Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2022, 09:22 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,007,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
The number of tourists in Russia in 2019 by country:
China - 1.5 million people.
Germany - 522.2 thousand.
South Korea - 413.6 thousand.
USA - 240 thousand.
Israel - 199 thousand.
I think that most Germany, USA and Israel are kindred visits. China and South Korea are real tourists. My own observations confirm this. I often see the names of tourist sites in Chinese.
Yet many from South Korea also go to Russia for kindred visits as well. As after all I have encountered Russians of Korean background.

With Russia and Ukraine all I got to say is I am praying for peace there and the fighting to stop. Only God knows Putin heart and he will have to face God someday, just like those caught up in the war and lost their lives there in the ongoing war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2022, 04:48 AM

5,490 posts, read 13,863,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
IMO the government doesn't care about the failure of small businesses. It has never understood the role that small businesses play in the bigger economic picture. Especially if those businesses depend in part on tourism from abroad. The mindset is still stuck in the days of large enterprises. Also, there's still a strong xenophobic streak in elements in the government, who don't care if tourism from the West is cut off. They don't realize, that foreign tourists are one potentially significant contributor to the economic engine in the regional economies across Russia.

This was demonstrated very clearly in the 90's. The Baikal region has tremendous potential for tourism, both on the Buryat side and the Irkutsk side. Alaska Airlines was organizing and sending entire planeloads of tourists twice weekly not only to Khabarovsk and Vladivostok, but all the way to Baikal (via internal Russian flights from the Russ. Far East). Environmental organizations had begun collaborative efforts of various sorts with partners in Ulan Ude, Buryatia, as well as Irkutsk. This had begun to have a positive ripple effect on local economies. Then suddenly, the airport authority in Khabarovsk caused a problem for one of the Alaska flights, holding up its departure. An apparently completely arbitrary action. I can't help but suspect perhaps it was ordered from Moscow. In any case, everything came crashing down. Alaska Air decided they couldn't continue to risk such problems, resulting in tremendous discomfort and inconvenience for their customers. When the Alaska flights stopped, the agreement to allow Aeroflot to serve the same route was cancelled. The End.

Later in the 90's, Germany set up factories in western Russia, then also discovered Baikal. They had tour companies sending people to the area, again--to both sides of the lake. Friends in Ulan Ude told me, there was a noticeable improvement in the standard of living for some of the population. This is the power of tourism to stimulate small local economies. I don't know how long that lasted, but at this point, any international tourism in Russia is dead. It's a lost cause. That is very, very sad.

And foreign investment in Russia is also dead, unless the Chinese want to do it. Factories capitalized by West European companies, oil extraction by Canada, the US, British Petroleum, Royal Dutch Shell, in an instant--a thing of the past, assets seized ("nationalized") by the government. Grocery imports from Finland, home furnishings from Sweden's Idea, history. Scads of passenger planes leased to Russian companies--lost to them forever. I suppose the leadership regards this as a fair exchange for the sanctions imposed, the freezing of funds held in foreign banks. But the point is, that after this experience (and other earlier ones of a similar nature), no one will ever trust Russia again to respect contracts or foreign ownership of equipment or infrastructure installed at considerable expense.

The iron curtain is back, and it's the Russian people who will suffer for it. So much hope for the future, so much progress already made in the right direction, gone overnight.
Soviet standard policies are extreme. Call that highly eccentric or unique, just horribly wrong to mess with Ukraine this year. Why try to ruin such a good thing? Russia was such a cool solid republic. Losing just enough real worth. Almost all past redemption of credibility ruined.

Sochi Of Krasnodar Krai Oblast is another must visit spot outside of Moscow/Saint Petersburg. You are always right, Ruth4Truth. Including on Vladivostok, Khabarovsk, Irkutsk. Technically, there is at least adequate variety of big cities/towns. A bit less Centralized than what some might expect.

From Moscow to Irkutsk, what are some other essentials? Nizhny Novgorod, Yekaterinburg, Kazan, Samara, Perm, Chelyabinsk, Ufa, Omsk, Novosibirsk, Tyumen, Krasnoyarsk? Kind of a lot of people live over there from Nizhny to Krasnoyarsk just north of the border with Kazakhstan. 11 Of These mega!? cities just in this region usually have 1 million+ per urban limits area, except for Tyumen with 800,000. Which is still quite massive.

3rd to 9th Largest Cities are exactly in this surprising relatively high density populated Siberia land corridor zone:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_population
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ity_edited.svg
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ye...6!4d60.6445313
What is the official name of this administrative geopolitical swath of land? There must be another relevant label.
For Nizhny Novogorod to Krasnoyarsk.

If Russia peoples don't see much if any foreigners until further notice, that is kind of a serious awkward situation. For the entire picture, reminds them of War, Sanctions, Visa Suspensions, Currency Exchange Bans, Stock Market Closures, Local Cash Funds Crashing, Enough People Losing Jobs, Fatal Bankruptcies, Even More Racist Xenophobia, False Ignorant Lies In Local Propaganda Versus Still Overly Biased Western News Media, Feeling Shame The Kremlin Did Something This Wrong, Encountering Worldwide Attitude In Virtually Absolutely Any Other Country, finally this republic's own potential collapse around ISOLATION.

Russia used to be one of the best Europe countries for me. Now, it just isn't because of the stupid pointless War. There was just so much to like that is just completely tossed aside. Have to support Ukraine.

Last edited by *******; 05-03-2022 at 05:41 AM..

Old 05-03-2022, 11:10 AM

102,055 posts, read 106,854,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ******* View Post
Soviet standard policies are extreme. Call that highly eccentric or unique, just horribly wrong to mess with Ukraine this year. Why try to ruin such a good thing? Russia was such a cool solid republic. Losing just enough real worth. Almost all past redemption of credibility ruined.

Sochi Of Krasnodar Krai Oblast is another must visit spot outside of Moscow/Saint Petersburg. You are always right, Ruth4Truth. Including on Vladivostok, Khabarovsk, Irkutsk. Technically, there is at least adequate variety of big cities/towns. A bit less Centralized than what some might expect.

From Moscow to Irkutsk, what are some other essentials? Nizhny Novgorod, Yekaterinburg, Kazan, Samara, Perm, Chelyabinsk, Ufa, Omsk, Novosibirsk, Tyumen, Krasnoyarsk? Kind of a lot of people live over there from Nizhny to Krasnoyarsk just north of the border with Kazakhstan. 11 Of These mega!? cities just in this region usually have 1 million+ per urban limits area, except for Tyumen with 800,000. Which is still quite massive.

3rd to 9th Largest Cities are exactly in this surprising relatively high density populated Siberia land corridor zone:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_population
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ity_edited.svg
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ye...6!4d60.6445313
What is the official name of this administrative geopolitical swath of land? There must be another relevant label.
For Nizhny Novogorod to Krasnoyarsk.

If Russia peoples don't see much if any foreigners until further notice, that is kind of a serious awkward situation. For the entire picture, reminds them of War, Sanctions, Visa Suspensions, Currency Exchange Bans, Stock Market Closures, Local Cash Funds Crashing, Enough People Losing Jobs, Fatal Bankruptcies, Even More Racist Xenophobia, False Ignorant Lies In Local Propaganda Versus Still Overly Biased Western News Media, Feeling Shame The Kremlin Did Something This Wrong, Encountering Worldwide Attitude In Virtually Absolutely Any Other Country, finally this republic's own potential collapse around ISOLATION.

Russia used to be one of the best Europe countries for me. Now, it just isn't because of the stupid pointless War. There was just so much to like that is just completely tossed aside. Have to support Ukraine.
Well, I picked the Far East and Baikal, because those are areas that were gaining popularity for tourism but also citizen exchanges, citizen collaboration on environmental issues and other topics. These are areas normally outside the typical tourism track, yet they have a lot to offer, and they had been "discovered", which was having a positive effect on the local economies. There was a groundswell of hope for better times, improved standard of living, and so forth. Then suddenly, seemingly for no reason, it began to shut down.

In Western Russia, not only Nizhnyi Novgorod but also Pskov, definitely. And I'd suggest going beyond Irkutsk to Ulan Ude, to experience Mongol culture, Buddhist temples, and a taste of cultural diversity of that sort, that you wouldn't otherwise see anywhere in Russia.

Also, there's a video on youtube of the train ride north from St. Pete's towards Archangelsk that passes through some beautiful scenery. (I love Russian trains!) On the other hand, if you like huge, bustling cities, you'd like Ekaterinburg, the gem capital of Russia. I prefer smaller cities, towns and villages, myself.

The opportunity to do that type of travel may be a very long way off, though, unfortunately for everyone.

Old 05-04-2022, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Well, I picked the Far East and Baikal, because those are areas that were gaining popularity for tourism but also citizen exchanges, citizen collaboration on environmental issues and other topics. These are areas normally outside the typical tourism track, yet they have a lot to offer, and they had been "discovered", which was having a positive effect on the local economies. There was a groundswell of hope for better times, improved standard of living, and so forth. Then suddenly, seemingly for no reason, it began to shut down.

In Western Russia, not only Nizhnyi Novgorod but also Pskov, definitely. And I'd suggest going beyond Irkutsk to Ulan Ude, to experience Mongol culture, Buddhist temples, and a taste of cultural diversity of that sort, that you wouldn't otherwise see anywhere in Russia.

Also, there's a video on youtube of the train ride north from St. Pete's towards Archangelsk that passes through some beautiful scenery. (I love Russian trains!) On the other hand, if you like huge, bustling cities, you'd like Ekaterinburg, the gem capital of Russia. I prefer smaller cities, towns and villages, myself.

The opportunity to do that type of travel may be a very long way off, though, unfortunately for everyone.
What about Dagestan such as Makhachkala right next to the Caspian Sea? Could have easily been the next Sochi coastal resort with the Black Sea. Believe Dagestan ought to belong with the country of Azerbaijan. A bit separatist already over there well before this year's War. Too late now to combine into Azerbaijan territory. Right?

There is also Kalmykia with Elistia other than Ulan Ude. And on the West side of Russia. Although, Ulan Ude might be moderately larger.

Some things on Russia is almost near Middle Eastern, close borderline Asia native culture highly depending on geographic coordinates Eurasian landmass exact location. Such as Muslim Majority Dagestan(83% of them!), or Vladivostok, Khabarovsk stone throw distance from China, Japan, Korea. Of course Russia still counts as very European. Another reason why messing with Ukraine was actually never an option.

Foreign tourists have to exercise great caution even like 3 years later in the year of 2025 or something. Worth the extra restraint to not get arrested accidentally. Getting quite easy in Russia. Going there around three years later for Russia, Belarus, Ukraine. Have to be extremely careful.

Might prefer Russia before Germany(Less expensive than the expensive Euros), so just very traumatized Russia is just starting to fail ethical wise with such a horrible act. Enough members of society over there have to be criminally prosecuted for War crimes. The Kremlin, Military are all going to regret it.

Old 05-04-2022, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ******* View Post
What about Dagestan such as Makhachkala right next to the Caspian Sea? Could have easily been the next Sochi coastal resort with the Black Sea. Believe Dagestan ought to belong with the country of Azerbaijan. A bit separatist already over there well before this year's War. Too late now to combine into Azerbaijan territory. Right?

There is also Kalmykia with Elistia other than Ulan Ude. And on the West side of Russia. Although, Ulan Ude might be moderately larger.

Some things on Russia is almost near Middle Eastern, close borderline Asia native culture highly depending on geographic coordinates Eurasian landmass exact location. Such as Muslim Majority Dagestan(83% of them!), or Vladivostok, Khabarovsk stone throw distance from China, Japan, Korea. Of course Russia still counts as very European. Another reason why messing with Ukraine was actually never an option.

Foreign tourists have to exercise great caution even like 3 years later in the year of 2025 or something. Worth the extra restraint to not get arrested accidentally. Getting quite easy in Russia. Going there around three years later for Russia, Belarus, Ukraine. Have to be extremely careful.

Might prefer Russia before Germany(Less expensive than the expensive Euros), so just very traumatized Russia is just starting to fail ethical wise with such a horrible act. Enough members of society over there have to be criminally prosecuted for War crimes. The Kremlin, Military are all going to regret it.
Yes, the Caucasus would be a fascinating area I think, due to the plethora of languages and cultures, not to mention the spectacular scenery! I can't keep track of who's fighting with whom and trying to separate from whom, down there. They've been fighting since time immemorial.

Kalmykia. OK, I guess its location is more convenient to tourism. It's always been run by a strongman favored by Moscow, whoever "Moscow" may be at any given time: Yeltsin or P. So they're been allowed more expressions of nationalism, much more Asian architecture. They've also been allowed to host the Dalai Lama multiple times, whereas Buryatia and Tuva have been denied the great privilege, repeatedly. And Kalmykia is on the Caspian, but it's no substitute for Baikal, the Sacred Sea of ALL the Mongols, including the Kalmyks.

Khabarovsk is nice. And there are tribal villages speaking Manchu languages, that have been reviving various aspects of their traditional culture along the lower Amur, and in the mountains outside of Vladivostok, as well.

Old 05-06-2022, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Yes, the Caucasus would be a fascinating area I think, due to the plethora of languages and cultures, not to mention the spectacular scenery! I can't keep track of who's fighting with whom and trying to separate from whom, down there. They've been fighting since time immemorial.

Kalmykia. OK, I guess its location is more convenient to tourism. It's always been run by a strongman favored by Moscow, whoever "Moscow" may be at any given time: Yeltsin or P. So they're been allowed more expressions of nationalism, much more Asian architecture. They've also been allowed to host the Dalai Lama multiple times, whereas Buryatia and Tuva have been denied the great privilege, repeatedly. And Kalmykia is on the Caspian, but it's no substitute for Baikal, the Sacred Sea of ALL the Mongols, including the Kalmyks.

Khabarovsk is nice. And there are tribal villages speaking Manchu languages, that have been reviving various aspects of their traditional culture along the lower Amur, and in the mountains outside of Vladivostok, as well.
The mainland Asian face look is already in Kazakhstan with the Slavic culture. How much of Russia are with these China look peoples? Wouldn't be surprised if around in Vladivostok, Khabarovsk, Ulan Ude, Irkutsk, Astrakhan, even Yekaterinburg. Are people just always White Slavic Russians immediately when crossing the borders from China, Japan, Korea, Mongolia, Kazakhstan into Russia?

Russia already had conflict before Ukraine in Chechnya, Dagestan, Kabardino-Balkarian exact lands of own country. Especially around 2005. Wow, and that was already a serious concern. Watch this be even worse deep into Russia territory. Eventually, at least. If the fatal occurrence escalates.

Reminds me of some Middle Eastern countries that appear rough, yet so much damn nice things about them. Russia is or was! one of my most favorite Europe countries. Can't wait until the reputation, situation, entire stability of Russia improves.

Old 05-08-2022, 11:47 AM

Deep down Russia is already a loser. Still not winning anything. If I was from Russia, I would be a bit worried as a Foreign tourist to pretty much absolutely any other country. Even Belarus, China. Random strangers have to heavily interrogate me with questioning just to see how against the War someone really is. For the ones not wanting to mess with Ukraine, just please leave them alone! Act civil, polite enough. Nice, and friendly. For the ones that are strangely Pro-War, treat them even worse than dirt! Extreme degree of separation. Only the right Russians remain for the final. The wrong ones completely getting punished after death, especially. Maybe even before.

Old 05-08-2022, 03:39 PM

5,643 posts, read 11,200,427 times
One of my greatest disappointments with the emergence of Russia as an aggressor nation against Ukraine is the new "iron curtain" that has divided Europe again. The new iron curtain is a further east than during the "first cold war". I was in the US Army stationed in Germany for most of the mid-1970s, a few kilometers from the inner German border between East and West. I also spent a year stationed in West Berlin, when it was like an island surrounded by the Berlin wall.

The new iron curtain is perhaps more of a barrier than the original one from the 1940s to late 1980s. This time, it seems like almost all trade will be cut, all cultural and sporting participation will be cut, and almost all travel or tourism across the new iron curtain will be cut. What a self-inflicted, foolish disaster this will turn into for Russia for the next several decades. They forgot that nobody really wins a war.

Old 05-09-2022, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
One of my greatest disappointments with the emergence of Russia as an aggressor nation against Ukraine is the new "iron curtain" that has divided Europe again. The new iron curtain is a further east than during the "first cold war". I was in the US Army stationed in Germany for most of the mid-1970s, a few kilometers from the inner German border between East and West. I also spent a year stationed in West Berlin, when it was like an island surrounded by the Berlin wall.

The new iron curtain is perhaps more of a barrier than the original one from the 1940s to late 1980s. This time, it seems like almost all trade will be cut, all cultural and sporting participation will be cut, and almost all travel or tourism across the new iron curtain will be cut. What a self-inflicted, foolish disaster this will turn into for Russia for the next several decades. They forgot that nobody really wins a war.
I'm just hoping it won't last. Hoping that something will happen on the Russian side, to bring it all to a resolution, or force a resolution.

The Iron Curtain was permeable, though E Germany was a special case. But Westerners, including Americans, travelled to the USSR even back before Gorby. A consortium of American universities ran a study-abroad program since 1971. With all the sanctions, the current version of the Curtain is pretty impermeable. Even Russia citizens living abroad have had to cancel plans to go home to visit family, because no flights are going in from where they live.

Last I checked, Russia is still giving out temporary visas to non-citizens, but the State Dept. is urging Americans not to go, due to risk of harassment and unpredictable actions. The US Embassy and consulate are not able to intervene on behalf of citizens, should they find themselves in trouble. I have no idea what the diplomatic service of W European countries and others (e.g. S Korea, which had regular flights into the Russ. Far East) are advising their citizens re: Russia travel.

Old 05-19-2022, 08:09 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,337,625 times
Museum in a small city/suburb of Ekatarinburg. Great collection.

We can only hope for a miraculous breakthrough of some sort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe