Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2014, 04:03 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post

This is what I'm talking about:
Could use so more trees or gardens. And with the houses so close together, it's a shame the back yardspace is lost to another road plus garages. I'm imagining if they were all removed and trees were there, would be much nicer.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:10 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
It's been my experience that in traditional suburban neighborhoods where houses are on large lots, there are no sidewalks and neighbors interact very little, if at all. Where are you going to walk? In the street? And the houses are set back so far with no front porches, people are rarely out in their front yards. They drive down their street, up the driveway, and into a garage.

My front porch is about 6 feet from the sidewalk. When we're on the front porch, neighbors walk by and we can easily converse. With houses close together, there are more neighbors and more interaction. If I'm bored, I walk the dog around the block which usually involves talking to neighbors. Many of whom are now like family to us. I personally just don't see the point of having a sea of grass around my home that isolates me and costs money to water and take care of.

This is what I'm talking about:
I honestly run into a lot of people when i go long boarding or walking, plenty of city parks and sidewalks with people out and about, a couple lakes to go fishing.

I find it kind of strange how people can't find social interaction in the suburbs, its really not that hard.

Quote:
As opposed to this:
Is this a joke or do you honestly think this is a traditional American suburb?

that looks like a rich rural community to me.

this looks more like an American suburb.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:12 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Denver is different than many U.S. cities in that it's purposely filling in the actual city to create walkable neighborhoods and more urban spaces.
Actually, Denver is late to get on that bandwagon. Portland was one of the first cities to do that, I think, and it started in the 1980's. Seattle followed suit around the early 90's, and there have been others. The purpose is to conserve farmland around the edges of the cities.

The problem with it is that as the population increases within the city limits, roads become congested. The city outgrows its traffic-carrying capacity. Portland addressed this by investing in light rail transit, but Seattle has not. I don't know what Denver's plans are.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:13 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,735,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Could use so more trees or gardens. And with the houses so close together, it's a shame the back yardspace is lost to another road plus garages. I'm imagining if they were all removed and trees were there, would be much nicer.
That's not that dissimilar to what many residences are like in Spain - the shops downstairs, pubs, people gathering there and everywhere. That neediness of having land right outside on a daily basis is not felt because it's replaced with the warmth and camaraderie of humanity, and wide open spaces were about 1/2 km away, max.

In the U.S. I have land I could look at behind and in front of the house, and an emptiness of people. I can't share my soul with a tree, and trees is what I'm stuck with. Unless I get in the car and drive to a commercial center, I generally won't see any people. Once in a while I see a neighbor and wave, that's all.

I need and love people!! I don't need land around me. I need human beings instead. I plan to retire in Spain.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I honestly run into a lot of people when i go long boarding or walking, plenty of city parks and sidewalks with people out and about, a couple lakes to go fishing.
Yup, people go jogging where I live. I go walking too. Alone. Unless I call up someone, and they drive over, and we go walking around my neighborhood. It's all incredibly lonely compared to what I experienced in Europe. Walking alone around a lonely neighborhood is not socialization. Going fishing somewhere does not make the sprawl disappear.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:21 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:

I find it kind of strange how people can't find social interaction in the suburbs, its really not that hard.
Generally there are few people walking in American suburbs. Mostly, I'd see a few people walking around for relaxation, empty mid-day. As for interaction, depends on your social style.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Yup, people go jogging where I live. I go walking too. Alone. Unless I call up someone, and they drive over, and we go walking around my neighborhood. It's all incredibly lonely compared to what I experienced in Europe. Walking alone around a lonely neighborhood is not socialization. Going fishing somewhere does not make the sprawl disappear.
I don't want sprawl to disappear?

The fishing pier is full of people fishing where you can socialize.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:25 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,733,717 times
All posts bar two in the last three pages written by American posters, but somehow us Europeans are obsessed with America?

Old 06-26-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
I don't want sprawl to disappear?
I know you don't. Lots of Americans like sprawl! It hasn't gone out of style in the U.S. Long ago Americans gave up the desire for socializing, neighborhood, and a network of humans they interacted with daily in exchange for lots of land all around a house, distant from everything. Ask Americans. They continue to want that.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I know you don't. Lots of Americans like sprawl! It hasn't gone out of style in the U.S. Long ago Americans gave up the desire for socializing, neighborhood, and a network of humans they interacted with daily in exchange for lots of land all around a house, distant from everything. Ask Americans. They continue to want that.
Lol no we didn't. just because there is land around my house doesnt mean i don't interact with anybody.

distant from everything? not really 5 minute drive to plenty of stores and restaurants.

Its okay, you said you aren't from here so i'm not really surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe