U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 12:10 PM

5,473 posts, read 10,035,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post

And believing that the earth was created in 7 days and that this same creator had a son who wants us to love our enemy so much that we send troops all around the world with guns and tanks
America has raped and purged their way through the last 200 years.

Let's not forget the Buffalos who were slaughtered and left on the prairies to rot, along with a few natives.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 12:58 PM

16,017 posts, read 1,313,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwindsforever View Post
America has raped and purged their way through the last 200 years.

Let's not forget the Buffalos who were slaughtered and left on the prairies to rot, along with a few natives.
You forgot the German Prisoner of War camps in Alabama.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:08 PM

565 posts, read 619,516 times
It all comes down to personal preference, some people like certain aspects of certain European countries better, others prefer certain aspects of the US, nothing wrong with either. Ideally you'd be where you can feel happier.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:09 PM

4,035 posts, read 4,131,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
My point is that there is some ingredient that is missing from US.

Facts to support it can be found in where you find the best chocolate, the best food, the quality of life index, Olympic skills, heaithcare, human happiness level, access to recreational activity per capita, etc...these are the facts and you can find plenty of online links on a google search to support what I'm saying

All higher in Western Europe. I want to point it out so we can make America better so that is my point.

I want America to make
healthier tasty foods,
better public transportation,
more creative construction projects
have an atom-smasher like the Swiss have,
create from scratch the high/speed trains the Chinese have that the Germans engineered,
have better universal healthcare system,
have more tolerance to modern art and paint buildings different colors like the Danes and Norwegians do,
have more town commons for the Greek style theatre and free speech corners for all, more genres to be enjoyed thsn plain ole top 40,
Have GM and ford do what the Germans do with their mega indoor automobile factories
Have the folksy places like you have on the Danube River
Have more choices of political party like the Dutch have
And last but not least.....a USA more like Europe where spirituality and evangelism are not interchangeable words ...25% of US science teachers believe dinosaurs roamed the world alongside human species

America can do better and if we can't do this then I feel the US is not truly where I want it to be . It's not like America is enriched to the point we steer our nation...instead it's like a monarchy that colludes with corporations that dumb us down to see the same things over and over again and then people just point to what they see and this is how the real voting democratic system works and I don't like it

Personal theory is the lack of US meeting the criteria listed above is due to limited inspiration in our suburban lifestyle that I beg to differ with the other European poster, are prevalent in European towns and not in most US suburbs because of too much corporate beaurocratic power that has made it impossible for individual free speech to stand a chance
Kid, we can tell you're upset and probably bored, so you've conjured up a dream world for yourself. You need a change. Head out West, where people think and live differently. You might like Colorado, very friendly and environmentally-minded (Boulder, Carbondale, Durango, even Denver). Or Berkeley, CA, which invented the farm-to-table food movement for restaurants and had a radical Free Speech Movement in the 60's, and has had a radical City Council ever since. Hell, you might run for public office there, someday. (They don't allow chain stores or chain restaurants there, nor sometimes even gas station brands that are connected to Big Oil.)

The US is a big place with a lot of unique subcultures. Check it out. You owe it to yourself. Do you have a marketable profession? If not, you better work on that. And if you want to go to Europe, the suggestion to learn a couple of languages was a good one. Otherwise you're only as ignorant as the people you're dissing so strongly.

And btw, I'm curious--why do you need an atom smasher?

Old 08-18-2014, 01:15 PM

23,860 posts, read 29,920,794 times
I've worked in tourism in my life and also have travelled around the world and had many people from other countries visit me as well.

One thing I have found when it comes to Europeans visiting the U.S. and Canada is that the Europeans for some reason have become quite a bit less complimentary about our continent over time. Of course, they are usually pleased with their trip and all but they aren't as gushing in their praise as I remember them being before. Especially when it comes to the urban areas. (Natural features are a whole other story.)

I don't know why that is: is it because they have grown more finicky or is it because at some point we lost our way when it comes to city-building, and are only slowly getting things back on the rails now?

Back in the day (and even moreso before I was born) it seems like cities and towns on this continent had a lot more charm in their downtowns. There are still many places with that charm, but their number has declined greatly and today it's not necessarily any average town you stumble upon that has an attractive main street. They are more like diamonds in the rough. Even a whole bunch of fairly large cities don't really have attractive and vibrant urban centres.

And I don't think it's about Europeans expecting everywhere to look like Europe. I think that a living, breathing Smallville USA, though different from Europe, has a charm all its own that visitors from overseas or anywhere else can appreciate. But I think the number of these has declined considerably and many that still survive have also become fragilized.

Of course, sprawl has existed since the invention of the automobile. It was pretty strong already in the 50s and 60s even. But I think that in many metro areas the tipping point was breached long ago and things are so tilted towards sprawl and auto-dependance that anything resembling charming urban or town centres is virtually impossible to maintain.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:17 PM

565 posts, read 619,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Do people surf in Europe? Cowabunga!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. California's in my blood. So shoot me.
Portugal and southwest France have excellent surfing beaches.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:51 PM

18,318 posts, read 15,378,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Yeah, 1950s drive-in theaters, fast-food restaurants, etc. That all occurred in the 1950s.

Cars were created earlier, but 'car culture' came along with the suburbs, when it became absolutely essential to get from A to B for many people, and it could only be done with a car.

I'm not personally saying something 'went wrong' in the 1950s, I'm just saying that's when car culture and suburbs made these 'all-the-same suburbs' that have more similarities than differences across the nation.

I should also add that with the suburbs, came zoning, and then 'franchices' which created the corporate chains that later killed off many mom-n-pop stores.
And yet still the 50ies and the 60ies had some inspirational vibe to it and America was coming across as an interesting place; different from Europe, obviously, yet inspirational in its own right.
Let me tell you some strange thing; for example for the reason discussed in this thread, I am not interested in American males.
I mean people ( and men in this respect) are reflection of their history and culture, and since I find American culture to be bland, I find men to be bland. I mean I watch the movies ( here and there) I look at the pop culture and for long- long time already, and it looks to me very uninspiring. ( Including all men in that culture as I've already mentioned.)
However if I "go back in time," - say like to the beginning to the mid of the previous century, I find American culture to be on par with Europeans - I mean still different, yet again interesting in its own right.
And same goes to American men.
So what the heck happened down the line?

Old 08-18-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Have you been there or is this a Googleism?
No, it's my own personal thoughts/observations.
Am I allowed to have them, since they are different from yours?
Thanks in advance for you kindly allowing me to have them.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
You are so clueless. I live a few hours from Chicago. I have been going there for the last 6 years and every time I go there, I find some amazing architectural wonder I did not know anything about. I could say the same about New York City.

As far as scenery, the United States has at least 20 different types of landscape that simply do not exist in Europe.

Just off the top of my head: Grand Canyon, Yellowstone NP, Death Valley National Park, White Sands National Monument, Monument Valley which is my opinion one of the most amazing places I have ever visited.

Saguaro National Park in Arizona..I could go on and on...Joshua Tree National Park in California. Have you ever seen a Joshua Tree anywhere in Europe?

Those parks\ some other places in the US are gor-ge-ous, breath-taking as far as scenery goes; ditto for oceans on both sides.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:08 PM

14,873 posts, read 18,776,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
You forgot the German Prisoner of War camps in Alabama.
Better than Nazi concentration camps..

Not like it matters, considering most of us here are probably 20 somethings who were lucky enough not to experience the dark past of our planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe