Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 01:54 PM

607 posts, read 648,541 times

Advertisements

London isn't overrated as a place to visit, just overpriced. Granted you can eat and drink fairly cheap if you get off the beaten track, but the tourist attractions are a rip off. However that applies all over Britain to a large degree.

Amsterdam is my nomination: it's dirty, expensive, full of British riffraff and has only one must see (Anne Frank's house). If you want to ride on canal boats admiring old buildings, and drink nice beer without lager louts/druggies on the next table, go to Bruges.

I liked Barcelona and all Spanish cities I've seen, and don't think Paris is overrated, but I agree with the sentiments about Marseille. To put it bluntly, it looks and feels like a 3rd World city. Nice, Montpellier, Perpignan are all fine places, but Marseille is a blot on the southern French coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 03:40 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Strange, because I never heard anyone rave about Milan.
So true. My first thought after stepping out of the train station, was " wow, I'm in the Moscow of Italy ".
Other areas though were better….but never fell in love with the place.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:46 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Paris exceeded my expectation, which was already pretty high. I doubt I will ever visit a city I like more than Paris.

I was underwhelmed by Venice. It is like a zoo. Berlin was underwhelming too, even though I didn't expect it to be all that exciting.

London's architecture is generally boring and the city not so pretty, but I like the tube and the energy.
With Venice you have to go in late spring. Not as many tourists, but still busy. A few minutes walk and you're away from the crowd and it's just old men, nuns, a few cats and laundry blowing in the wind.

Old 06-08-2014, 04:37 PM

614 posts, read 3,211,010 times
Paris is the most overrated by far.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:33 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,790,599 times
What about Paris is overrated? I'd like to hear why the great sights aren't so great...not, 'but it was so dirty..etc.' Does dirt detract from the greatness of Notre Damme or the Louvre??

Old 06-09-2014, 08:41 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,870,120 times
Does dirt detract from the greatness of Notre Damme or the Louvre??

well my friend the dirt is not the only culprit ....with it come the odors ;;;; from bum feces to cold tobacco to car exhaust to ... simply grit. Look at the color of your shower water back at the hotel after a day strolling in The Dirt Capital of Western Europe, tell me, does it smell roses ?

Old 06-09-2014, 08:55 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,718,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
What about Paris is overrated? I'd like to hear why the great sights aren't so great...not, 'but it was so dirty..etc.' Does dirt detract from the greatness of Notre Damme or the Louvre??
Paris is not dirty by any stretch. The comments are probably made by some suburban American who are not used to live in highly dense cities.

I was actually not that impressed by Notre Dame or the Louvre. Paris is not really about the tourist attractions for me honestly. It is just a lively city with consistently beautiful architecture and landmarks. The city is full of exquisite things that your eyes get tired from looking at them. Plus, all the display at the local patisseries and boulangeries at each of the street corners just make it so inviting and full of life. I can walk in central Paris for a whole day without getting bored, even outside the tourist area. Can't say this about most other cities. London for example gets pretty dull outside certain districts.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:22 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,607,367 times
I could easily visit Paris and London 10 more times.

For me, Athens was easily the most overrated.

Rome would be a distant second. Rome had it's charm, but I found it to be a huge tourist trap. Everyone trying to get their hands in your pockets.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:32 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,574,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Paris is not dirty by any stretch. The comments are probably made by some suburban American who are not used to live in highly dense cities.

I was actually not that impressed by Notre Dame or the Louvre. Paris is not really about the tourist attractions for me honestly. It is just a lively city with consistently beautiful architecture and landmarks. The city is full of exquisite things that your eyes get tired from looking at them. Plus, all the display at the local patisseries and boulangeries at each of the street corners just make it so inviting and full of life. I can walk in central Paris for a whole day without getting bored, even outside the tourist area. Can't say this about most other cities. London for example gets pretty dull outside certain districts.
The London tourist areas are boring to me - you need to explore beyond Trafalgar Square or Piccadilly Circus to see the real, interesting London IMO. The city is almost polycentric - the West End and the City dominate the economy/leisure aspect, but since London is a city made up of former towns and villages, it has many thriving and interesting local centres. My favourites are Islington and Camden Town.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:09 PM

400 posts, read 422,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
I could easily visit Paris and London 10 more times.

For me, Athens was easily the most overrated.

Rome would be a distant second. Rome had it's charm, but I found it to be a huge tourist trap. Everyone trying to get their hands in your pockets.
Athens really was crap for me too. Chaotic ugly city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe