Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2014, 04:12 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,978,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwindsforever View Post
What is American Lifestyle? What fills the criteria? Who's the judge? I don't know. Do you?
These videos summarize up what many people idolize the American dream to be, even though they are commercials mostly tongue in cheek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOdbWJg_VlE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syRjyGxxba4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgiRYo2gDWk

Old 06-15-2014, 04:39 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwindsforever View Post
What is American Lifestyle? What fills the criteria? Who's the judge? I don't know. Do you?
This is what I've been wondering.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:41 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lamb View Post
What i dont understand is why so many Americans live in wooden houses when theres hurricanes all the time over there? And even if there werent, a wooden house just wouldnt appeal to me.
What? Seriously? The hurricanes are only in the south, mostly the southeast. In the last few years, one or two have reached a bit further north, on the east coast.

Then there's the rest of the country. No hurricanes.

Wooden houses are cheap and easy/quick to build.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:46 PM

217 posts, read 277,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What? Seriously? The hurricanes are only in the south, mostly the southeast. In the last few years, one or two have reached a bit further north, on the east coast.

We dont have any at all anywhere in the country, or in the rest of Europe and yet its all stone in here. So even if its just a part, i wonder why people in there would build wooden houses.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:48 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,935 times
Quote:

And easily available. People use what they have and wood is plentiful.

I live in Florida. Not a lot of stone or brick available here. My house is Concrete block,wood/stucco and is pretty sturdy

Had to come back and add that in earthquake prone areas wood sways and stays intact.

Last edited by JennyMominRI; 06-15-2014 at 04:58 PM..

Old 06-15-2014, 04:52 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
The areas of the United States that are susceptible to hurricanes are vast. Pretty much all the way from Corpus Christi Texas all the way up to New York City, that's over 3,000 miles of coastline and over 100 million people.
It is pretty rare for a hurricane to make it that far up the east coast. Something like Sandy happens only once in 50 years or so, and even then it's the houses near the coast that suffer the most damage.

I've been living in the Washington, D.C. area for more than 4 decades and have never seen a hurricane here, only tropical storms. You might get your electric power knocked out for a few days when the worst of those hit. It is annoying when that happens, but it happens maybe once every 10 years or so. The last time it happened here was in the Fall of 2002.

Old 06-15-2014, 05:46 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
Default No.

Hurricanes and tornadoes are natures evil twins. One forms on water and comes ashore. The other forms on land and goes out to sea, so to speak, as without a water source it dissipates. Both are powered by water, both can easily reach a speed of 200 miles per hour (EF5). These tornadoes are devastating at full strength. It is a rare building that stands after being hit full force by any monster storms. .

l live in the Midwestern US where drought, flood, sub-zero cold, desert temperatures, and tornado are rather common. Because there are so many thousands of acres in crop we think little of F0 and F1 that go thru a field and do little damage. It is the storms like the ones that hit NOLA, OKC, and Manhattan that generate all the media interest.

Quote:

Old 06-15-2014, 06:21 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,071,863 times
I have heard from European workers who come here for a week or a few months that they like the size of homes and the lots as well how affordable the consumer products are at store. They prefer to buy iPad in U.S. than in their country.

I'm not sure if they like the portion size at our restaurants as they're larger. Hehe

I don't think Europeans envy our work ethic of almost working 24 hours and limited vacation and national holidays.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:37 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
We dont have any at all anywhere in the country, or in the rest of Europe and yet its all stone in here. So even if its just a part, i wonder why people in there would build wooden houses.
Wood is a good building material. Why wouldn't people use it? I've noticed a lot European posters have dislike of wooden homes for some reason.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:48 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
People there would rather have wood collapse on them than stone if a strong hurricane hits their house... i live in a wood house and i honestly don't see the big deal. we have very extreme weather and our house is still standing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe