U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 07:12 AM
Status: "Tell your loved ones you love them." (set 4 days ago)

54,459 posts, read 42,626,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
These are the parks that few Americans actually visit. It's international tourists that really visit these places and so it goes there's places within the US that are magnets for international tourism and nobody actually calls these places home. Also the architectural cities of NYC and Chicago are also surviving on foreign tourism and foreign investments and have little to do with any American influence these days. Some but not consider almost 50% of NYC residents were foreign-born.

The real America is watching TV, listening to Top 40, going to Target and McDonald's and subway and barely ever leaving the backyard. And believing that the earth was created in 7 days and that this same creator had a son who wants us to love our enemy so much that we send troops all around the world with guns and tanks
I'm sorry, but this is a ridiculous post. Can you back up any of these assertions with actual, factual sources? Other than "off the top of your head" or from even worse bodily orifices?

Just an example - in NYC, domestic tourists outnumber foreign tourists 4 to 1.
Tourism in New York City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 07:15 AM

824 posts, read 1,113,016 times
Quote:
These are the parks that few Americans actually visit. It's international tourists that really visit these places and so it goes there's places within the US that are magnets for international tourism and nobody actually calls these places home. Also the architectural cities of NYC and Chicago are also surviving on foreign tourism and foreign investments and have little to do with any American influence these days. Some but not consider almost 50% of NYC residents were foreign-born.

The real America is watching TV, listening to Top 40, going to Target and McDonald's and subway and barely ever leaving the backyard. And believing that the earth was created in 7 days and that this same creator had a son who wants us to love our enemy so much that we send troops all around the world with guns and tanks
You could have answered the questions as to what you mean by your opening post instead of ranting.
What you seem to miss is that both in Euroipe and the US, tourists visit a lot of spots that are famous and locals don't. Europe is not that different from the US in that sense.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:30 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,770,333 times
I find the difference with US landmarks and Europe's comes down to everyday lifestyle

Europe equivalent is you live art and culture and architecture you base your conversations and wrap your soul around these things

Where as US you can point to sites in the US most definitely, but for MOST Americans daily life is not interacting with these places and things. Instead it's like something you visit on a vacation and then say oooohhhh ahhhhh and then back to your plain suburban bubble.

For Europeans the architecture awareness goes deeper than a tourist exhibit. I will say that the surroundings of some of the more artsy cities in the US are the exception to what I'm saying. But out in the middle of a North Carolina town midway between Raleigh and Charlotte North Carolina

A town in Alabama

A suburb in Ohio

You just don't see much in art and architecture you just don't

Old 08-18-2014, 07:42 AM

16,079 posts, read 37,996,354 times
Quote:

I think your reflection of Americans is a mirror, of yourself, and the kind of people you are around. Maybe that's the type of people that live in Atlanta suburbs as well. They aren't the 'typical' American, but they are a type of American that exists.

But, the REAL American is a VASTLY VARIED place with all kinds of people.

Years ago, I used to work in the Grand Canyon and Yellowstone. That's true there are tour groups from all over the world - Australia, Germany, Japan, etc. Partially because if you come from a continent away, it makes sense to see those things. That being said, there are also a ton of Americans hiking in them, living and working in them (like myself previously), and on and on.

NYC & Chicago aren't 'surviving on foreign tourism, etc.' They are economic engines, spurring money all around the world. They are major players, not minor pawns.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
I find the difference with US landmarks and Europe's comes down to everyday lifestyle

Europe equivalent is you live art and culture and architecture you base your conversations and wrap your soul around these things
And allow me to ask where do you get this nonsens from? I am European, highly educated, and I never discuss art, culture and architecture. Very few people, and I mean VERY FEW people base their conversations on it and wrap their soul around it.

Quote:
Where as US you can point to sites in the US most definitely, but for MOST Americans daily life is not interacting with these places and things. Instead it's like something you visit on a vacation
That is exactly the same for Europe.

Quote:
For Europeans the architecture awareness goes deeper than a tourist exhibit. I will say that the surroundings of some of the more artsy cities in the US are the exception to what I'm saying. But out in the middle of a North Carolina town midway between Raleigh and Charlotte North Carolina

A town in Alabama

A suburb in Ohio

Let me tell you something, neither do you see that in Europe. And as far as you see it, you barely notice it.

Humans are the same the world over. When you live among something unique you barely notice it and appreciate it. It takes someone for who it is an exception to notice it.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyAndRugby View Post
And allow me to ask where do you get this nonsens from? I am European, highly educated, and I never discuss art, culture and architecture. Very few people, and I mean VERY FEW people base their conversations on it and wrap their soul around it.

That is exactly the same for Europe.

Let me tell you something, neither do you see that in Europe. And as far as you see it, you barely notice it.

Humans are the same the world over. When you live among something unique you barely notice it and appreciate it. It takes someone for who it is an exception to notice it.
Not quite true because I have lived in a part of the US with more organic produce and crafty shops and it did change my everyday lifestyle. I do notice street culture is more enriched in the New Jersey townships north and west of NYC for example, and I notice culture revivals in the outer Boston area of Cambridge, Tuffs, Salem.

And there's definitely artisticness to some California beach towns

These are the same people but their lifestyles aren't same as those in ordinary places. In Europe there is no ordinary place dull because of the access to euro rail and closeness between cities and historic sites. People in Europe are by definition more nurtured by culture and art because the people are 1) better educated, 2) have more access within the utility of public resources, and 3) are living on layers of history for thousands of years

In Europe when you think history you can see the ruins in ancient Athens and Rome and the baths and the chateaus in France and the castles in Germany

In US when people think ancient history it leads to a conversation about the Christian bible that turns into a conversation about the apocalypse and that we are all doomed and the prophecy of a second coming and Armageddon and that Obama is the antichrist and that the world is ending and sinners will eternally suffer and all this

Old 08-18-2014, 08:16 AM

@EricS39, I am getting more and more confused as to what your point is. Both the point of this thread as well as the point of all of your comments in this thread. You seem to ramble about diferent things and constantly seem to jump from one thing to the next.

Quote:
These are the same people but their lifestyles aren't same as those in ordinary places. In Europe there is no ordinary place dull because of the access to euro rail and closeness between cities and historic sites. People in Europe are by definition more nurtured by culture and art because the people are 1) better educated, 2) have more access within the utility of public resources, and 3) are living on layers of history for thousands of years
A lot of claims, but zero proof. What is even more puzzling is that when a person living in Europe, me, contradicts you, you still claim what you claimed before but prove nothing.
In Holland people are not better educated than people in de US. For the most, we are about equally well educated. In the US you are also living on thousands of years of history, being native American history. The difference is that they left little in terms of large buildings.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:17 AM

16,079 posts, read 37,996,354 times
Quote:
In US when people think ancient history it leads to a conversation about the Christian bible that turns into a conversation about the apocalypse and that we are all doomed and the prophecy of a second coming and Armageddon and that Obama is the antichrist and that the world is ending and sinners will eternally suffer and all this
Could you stop using the words 'in the US', when you are actually describing your Atlanta suburbs.

I've never experienced any of that in the cities I lived - Detroit, New York, San Francisco, Portland, Minneapolis, etc.

The U.S. is way more than just the 5 squared kilometers around your house.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 08-18-2014 at 08:42 AM..

Old 08-18-2014, 08:33 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,726,652 times
Quote:
A town in Alabama

A suburb in Ohio

You are being very unreasonable. Many European cities were established in the 6th Century. The United States was discovered in 1492. What do you expect? Medieval castles in Montgomery, Alabama?

Old 08-18-2014, 08:55 AM

My point is that there is some ingredient that is missing from US.

Facts to support it can be found in where you find the best chocolate, the best food, the quality of life index, Olympic skills, heaithcare, human happiness level, access to recreational activity per capita, etc...these are the facts and you can find plenty of online links on a google search to support what I'm saying

All higher in Western Europe. I want to point it out so we can make America better so that is my point.

I want America to make
healthier tasty foods,
better public transportation,
more creative construction projects
have an atom-smasher like the Swiss have,
create from scratch the high/speed trains the Chinese have that the Germans engineered,
have better universal healthcare system,
have more tolerance to modern art and paint buildings different colors like the Danes and Norwegians do,
have more town commons for the Greek style theatre and free speech corners for all, more genres to be enjoyed thsn plain ole top 40,
Have GM and ford do what the Germans do with their mega indoor automobile factories
Have the folksy places like you have on the Danube River
Have more choices of political party like the Dutch have
And last but not least.....a USA more like Europe where spirituality and evangelism are not interchangeable words ...25% of US science teachers believe dinosaurs roamed the world alongside human species

America can do better and if we can't do this then I feel the US is not truly where I want it to be . It's not like America is enriched to the point we steer our nation...instead it's like a monarchy that colludes with corporations that dumb us down to see the same things over and over again and then people just point to what they see and this is how the real voting democratic system works and I don't like it

Personal theory is the lack of US meeting the criteria listed above is due to limited inspiration in our suburban lifestyle that I beg to differ with the other European poster, are prevalent in European towns and not in most US suburbs because of too much corporate beaurocratic power that has made it impossible for individual free speech to stand a chance

Last edited by EricS39; 08-18-2014 at 09:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe