U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2014, 10:58 AM

14,873 posts, read 18,772,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchupuata View Post
I'm also in FL so other states might be different but when I first got to the US I had a really hard time driving because everything looks the same. I honestly couldn't tell where I was or how people found their way. Eventually I got the hang of it and of the grid system and now I can drive around with no problems at all, but yes, at least in FL roads all look the same wherever you go. Not a jab at the US, just an observation. It makes for an efficient system albeit boring.
Well yea they are all part of the Interstate highway system, of course they are all going to look the same.... From here all the way down to Oklahoma all of Interstate 35 basically looks the same (because it is one road) but once you hit Texas it becomes more wider, more efficient highway interchanges, just overall better.

Pretty amazing really
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwindsforever View Post
It's also possible to see a little bit of landscape through the windshield. I don't think the guy meant only how the interstates look.

Just my 2 European cents.
Florida was actually really nice to drive in, everything is so green, bright, a lot of spanish moss, better quality roads, fast paced traffic...

My worst driving experience was driving on I-74 in Illinois, just as flat as Florida but no pretty trees to look at, just 95 percent cornfields.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:13 PM

565 posts, read 619,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is why some people enjoy taking the back roads on weekend drives or vacations. They're so much more scenic! Efficiency isn't everything.
Indeed, I totally agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Florida is well-known as being one large parking lot. They pave over absolutely everything there.
I can see that, there's asphalt everywhere. I blame the unending strip malls and suburban sprawl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Florida was actually really nice to drive in, everything is so green, bright, a lot of spanish moss, better quality roads, fast paced traffic...
Where in Florida is this?

Quote:

My worst driving experience was driving on I-74 in Illinois, just as flat as Florida but no pretty trees to look at, just 95 percent cornfields.
There's a worst place to drive than Florida? Damn

Old 08-19-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Where in Florida is this?
I-4, Disney to Clearwater beach.

Quote:
There's a worst place to drive than Florida? Damn
Yup, Illinois and Indiana... roads straight as an arrow, all cornfields. i set the cruise to 90 if im ever going through that part of the country.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:26 PM

2,986 posts, read 3,528,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
Most depressing for charm anyone would tell you is a flight from Paris back to Atlanta and then switching from the more charming Air France carrier to connecting to a plain ole mediocre Delta flight with crowded ugly airport lines and mediocred American average-ism
Comparing Paris to Atlanta would be the equivalent of comparing NYC to Manchester.

For the record, there is no place that I am aware of that even remotely compares to the art deco feel that Manhattan practically radiates. However, if medieval architecture is your thing, you aren't really going to find that in an area of the world that was essentially unsettled until the early 1500's.

Quote:
Well yea they are all part of the Interstate highway system, of course they are all going to look the same.... From here all the way down to Oklahoma all of Interstate 35 basically looks the same (because it is one road) but once you hit Texas it becomes more wider, more efficient highway interchanges, just overall better.
If you think the American Interstate system is inefficient, try driving in Canada sometime.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:07 PM

54,272 posts, read 42,592,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwindsforever View Post
It's also possible to see a little bit of landscape through the windshield. I don't think the guy meant only how the interstates look.

Just my 2 European cents.
Well, the US is a huge place. I have no idea what area he was talking about but I can assure you there's plenty of diversity in the US when it comes to scenery.

My point though was that driving on most European major highways is also sort of boring. It's much more interesting to get off the major highways and travel on backroads - in both the US and Europe.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:13 PM

4,035 posts, read 4,130,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
LOL. You obviously haven't partied in Berlin.
I've heard Berlin is a happening place. No, I was talking about the Germanic cultures around the periphery of Germany; Scandinavia, Switzerland, I'm not sure about Holland. I don't know if life in the former East Germany has loosened up much, yet. And people who can only loosen up when they're partying pretty much make my point. They can't cut loose when they're sober, it's only when they're under the influence that they can relax and have fun. That's pretty weird.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:54 PM

16,068 posts, read 37,962,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My point though was that driving on most European major highways is also sort of boring. It's much more interesting to get off the major highways and travel on backroads - in both the US and Europe.
In Europe, I think the OP pretty much ONLY went to tourist small towns, if he went to any small towns at all.

There are plenty of just normal regular towns throughout Europe where not much of anything interesting is happening.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:49 PM

4,557 posts, read 5,454,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
I've heard Berlin is a happening place. No, I was talking about the Germanic cultures around the periphery of Germany; Scandinavia, Switzerland, I'm not sure about Holland. I don't know if life in the former East Germany has loosened up much, yet. And people who can only loosen up when they're partying pretty much make my point. They can't cut loose when they're sober, it's only when they're under the influence that they can relax and have fun. That's pretty weird.
Have you ever been to Scandinavia? I somehow doubt it.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:29 AM

15,941 posts, read 1,302,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
You "don't know" but you judge. Speaking for yourself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe