Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2022, 06:14 AM

14,808 posts, read 11,879,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Just FYI, there are a variety of Russians posting here: those who have lived in the US for years, or may even have been born here, and have what you could call a "western" perspective but with an insider's insight into Russia, those who live in the US or in emigration elsewhere in the West, but retain what could be called a Russ. government perspective, a couple who live in Russia and post their perspective from the mainstream news sources over there. Personally, I don't believe there are any of the type you suspect here.

Just because a few people disagree with your, or the prevailing, view on this forum regarding certain events, doesn't mean they're agents, trolls, etc.
To be honest with you I doubt there are any Russians in the US posting on here. And people born in the US to Russian forefathers are not Russian, just like people that call themselves Italian American or Irish American are not Italian or Irish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2022, 08:45 AM

16,233 posts, read 27,273,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post
We got to be fair in our analysis. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the Russia economy take off under Putin. An argument can be made that was due to rising energy prices and sales, but if he gets blame for the bad, you must credit him for the good. I get the praise of Gorbachev and Yeltsin. They were leaders that got along better with the West. I'm sure they had the people interest at heart, but it doesn't change the fact that the Soviet Union collapsed under Gorbachev and the economy was awful under Yeltsin. Just because the two maintained better relations with the West, didn't make them good leaders. An argument could be made if Yeltsin had been more forceful about NATO expansion in the 90s, we may not be in this predicament today.
More and more, with each of your posts, it is becoming abundantly clear that you are anti-West. As if the West is your enemy. I hope you don't actually live in this dreaded "West." That would really suck for you, having to live in the place you despise.

Old 09-02-2022, 09:08 AM

11,904 posts, read 8,990,771 times
Quote:
That's a LOT of money in a country where the average worker, university professor, Academy of Sciences scholar, school teacher, museum curator, etc. makes around $300/month, roughly. I wonder what presidents of Latin American countries make.
Maybe, but $100,000 doesn't allow you to buy $700M yachts - probably won't even pay the annual fuel bill... and he is reported to have magnificent "dachas", and of course there is "Putin's Palace". Whether he appropriates tax money from the people, or gets payments from the oligarchs that he made incredibly wealthy by handing them the state enterprises, who knows, but he is not living on his government salary.

Old 09-02-2022, 01:38 PM

5,787 posts, read 4,150,701 times
Quote:
What a personality! And the sad irony is, that few in Russia will miss him or ever appreciate him. He's blamed for bringing down the system and causing a decade of ruin.

Yes it is. It was he who in Malta in 1989 agreed to the withdrawal of troops from Eastern Europe and received nothing in return. Only verbal promises. He had to get guarantees that NATO would not come to the borders of Russia. As a result, we have a proxy war between Russia and NATO in Ukraine. Also, he, as the president of the USSR, allowed the signing of the Belovezhskaya agreements and destroyed the Union in the fastest and most dangerous way. Millions of lives are on his conscience and most Russians will not remember him with a good word.

Old 09-02-2022, 01:44 PM

102,063 posts, read 106,870,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
To be honest with you I doubt there are any Russians in the US posting on here. And people born in the US to Russian forefathers are not Russian, just like people that call themselves Italian American or Irish American are not Italian or Irish.
I know for a fact there are Russians living in the US who post on these threads, otherwise I wouldn't have stated there were.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 09-02-2022 at 01:53 PM..

Old 09-02-2022, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
To be honest with you I doubt there are any Russians in the US posting on here.
There are of course.

Old 09-02-2022, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Unofficially, he happens to own this $700,000,000 yacht as a toy

Have you seen Putin on a yacht? Or in a palace? He lives by other interests.

Old 09-02-2022, 01:56 PM

102,063 posts, read 106,870,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Yes it is. It was he who in Malta in 1989 agreed to the withdrawal of troops from Eastern Europe and received nothing in return. Only verbal promises. He had to get guarantees that NATO would not come to the borders of Russia. As a result, we have a proxy war between Russia and NATO in Ukraine. Also, he, as the president of the USSR, allowed the signing of the Belovezhskaya agreements and destroyed the Union in the fastest and most dangerous way. Millions of lives are on his conscience and most Russians will not remember him with a good word.
"Allowed" the signing of the accords? How would he have prevented that?

G was urged at various points to prevent some of the republics from going independent, but that really would have left him with blood on his hands. He wasn't that type of leader. He tried working with the leadership of those regions behind the scenes, but that didn't work out. And I think Yeltsin had a lot more to do with the way things turned out; it wasn't just Gorbachev. Yeltsin set Gorbachev up. He was very manipulative.

Old 09-02-2022, 02:41 PM

Quote:
"Allowed" the signing of the accords? How would he have prevented that?
I don't know. But he led the country for 6 years. And it all ended in disaster.

Quote:
G was urged at various points to prevent some of the republics from going independent, but that really would have left him with blood on his hands. He wasn't that type of leader. He tried working with the leadership of those regions behind the scenes, but that didn't work out. And I think Yeltsin had a lot more to do with the way things turned out; it wasn't just Gorbachev. Yeltsin set Gorbachev up. He was very manipulative.
According to the majority of Russians, Yeltsin is destined for a separate cauldron in hell.

Old 09-03-2022, 12:29 PM

14,808 posts, read 11,879,198 times
Quote:
I know for a fact there are Russians living in the US who post on these threads, otherwise I wouldn't have stated there were.
I seriously doubt it, like I said an American with Russian Grandparents isn't Russian. I doubt there are any Russians in Russia posting on here apart from the obvious 'bots'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe