Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 10:10 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,352,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Also, I wonder if Austria being a separate country has led it having noticeable cultural differences with southern Germany? Since southern Germany has been in the same country as the rest of Germany for almost 140 years (excluding the East German split) perhaps it led to some changes and more similarities with the rest of Germany. Also, South Tyrol looks like it's on the south side of the Alps but German speaking.
Phew. Hard question to answer. Especially since Austria isn't really what I'd call homogenous. Each of the nine states/provinces (= former crown lands of Austria-Hungary) is quite distinctive. Something a tourist that's not speaking German and who's unaware of our history probably wouldn't notice, though.

In terms of dialect and overall culture the states of Upper Austria and Salzburg are probably most similar to the southern parts of Bavaria (southern Ober- and Niederbayern). Traditional food and dresses are pretty much the same, although northern Upper Austria is a bit influenced by Czech culture especially when it comes to cuisine.
The dialects of Salzburg and Upper Austria are still so distinctive, though, that I can clearly differentiate them from a dialect from Bavaria proper.

(Northern) Tyrol has a strong sense of regional identity, which is expressed in many distinct features: their accent (which is hard to understand), cuisine and life-style. Many ancient traditions were preserved in the mountain valleys, for example "Perchtenläufe". An ancient pagan tradition. It's pretty similar to (if not the same as) South Tyrol, which broke away from Austria just after WW1. Classic mountain culture. A traditional dish of both North and South Tyrol is "Schlutzkrapfen". Basically ravioli with an Austrian twist

Vorarlberg, a tiny province in the very West of Austria is the only region in the country with an Alemannic population. This makes their accent barely understandable to the rest of the country. They don't really share any similarities with Bavaria, but are comparable to the south of Baden-Württhemberg, Liechtenstein and Switzerland.

The eastern states of Austria (Lower Austria, Vienna and Burgenland) are influenced by our other neighbors, most importantly the Czech regions of Bohemia/Moravia and Hungary.
The Burgenland is Austria's most Eastern province and joined the Republic only in 1921. Before that, the Burgenland was under Hungarian administration and called "Western Hungary". "Lederhosen" are not traditionally worn there, it resembles the Hungarian plains rather than anything else you might find in Austria and they tend to drink wine instead of beer. Well... They drink both, but wine is somewhat more popular in the east than in the west.
The Burgenland still has a sizable and influential Hungarian and Croatian minority living there. Two out of 12 ministers of the 2008-2013 government had a Burgenland Croatian background, street signs are usually bilingual. Traditional eastern Austrian cuisine includes several Hungarian classics like "Gulasch" (hung. Pörkölt), "Paprikahendl" (hung. Paprikás Csirke) or "Debreziner" (hung. debreceni kolbász).

The southern states of Styria and Carinthia both have sizable Slovenian speaking communities and are naturally influenced by Slovenia. Carinthia is also south of the Alps, so the weather tends to be a bit better there. Popular destination for an Austrian family vacation.
Italian cuisine had some impact on Carinthian dishes. Noodles are pretty much a common staple there (e.g. Kärtner Kasnudln.
Austrias most beloved sausage, the Käsekrainer, is originally from the former Carinthian region of Krain (slow. Kranjska), which is now part of Slowenia.

Yeah... hope I could shed light on some differences and similarities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 08:40 AM

169 posts, read 294,569 times
I lived in Southern Germany and Italy as well. They are not very similar but do have some things in common. Catholicism, most of the southern Germans like Italians are Catholic as opposed to protestant or lutheran in the North of Germany.

Southern Bavaria is home to Germany's Alpine region and therefore has scenery comparable to the northern part of Italy (although the mountains in Bavaria are a bit lower).

I do remember the temperature in south Germany soaring in the summer and I would say they overall get less sunlight hours than Italy however Bavaria again gets much more sun shine than lets say Central and Northern Germany. I was in Westfalen Germany (central region by Dortmund) at the beginning of last winter and omg I did not see the sun for 3 straight weeks!

Old 05-16-2014, 01:52 PM

3 posts, read 6,131 times
Southern Germans look nothing like Southern Europeans.

Italians for example, have nothing to do with Germanics.
More like Arabs.

Old 05-17-2014, 06:21 AM

603 posts, read 1,634,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JungeAdler View Post

More like Arabs.
I agree with a lot of you points.

Southern Germans would look more like French people though, who in turn will look like some Germans also.

Italians who will look like Arabs would be Maltese, Calabrese and then atleast some Sicilians.

Arabs are still Caucasian though.

Old 05-17-2014, 06:43 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,828,491 times
Southern Germany is mostly Catholic, that's one way they're more Southern European, is that not a cultural similarity? I'd say they're somewhat more dark-featured, but still more Germanic than Mediterranean of course.

Old 05-17-2014, 06:46 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,409,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JungeAdler View Post

More like Arabs.
That is the most ridiculous statement I have read. Obviously, you have never met an Arab or an Italian.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:16 AM

8,873 posts, read 8,465,696 times
No.Southern Germany is culturally similar to Germany.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:28 AM

603 posts, read 1,634,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
No.Southern Germany is culturally similar to Germany.
Yes Southern Germany is like Germany off course but some of it can also be like France.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:01 AM

8,873 posts, read 8,465,696 times
^I thought the bordering parts can be similar to France(and vice versa,Strasbourg not only feels German,but also sounds German,"bourg",lol),not necessarily southern.
Maybe it's more similar to Switzerland or Austria?

Old 05-17-2014, 08:10 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,352,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloxias View Post
Yes Southern Germany is like Germany off course but some of it can also be like France.

Like France???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe