Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2023, 09:50 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,058,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's just shorthand, like "Russ" instead of "Russian". Doesn't have any bad meaning.
I've literally never seen "Russ" used as shorthand for "Russian". "Uke" actually was a term newspapers used to refer to Ukrainians a few decades back. Some saw it as dismissive/pejorative.
Quote:
I'll see if I can find one of those videos for you. This may take some time, so please be patient.
I'm not that invested in it, so take your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2023, 06:11 PM

5,787 posts, read 4,149,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Oh, good, I was beginning to be concerned about the "where have you been for eight years" crowd being under-represented on C-D. Let me guess, you saw the woman in the red sweater on Channel 1 news?
If you want to discuss it, then ok. I couldn't find the original video of the woman on YouTube, only her body.

https://youtu.be/xWzN_PoDNTo

Part of the original video is here from 0:20
https://www.ntv.ru/video/849340/

It was in 2014 and the West chose not to see it.

Quote:
Also, your video's title is false. No Patriot complexes have been destroyed in Russia's strikes, no matter how much Russia would like to convince itself otherwise. One was damaged and has already been repaired.
It needs to be repaired again.

Old 06-02-2023, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
If you want to discuss it, then ok. I couldn't find the original video of the woman on YouTube, only her body.
Of course I don't want to discuss it. I don't find discussing propaganda with its victims (linking to state-appropriated NTV is a pretty easy marker) to be a particularly useful way to spend my time. Moreover, there's nothing to discuss. I am not disputing the fact that the woman in this video is dead. But the number of people killed by these so-called "bombings" in any given year since Russia decided it was a good idea to meddle in the affairs of a sovereign nation was fewer than 10. How many has Russia killed in Ukraine just this past week alone?
Quote:
The West saw it just fine. Now, as someone ostensibly on the side that saw (or chose not to see) the images from Bucha and Mariupol and was happy to gobble down the BS about it either being staged or Ukrainians shooting at themselves, do you think you can point out the differences between the two sets of videos? Or is that "a different story" as so many of my ex-countrypeople like to say?
Quote:
It needs to be repaired again.
Says who? Solovyov? Skabeeva?

Ukraine is shooting down pretty much every single Russian missile these days. Would be pretty hard to do even if one of the Patriots was out of service.

Old 06-04-2023, 07:42 PM

102,055 posts, read 106,836,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov;
Quote:
The West saw it just fine.
It did? Where? When? Saw what, exactly?

Old 06-04-2023, 08:31 PM

13,958 posts, read 13,716,786 times
What happens if American visit for vacation how will the people react ?

Old 06-05-2023, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
What happens if American visit for vacation how will the people react ?
If an American visits Russia? Well, right now, the State Dept. warns that it's not safe to visit Russia, not because of anything random citizens might do, but because of what the authorities might do. They say, the US embassy and consulate cannon protect US citizens that might be arrested on flimsy charges.

But if your question is, how did people used to react before the current hostilities, there are lots of wonderful people in Russia. They react warmly, or with curiosity, to Americans who speak Russian. Or even to Americans who don't speak Russian.

My niece travelled by train from Moscow to Buryatia, then south through Mongolia to China. She stopped for 2 weeks in Irkutsk, to work as a volunteer on the Lake Baikal hiking trail project, which was accepting international as well as local volunteers. (This had been arranged in advance.) On the train, she met a middle-aged couple, that was amazed she was traveling alone. They took her under their wing. I don't know how communication took place, but they managed. The trains are a great place to meet people. People will display the characteristic Russian hospitality, and invite foreigners into their compartment to share a simple meal and chat over tea.

I used to enthusiastically recommend travel to Russia. But in the 90's and beyond, there were Americans all over Russia, for travel or for work. Alaska Airlines,when they had direct flights from West Coast cities to the Russian Far East, carried planeloads of American and Canadian oil field workers, fisheries managers, Canadian forestry people, a variety of businesspeople, and even a few college students who were enrolled in university over there. (Far cheaper than US universities.) Moscow, and to a lesser extent--St. Pete's, were full of Americans staffing offices of charitable foundations, non-profit organizations, study-abroad program coordinators, and churches. That began to change after the current Tsar assumed the throne.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 06-05-2023 at 11:02 AM..

Old 06-05-2023, 11:12 AM

Quote:
It did? Where? When? Saw what, exactly?
He linked to the (rather graphic) video of a woman being killed in the 2014 conflict. In Russian propaganda's eyes, that death basically justifies the atrocities of the past 15 months.

Old 06-05-2023, 01:09 PM

Quote:
He linked to the (rather graphic) video of a woman being killed in the 2014 conflict. In Russian propaganda's eyes, that death basically justifies the atrocities of the past 15 months.
How does he know what the West saw and didn't see? That's what I'm trying to clarify. Because as far as I know, the West had no idea anything of that nature was going on, which is part of the problem we've been having on these threads since the start of the war (or whatever one wants to call it): the Russian side is operating from a different base of information than the "Western" side. But now not only Maksim, but you are saying that "the West saw it just fine". Or was that sarcasm on your part?

Well, I wasn't following the situation very closely back then, so it's possible that if "the West" was aware of Ukrainian attacks on Russians in the Donbas, I missed it. But this information gap (if that's what it is) seems to be a lot broader than just me. I'd like to know what Maksim (and you) believe the West saw, and how/where they saw it.

My impression is, that back then, the West believed the entire issue to have been conjured up by Russia. If there were some images or information circulating to the contrary, the West probably wouldn't have drawn that conclusion.

But again....maybe I missed something, and if I did miss something the entire West was aware of, I'd like to know what it was.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 06-05-2023 at 01:21 PM..

Old 06-05-2023, 03:11 PM

Quote:
How does he know what the West saw and didn't see?
He doesn't.
Quote:
That's what I'm trying to clarify. Because as far as I know, the West had no idea anything of that nature was going on, which is part of the problem we've been having on these threads since the start of the war (or whatever one wants to call it): the Russian side is operating from a different base of information than the "Western" side. But now not only Maksim, but you are saying that "the West saw it just fine". Or was that sarcasm on your part?
It wasn't sarcasm. I haven't lived in Russia or Ukraine since 1996, but I was very much aware of what was happening in Ukraine in 2014. The assertion that the West was somehow shielded from this information is BS. If you were interested at all in foreign affairs, specifically in that part of the world, you couldn't miss it. It was a blatant land grab by Russia under pretenses just as false as ones under which it started the full-scale war in 2022. Yes, it was during the time of internal turmoil in Ukraine during which a few people died, but Russia, as it so often does, made a mountain out of a mole hill to suit its opportunistic agenda.
Quote:
My impression is, that back then, the West believed the entire issue to have been conjured up by Russia. If there were some images or information circulating to the contrary, the West probably wouldn't have drawn that conclusion.
The image of the dead woman would do (as well it should have) very little to sway the West one way or another. It was one death, paraded out as the reason behind everything that transpired in the following decade.

Old 06-05-2023, 03:39 PM

Quote:
He doesn't.
It wasn't sarcasm. I haven't lived in Russia or Ukraine since 1996, but I was very much aware of what was happening in Ukraine in 2014. The assertion that the West was somehow shielded from this information is BS. If you were interested at all in foreign affairs, specifically in that part of the world, you couldn't miss it. It was a blatant land grab by Russia under pretenses just as false as ones under which it started the full-scale war in 2022. Yes, it was during the time of internal turmoil in Ukraine during which a few people died, but Russia, as it so often does, made a mountain out of a mole hill to suit its opportunistic agenda.The image of the dead woman would do (as well it should have) very little to sway the West one way or another. It was one death, paraded out as the reason behind everything that transpired in the following decade.
I didn't miss the land grab, which as you point out, was too blatant to miss, and appeared to follow the same playbook as in Georgia 2008, Transnistria, and so on. Same old, same old. But I missed the dead woman image. Did that really make it into the Western media?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe