Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-20-2021, 06:11 PM
 
26,777 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Reputation: 10037

Advertisements

It isn't over till it's over.
Mhm.





https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9ocbHQg5Go


( And that's why Russians are not in a rush to embrace "new Afghan government" or "new Afghanistan" in general.

They know better, even if the Russian ambassador there was trying to sound as *hopeful and enthusiastic* to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-20-2021, 06:20 PM
 
9,511 posts, read 5,435,844 times
Reputation: 9092
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Well someone was asking on another thread how "Americanized" former Eastern European countries are, and I already answered for Russia in particular.

Yes, americanized enough, and it's one of the manifestations of it.



This is yet an another example



The "luxuries" downtown Moscow ( as much as the 18 times difference between the rich and poor there) is yet another one.

And then I already mentioned the TV shows, the whole hype around the "rich and famous" - so yes, Russia is Americanized enough at this point.

Which now makes many to vote for the communists.

The closer I watch certain cities in Russia the Americanized it seems. Smolenck for example. People complain endlessly about little things. Chain restaurants are moving in forcing out the little kiosk eateries run by mothers and babushkas. Convenience stores that all sell booze far into the night and even the crime.

In all my time watching it seems like a slow process of gentrification hand in hand with the rot of various vices that (while it was always there) seems to be getting worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2021, 06:23 PM
 
9,511 posts, read 5,435,844 times
Reputation: 9092
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
It isn't over till it's over.
Mhm.





https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9ocbHQg5Go


( And that's why Russians are not in a rush to embrace "new Afghan government" or "new Afghanistan" in general.

They know better, even if the Russian ambassador there was trying to sound as *hopeful and enthusiastic* to begin with.
Yup. Close to the Pakistan border = easy access and Jalalabad has historically always been hard to control because of that.

It's just going to go on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2021, 06:33 PM
 
9,511 posts, read 5,435,844 times
Reputation: 9092
On the other hand the people of Smolenck have a right to complain.

https://smolnarod.ru/sn/scandals/kom...niya-vinovnyx/

This is just a half arsed job. It's a fail from the top, the officials do not enforce codes and standards. It's probably due to corruption and improper planning.

About as American as you can get.

https://www.kktv.com/2021/09/15/11-c...yment-dispute/

I think the contractor did a sloppy job here too.

Just the normal human condition?

Last edited by Scrat335; 09-20-2021 at 06:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2021, 07:07 PM
 
26,777 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Reputation: 10037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
On the other hand the people of Smolenck have a right to complain.

https://smolnarod.ru/sn/scandals/kom...niya-vinovnyx/

This is just a half arsed job. It's a fail from the top, the officials do not enforce codes and standards. It's probably due to corruption and improper planning.

Back in Soviet times the blame for such things was often turned against the government, since the government was in charge of both planning/organizing/ and building anything and everything.

So the bottom line ( according to some) was "if private business were in charge, things would have been done differently, since the private owner (motivated by profits) would have done much better job."

Fast forward, and that's what we see with the "private contractors" that are hired by the government to do the public projects.

The private contractors, "motivated by profits," write on paper the description of jobs that they SUPPOSE to do, and then do only half of it ( or do it half-arsed.)
At that, they cut the corners as much as they can and the money that they "save" in the process - they split them with the government officials, who accept the "done job" and sign the papers stating that project is accomplished appropriately.

And since the majority of the local officials belong to the "United Russia," and the "contractors" are people that have personal ties to them, it is what it is across the country.



There is a reason why Furgal was so loved by locals in his region, because as a governor, he was watching out precisely for this kind of "arrangements," fighting for the public projects ( and thus well-being of his constituents.)


That's precisely the scene that you see here - he is arriving at one of such "accomplished" public projects ( the new stadium in this case) and gets visibly irritated, when looking at this half-arsed job.


So this is one of the reasons why he was so inconvenient for the "United Russia" people.




https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Por---9v7x4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2021, 07:59 PM
 
26,777 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Reputation: 10037
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
As I was expecting UR wasn’t going to perform so badly.
Here are results so far with 61.35% of the votes counted

UR: 47.41% (-6.79%)
CPRF: 20.78% (+7.44%)
LDPR: 7.86% (-5.28%)
SR: 7.51% (+1.29%)
New People: 5.73% (new party)

Source: https://ru.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Вы...думу_(2021)

I’m curious who this new party (New People) is taking their votes from? They lean right and are pro business men (emphasising on small businesses) and many people accuse them of being a Kremlin project. Just looking at the numbers looks like the people who left LDPR joined this new party?

Grega...
I suspect that in reality UR performed much worse.

The initial figures that I saw 24% of KPRF VS 38% of Untied Russia was more like it, and may be the real difference was even smaller.



The falsifications were too obvious for everyone this time around, starting with the voting "on line," not in person.
And from what I understand, that it were not just your regular *communists* voting for the communist party in Duma, but a lot of other people voting for them, just to break the UR dominance.




https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl3HQVJb9ok


So while I wouldn't say that KPRF won the elections ( UR still has the support of course,) but the difference in vote is much smaller than it's claimed officially.

I think Russians are simply tired of the same old, same old, so they voted for the KPRF as the only official opposition in the government body against the UR.



P.S. Zhirinovsky by the way acknowledged his *mistake* with Dyagterev ( he couldn't not to notice that the rating of his party went down,) but for everyone it's obvious for now, that Dyagterev is Kremlin's man, and that Kremlin is not going to lose its grip on Khabarovsk region. It will keep it in a choke-hold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2021, 09:23 PM
 
9,511 posts, read 5,435,844 times
Reputation: 9092
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Back in Soviet times the blame for such things was often turned against the government, since the government was in charge of both planning/organizing/ and building anything and everything.

So the bottom line ( according to some) was "if private business were in charge, things would have been done differently, since the private owner (motivated by profits) would have done much better job."

Fast forward, and that's what we see with the "private contractors" that are hired by the government to do the public projects.

The private contractors, "motivated by profits," write on paper the description of jobs that they SUPPOSE to do, and then do only half of it ( or do it half-arsed.)
At that, they cut the corners as much as they can and the money that they "save" in the process - they split them with the government officials, who accept the "done job" and sign the papers stating that project is accomplished appropriately.

And since the majority of the local officials belong to the "United Russia," and the "contractors" are people that have personal ties to them, it is what it is across the country.



There is a reason why Furgal was so loved by locals in his region, because as a governor, he was watching out precisely for this kind of "arrangements," fighting for the public projects ( and thus well-being of his constituents.)


That's precisely the scene that you see here - he is arriving at one of such "accomplished" public projects ( the new stadium in this case) and gets visibly irritated, when looking at this half-arsed job.


So this is one of the reasons why he was so inconvenient for the "United Russia" people.




https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Por---9v7x4
Agreed. Standards here are much better but the cost of some are staggering. Tacomas light rail was 7.5 million for 1.75 miles of track. Asphalt, cement, and a rail bed didn't cost that much 20 years ago, no way. Being in close proximity to the construction industry in America for most of my working life the corruption is built into the price so long as the codes are followed.

Did I ever tell you about the million dollar self composting toilet on Mt Rainier?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2021, 10:06 PM
 
Location: Seattle WA, USA
5,699 posts, read 4,922,938 times
Reputation: 4942
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Grega...
I suspect that in reality UR performed much worse.

The initial figures that I saw 24% of KPRF VS 38% of Untied Russia was more like it, and may be the real difference was even smaller.



The falsifications were too obvious for everyone this time around, starting with the voting "on line," not in person.
And from what I understand, that it were not just your regular *communists* voting for the communist party in Duma, but a lot of other people voting for them, just to break the UR dominance.




https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl3HQVJb9ok


So while I wouldn't say that KPRF won the elections ( UR still has the support of course,) but the difference in vote is much smaller than it's claimed officially.

I think Russians are simply tired of the same old, same old, so they voted for the KPRF as the only official opposition in the government body against the UR.



P.S. Zhirinovsky by the way acknowledged his *mistake* with Dyagterev ( he couldn't not to notice that the rating of his party went down,) but for everyone it's obvious for now, that Dyagterev is Kremlin's man, and that Kremlin is not going to lose its grip on Khabarovsk region. It will keep it in a choke-hold.
When I was talking about expectations I was referring to official numbers. That being said I was a bit optimistic about fair results in the elections, but after I saw the results for the constituency (which I believe is the one where people vote directly for candidates in the duma) it was clear as day that UR was pulling some heavy ropes.

UR: 88% vs 50%
CPRF: 4% vs 19%

I may have believed the results for the party list was legitimate considering that voter turn out was only around 50%, which yes is high, but most of the people who didn't turn out don't believe the elections are legitimate in the first place, but the other values are extremely sus to me, and UR still holding on to super majority. Furthermore Degtyarev won the gubernatorial race with 57% of the vote which is complete farce when taking into account the major protests against him, although there weren't any real alternative candidates to choose from but still the only way he could've won in reality is probably with a plurality win with around 30-40%. Then there was also another high profile outspoken and popular CPRF candidate (Nikolai Bondarenko from Saratov who lost big to UR. I heard the Communist party doesn't recognize the electoral vote, but I guess we shall see how hard they will push, but being realistic they will probably fold. That being said looking at the results, Yakutia looks to be a new stronghold for the communists which I guess isn't a surprise considering how poorly the forest fires are being managed and them getting worse every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2021, 06:30 PM
 
9,511 posts, read 5,435,844 times
Reputation: 9092
This is something to watch. As the power structure of the world changes and the US finds itself falling in stature it will try to keep it's place and possibly this will result in open conflicts and definitely more terrorism of countries around the world.


https://tass.com/defense/1340539
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2021, 07:38 AM
 
9,511 posts, read 5,435,844 times
Reputation: 9092
More on the gas crisis in Europe.

https://www.rt.com/business/535493-u...t-gas-ukraine/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top