Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2014, 08:30 PM

12,972 posts, read 13,414,928 times

Advertisements

Anybody here have that experience?

Which terminal does American Airline utilize? What about customs procedures?

My son and his two boys, our grandsons (ages 4 & 11), will be making this trip next week from Dallas, Texas. They will be arriving on a Thursday morning after a non-stop overnight flight.

A friend will be picking them up, so ground transportation should not be an issue.

Son has traveled a bit (Jamaica, Hawaii), but never with the boys by air.

Any tips or info will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 04:35 AM

418 posts, read 561,324 times
sure whoever is picking them up can figure out the terminal easy, usually posted when you are going to arrivals.

Customs is a breeze, nothing to declare, you go through immigration, grab your bags you go through the area for "nothing to declare" and get to the arrivals area. Only issue is if there is a queue. US passport holders coming to France is easy.

He is travelling without their mother?

If so he needs a letter from her, best if a notary signs it, to say he is allowed to travel with them. A birth certificate could be useful as well.

if the boys have a different surname could be even more important to have all the proper paperwork in place.

May not be able to leave the USA without it, may have an issue in Paris or no issue at all.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinUSA View Post
sure whoever is picking them up can figure out the terminal easy, usually posted when you are going to arrivals.

Customs is a breeze, nothing to declare, you go through immigration, grab your bags you go through the area for "nothing to declare" and get to the arrivals area. Only issue is if there is a queue. US passport holders coming to France is easy.

He is travelling without their mother?

If so he needs a letter from her, best if a notary signs it, to say he is allowed to travel with them. A birth certificate could be useful as well.

if the boys have a different surname could be even more important to have all the proper paperwork in place.

May not be able to leave the USA without it, may have an issue in Paris or no issue at all.
Thank you for the info.

Their mother passed away last year at age 39 (breast cancer), so my son will be carrying a certified copy of her death certificate. All with the same surname.

A very good Brit friend of mine invited them over to his new (actually old) residence in a rural village south of Paris for a month's stay as a part of their healing process. They are all looking forward to their European adventure.

Old 07-12-2014, 03:54 AM

So sorry to hear!

Good to have the certificate on him, he may have to show it sadly. I know I got a letter from my husband just in case I need to travel last minute.

Hope they enjoy france and if you need anything else just shout

Old 07-12-2014, 05:54 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,171,835 times
Paris Charles De Gaulle Airport Guide - Paris CDG International airport hotels, airport car parking, car rental, flights, and more

Paris Charles de Gaulle airport guide- easy CDG

Maps - Aéroports de Paris

All the Best and remember to make sure all electronic devises such as mobile phones, ipads, laptops are fully charged and can be switched on by security staff.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:50 AM

Thanks for the info.

Do y'all think he would have any problems bringing in some gifts for my friend's children?

A couple of folding Buck knives for his twin 14 year old sons and silver pendant/chains for his three daughters?

Boxed up knives would be in his checked luggage of course. Total value would be around $250 or so.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:56 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,171,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Thanks for the info.

Do y'all think he would have any problems bringing in some gifts for my friend's children?

A couple of folding Buck knives for his twin 14 year old sons and silver pendant/chains for his three daughters?

Boxed up knives would be in his checked luggage of course. Total value would be around $250 or so.
I would be careful taking knives on planes, you best check with the Authorities and declare them. They will also need to go in the hold rather than being carried on person. It should also be noted that security is very tight at the moment after American Intelligence identified specific threats and the French police made a series of Anti-Terror arrests just last week.

As for the French have different laws regarding the carrying and use of knives to the US.

The Laws on Pocket Knives in France | eHow

Old 07-12-2014, 05:07 PM

if in the hold I think fine.

TSA can search bags and aren't always good at not stealing from them. Make sure they have travel insurance

Old 07-12-2014, 06:52 PM

They were going to be carried in a checked suitcase in the hold. However, I started reading the extensive strict knife laws in France (who would have imagined that? ) and decided the folding Buck knives would be too much of a hassle. Bought the boys two of these American made classics instead:

Leatherman Sidekick Multi-Tool SS

Don't expect they would try to tote those around when they return to the UK.

It's kind of amusing to me, as I recently gave my grandson a .22 rifle for his 11th birthday (his dad keeps it in a gun safe). That would probably land me in your Newgate dungeon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe