Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 06:09 AM

1,373 posts, read 2,958,999 times

Advertisements

My sister got a job that pays 13Euros an hour for 20 hours a week. She is a single mom of one. Her kid needs daycare. She asked me to post here and ask if she could live on that salary in that area?

How much is a one bedroom apartment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 07:06 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,126,285 times
A quick look at Immoscout24.de shows the cheapest 1 room and some 1 bedroom (2 room) apartments starting at about 300 Euro per month. Figure at least 400 with utillitys. Normaly 2x cold rent for deposit and many have 2.38 x cold rent for the real estate agent. You can look for appartments which are "Provisionfrei" to avoid the 2.38 but it will reduce your selection. 20 for Mobile phone. Cable 15-20.

1040 Euro before or after tax? Probably before so 850 after tax. Does not leave much for living. Will she recieve goverment assistance/ is she a resident?

I don´t know much about Halle maybe someone else here does. How old are the kids, Kindergarten will take them from 2 in someplaces and they go untill 6 when they start school but there may be a shortage of available places- does not cost too much.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
A quick look at Immoscout24.de shows the cheapest 1 room and some 1 bedroom (2 room) apartments starting at about 300 Euro per month. Figure at least 400 with utillitys. Normaly 2x cold rent for deposit and many have 2.38 x cold rent for the real estate agent. You can look for appartments which are "Provisionfrei" to avoid the 2.38 but it will reduce your selection. 20 for Mobile phone. Cable 15-20.

1040 Euro before or after tax? Probably before so 850 after tax. Does not leave much for living. Will she recieve goverment assistance/ is she a resident?

I don´t know much about Halle maybe someone else here does. How old are the kids, Kindergarten will take them from 2 in someplaces and they go untill 6 when they start school but there may be a shortage of available places- does not cost too much.

That is before tax. The job she got said its 20hours guaranteed but there is room for 30hours. She is calculating for 20hours. How much does one have to make to ask for government assistance? I figure she has to pay for healthcare too. How much is that monthly?

Old 04-17-2014, 11:18 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,449,474 times
Hold on, wait.

I vaguely remember your other posts. Aren't you American? How do you have a sister who landed a job in the EU? And a part time job at that? I would not move all the way to Germany just for a job that pays a mediocre hourly wage for only 20 hours a week. Or expect to have to ask for government assistance.

Tell us the rest of the story.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:09 PM

I saw your comment.

Why isn't the EU husband able to support your sister and her child? Where is he?

Since she's married to him why would the German government be expected to provide government assistance?

Old 04-18-2014, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post
I saw your comment.

Why isn't the EU husband able to support your sister and her child? Where is he?

Since she's married to him why would the German government be expected to provide government assistance?
He supports them. But their marriage is crumbling because she is becoming agitated at making around 300 bucks a month in Austria. So she figures the German government can chime in.

She is 38. I told her to learn German as it seems she can not make a decent living teaching English.

She says by the time her German is good enough to go to school she will be 40. She wants to be a nurse aesthaetic I dont know what you call it, the nurse that sedates you before surgery.

Is that too old in Europe? To get started as a nurse at 40?

Old 04-18-2014, 03:45 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,488,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post
I saw your comment.

So you are saying she should stay home? You are surprised she wants to work part time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
My sister got a job that pays 13Euros an hour for 20 hours a week. She is a single mom of one. Her kid needs daycare. She asked me to post here and ask if she could live on that salary in that area?

How much is a one bedroom apartment?
She should know that she would qualify for all kinds of government benefits.

Quote:
He supports them. But their marriage is crumbling because she is becoming agitated at making around 300 bucks a month in Austria. So she figures the German government can chime in.

She is 38. I told her to learn German as it seems she can not make a decent living teaching English.

She says by the time her German is good enough to go to school she will be 40. She wants to be a nurse aesthaetic I dont know what you call it, the nurse that sedates you before surgery.

Is that too old in Europe? To get started as a nurse at 40?
Austria?

That's called Nurse Anesthetist.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:55 AM

No. I'm not saying any of these things. He may very well be telling the truth.

But if you read enough of the forums you'll notice that Angry Millionaire has posted a number of highly suspect posts and threads that seemed either fabricated or that he's holding back most of the story. He seems to have a quite a few family members and/or acquaintances in peculiar circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
So you are saying she should stay home? You are surprised she wants to work part time?

Austria?

Old 04-18-2014, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post

Austria?

This! Is late 30s too late to get started or 40?

Thats what she says. People retire at 65. Whats the alternative? Making 300 a month till she is 65?

She feels if she were done at 44 she is cometing with 24year olds so no hope

Old 04-18-2014, 06:35 AM

24,590 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
This! Is late 30s too late to get started or 40?

Thats what she says. People retire at 65. Whats the alternative? Making 300 a month till she is 65?

She feels if she were done at 44 she is cometing with 24year olds so no hope
Harz IV here comes another one, nope two

Without fluent language skills and the requisite educational background she may be 40 by the time she gets there. BTW - German certification is not recognized in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe