staying at Ibis in several countries, it was the same standard everywhere. I assume it is the same with Marriott etc. One can find those chains in any city where tourists tend to go.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:52 PM

217 posts, read 277,581 times
AC makes me sick..

Old 03-26-2014, 08:21 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
Why do Americans use the Air Conditioned on always soo cold? this point about AC made me remind how cold I was in American public places.
When I stayed at a hotel in Chicago in May, the A/C was left on and set something quite cold. I found it so cold I turned the heat on.

The San Francisco hotel I stayed at in December had the heat off in the room when I arrived, you have to turn on the heat to get any heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe