Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2023, 11:44 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,230,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The article's statistics aren't helpful. They include the hyper-inflation of the "collapse" decade (1990-2000), which was a highly anomalous situation, and conflate it with the current situation. For a more accurate look at inflation in Russia, statistics charting out the last 10-20 years would provide a more accurate and useful look at what's been going on.
I would also argue that the current times mark an historical shift from a geopolitics and economic standpoint. Copying the Chinese model, Russia did bet on industrial renaissance instead of services and, so far, that bet has worked. Let's also remember that, similarly to China, Russia is one of the very few countries with an entire ecosystem of tech companies mimicking the US providing online services from search engines and geo-location to social media, e-commerce, ride-sharing, fintech services, etc...

Russia is planning to build 1000 airliners by 2030...even if 1/3 of that target is reached, it would be an impressive feat.

https://www.businessinsider.com/russ...-airbus-2022-9

They have de facto moved to a war mobilization economy not only in military hardware but across the spectrum. They desperately importing workers from central Asia.

Last edited by saturno_v; 05-24-2023 at 11:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2023, 12:00 PM

14,808 posts, read 11,874,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturino_v View Post
You keep repeating stuff from a parallel media world that does not exists in reality. The collective west is not the world. Read any opinion polls about Russia outside of the West and you will be surprised it actually score much higher than the US which is despised almost everywhere. Russia is doing just fine...and, by the way, the west keep buying Russian energy and natural resources....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Govern...%20and%20Spain.

I'm sure the North Koreans are very supportive but there again they're barely human. If Russia want's to align itself with what is effectively the closest thing on earth to the Borg (North Korea) then fine, its not an existence the population of the rest of the world wants! Fact is Putin has turned Russia into the pariah of the world. Its the Russians themselves that suffer, banned from travelling, banned from sporting events. I don't want to see Russians treated this way but it IS Putins fault! The blood of tens of thousands of people is on Putins hands, the Russian population are incarcerated thanks to Putin, the guy is dumping on his own people for no other reason than his vanity! Tell me what does Putin hope to achieve over the next two years? Another 100'000 deaths? And for what exactly?

Old 05-24-2023, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Govern...%20and%20Spain.

I'm sure the North Koreans are very supportive but there again they're barely human. If Russia want's to align itself with what is effectively the closest thing on earth to the Borg (North Korea) then fine, its not an existence the population of the rest of the world wants! Fact is Putin has turned Russia into the pariah of the world. Its the Russians themselves that suffer, banned from travelling, banned from sporting events. I don't want to see Russians treated this way but it IS Putins fault! The blood of tens of thousands of people is on Putins hands, the Russian population are incarcerated thanks to Putin, the guy is dumping on his own people for no other reason than his vanity! Tell me what does Putin hope to achieve over the next two years? Another 100'000 deaths? And for what exactly?

.......still somehow Putin has something like an over 70% approval rate, something a western leader would salivate after and the Russians actually never had it so good economically.

Enjoy the secretary general of the ANC (the South Africa ruling party) tearing up a new one on this BBC journalist. The face of the poor guy is priceless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0aP3171Gag

Yep, the world hates Russia LOL

I'll point you in the right direction...start by stopping reading mainstream western media....

Old 05-24-2023, 12:29 PM

14,808 posts, read 11,874,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
.......still somehow Putin has something like an over 70% approval rate, something a western leader would salivate after and the Russians actually never had it so good economically.

Enjoy the secretary general of the ANC (the South Africa ruling party) tearing up a new one on this BBC journalist. The face of the poor guy is priceless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0aP3171Gag

Yep, the world hates Russia LOL

I'll point you in the right direction...start by stopping reading mainstream western media....
No he doesn't! lol Anybody that disagrees with him gets arrested, poisoned or pushed off a tall building! No wonder Russians are scared to speak out! Its an horrendous society to live in! Of course Russia is a world pariah, who did you support in the World Cup Saturno? England I'm guessing.

That ANC guy is talking about history!! What has history got to do with now exaclty? The guy is talking about completely irrelevant stuff lol.I actually think Blair should be arrested for war crimes myself but perhaps you can tell me what Tony Blair has to do with the Russian invasion of Ukraine exactly??

Talking of the ANC they are one of the most corrupt political governments on the planet!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrup...n_South_Africa

South Africa is another 'hell hole' on the planet today, perhaps Russia and all the other corrupt, un-Democratic hell holes could have their own 'World Cup'? You could have the final in front of 70'000 uniform clad 'officials', maybe parade a missile or two at half time! The two teams to contest the final could be the two associations that give the biggest bribes? :-D

Last edited by easthome; 05-24-2023 at 12:38 PM..

Old 05-24-2023, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
No he doesn't! lol Anybody that disagrees with him gets arrested, poisoned or pushed off a tall building! No wonder Russians are scared to speak out! Its an horrendous society to live in! Of course Russia is a world pariah, who did you support in the World Cup Saturno? England I'm guessing.

That ANC guy is talking about history!! What has history got to do with now exaclty? The guy is talking about completely irrelevant stuff lol.I actually think Blair should be arrested for war crimes myself but perhaps you can tell me what Tony Blair has to do with the Russian invasion of Ukraine exactly??

Talking of the ANC they are one of the most corrupt political governments on the planet!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrup...n_South_Africa

South Africa is another 'hell hole' on the planet today, perhaps Russia and all the other corrupt, un-Democratic hell holes could have their own 'World Cup'? You could have the final in front of 70'000 uniform clad 'officials', maybe parade a missile or two at half time! The two teams to contest the final could be the two associations that give the biggest bribes? :-D
I got it...get off your rocker...

Old 05-24-2023, 02:45 PM

102,054 posts, read 106,836,948 times
Quote:
I got it...get off your rocker...
I've got to agree with easthome; you picked the wrong example re: support for Russia. There are better ones, like maybe India? Though I've read India is trying to remain neutral.

Here's one not on most people's radar: UAE. They're allies of the US, but at the same time, they've been helping Russia with its international banking problems, currency conversion, and so on. They're also tolerating the presence of exiled and sanctioned oligarchs. They're also great friends with Georgia. Politically, UAE is very interesting, and they're influential, because of their oil wealth. They're doing a remarkable job of juggling conflicting political ties, and succeeding in keeping all the juggling pins in the air at once.

Old 05-24-2023, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've got to agree with easthome; you picked the wrong example re: support for Russia. There are better ones, like maybe India? Though I've read India is trying to remain neutral.

Here's one not on most people's radar: UAE. They're allies of the US, but at the same time, they've been helping Russia with its international banking problems, currency conversion, and so on. They're also tolerating the presence of exiled and sanctioned oligarchs. They're also great friends with Georgia. Politically, UAE is very interesting, and they're influential, because of their oil wealth. They're doing a remarkable job of juggling conflicting political ties, and succeeding in keeping all the juggling pins in the air at once.

I did not pick the wrong example....South Africa is an important country in the BRICS (it is the "S" in the BRICS) and the most powerful economy of Africa with Nigeria. Africa is where most of the future growth will be.

Russia is not a pariah of the world once you get out of the West...and even within the west that it's just hot air since it still happily buys energy and natural resources from Russia.

This is a forum where we should supposedly discuss at deeper level of understanding not just parroting media propaganda.

Old 05-24-2023, 10:58 PM

2,118 posts, read 1,234,288 times
This is the 21st Century, yet the script dictates that all repeat after Simon.
Either the adjutant-chef is lazy or still living in the last Century.

To get from both sides of the coin, one has to flip it.
If need be, read from the various continents and in their own languages to get a fair notion.
Below are examples reported in the African media:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2joYFXXISk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IW8LpNi2Fo

Old 05-25-2023, 03:08 AM

Quote:
I did not pick the wrong example....South Africa is an important country in the BRICS (it is the "S" in the BRICS) and the most powerful economy of Africa with Nigeria. Africa is where most of the future growth will be.

Russia is not a pariah of the world once you get out of the West...and even within the west that it's just hot air since it still happily buys energy and natural resources from Russia.

This is a forum where we should supposedly discuss at deeper level of understanding not just parroting media propaganda.
South Africa made world headlines earlier this month, when they said they would arrest Putin if he attends the BRICS summit scheduled to be held there. That's one reason why SA was the wrong example to choose.
https://nypost.com/2023/05/02/vladim...-south-africa/

Here's a good article on support in Africa for Putin:
Quote:
For many African countries, the willingness to support Russia goes back to the Cold War when the Soviet Union provided military and economic assistance to liberation movements across the continent.
Quote:
Many African leaders share Putin’s opposition towards NATO. This resentment has been building for a decade since the overthrow of Libya’s President Muammar Gaddafi in 2012 which has since led to the destabilisation of Libya, North Africa and the Sahel.
The deterioration of security around the Sahel region over the last ten years has brought about a need for increased security, and Russia has been providing support to many African countries.
During this period countries such as Nigeria, Libya, Ethiopia and Mali have forged military alliances with the Kremlin.
https://www.voice-online.co.uk/opini...backing-putin/

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-25-2023 at 03:34 AM..

Old 05-25-2023, 03:21 AM

Here's an interesting article on Brazil's efforts to position itself as a neutral peace broker between Russia and Ukraine:
https://foreignpolicy.com/2023/05/02...-nonalignment/
Quote:
Brazilian President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva has vocally pressed for a truce and peaceful solution to the conflict; some frank statements by Lula have generated pushback in Washington. But Brazil remains the country best positioned to act as an honest broker to end the war in Ukraine—precisely because it has refused to take sides.

Lula got to work on his peace proposal quickly after his inauguration in January. During a February visit to Washington, Lula suggested to U.S. President Joe Biden that Brazil create a so-called “peace club”—a group of countries that would facilitate peace talks between Russia and Ukraine and that might include rising powers such as China, India, Indonesia, and Turkey.

In March, a 30-minute video call between Lula and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky showed that Brazil means business. Lula used the opportunity to convey to Zelensky the urgency of a negotiated solution to the war. Then, later that month, Lula’s chief advisor Celso Amorim traveled to Moscow, where—breaking all protocol—he was received by Russian President Vladimir Putin himself. [...]

The result of Amorim’s Putin meeting was uncertain at best, with Amorim acknowledging that neither side is ready to sit down for talks. Still, Amorim’s personal audience with Putin—and Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov’s recent trip to Brazil—indicate how seriously Moscow is taking proposals from the government in Brasília.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe