Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 12:40 AM

1 posts, read 8,707 times

Advertisements

THey always seem to be fond about races, pigmentation and other kind of stuff that Europeans couldn't care less about.

Its often popular attitude among the Aussies, Americans and even some Canadians.

Why do the new-world english diaspora became so obsessed and stuck up about race? I do not want to generalize but you can check several boards in internet and its always the same few nationalities asking about who is whiter, blonders, if italians are related to arabs? etc.

Would love to hear a reasonable answer about tha topic.

Thanks.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:45 AM

4,038 posts, read 4,860,904 times
Internet forums attract fanatics and fringe elements.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:54 AM

251 posts, read 396,152 times
Because White Americans, Australians and Canadians are ethically Europeans. They are probably interested in learning more about the countries their ancestors came from and the people living there.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:06 AM

251 posts, read 396,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeonardoLicaprio View Post
Why French Canadians dont do the same questions? Why are always the english speaking media obsessed with race, and particularly with Europe or the UK?

YEs they could ask truly cultural things, not who has a shade of skin or hair lighter than the rest, such obsession is useless and pointless.

Plus a large amount of white americans have non-european blood. I can tell americans from miles apart from real europeans, they seem to me like two completly different breeds.
Because Americans are mixture of all Europeans(nordics, Slavs, Mediterranean...etc). That's why they look different.

Old 10-12-2014, 04:21 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,060,487 times
There is nowhere in the world that has people so diverse in skin and hair colours than in Europe. Especially a region like the British Isles which is very varied. People can start off young as blond turn to fair then light brown as they age. Also a fair/light brown person can turn blondish in summer months. Parts of my hair turns reddish at the back in summer months then disappears in winter.

The res of the world in origin is dark eyes and dark hair.

Old 10-12-2014, 05:12 AM

76 posts, read 97,667 times
The problem is that in the New World there are people raised in a very racist environment unsure of their "racial baggage". They are probably "halfbreed", or have traits of some Indian or Black ancestor that appeared after generations. Because of their environment, they are treated in a violent manner by their peers, abused and despised. That's why they turn rabid racists, just to overcompensate their "unorthodox" looks. Such a behaviour is present in all the Americas.

As you stated, in Europe such things never happen, there are no "step backs" but very large variations in the same families. The only case I know was that of a man in a provincial city of France, he married a local woman and she sired a "mulatto" kid...there was a big fuss, the man divorced her..until they found out that the woman's great-grandfather had been in the Martinique and married a mulatta women.

There's a good book about this subject, "King's blood".

Old 10-12-2014, 05:15 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,838,320 times
Inferiority complex left over by European colonization

Britain, Spain, France and other European colonial power imposed themselves onto the locals they colonized as "superior" more evolved, the ones on top.... Though that happened centuries ago, a lot of that complex is still present in those lands and it will take a while for them to evolve out of that!

As a result you find a lot of people in those three countries dwelling on how 300 years ago their granny came from Ireland (eventhough their granny was probably a starving illiterate peasant forced onto a ship en route to the new world by the local authorities in order to get rid of her)

I remember reading about how authorities in Britain would patrol the streets and detain beggars, prostitutes, the illiterate, the weak and poor and ship them onto their colonies in Canada, Australia, US

This is why forums that talk about Europe are often infested with Canadians, Americans and Australians talking about blonde hair, skin color, whiteness, who is more pure race than who and so on!!! Or trying to associate themselves to Europe with threads like "which europeans look/dress more like americans" "or which canadian city is the most European" or "which country is closer to Europe Australia or NZ?"

Another thing that is taboo for them, it's the fact that eventhough most of them might look white, they actually might have some indigenous origin mixed in them... I remember reading about a genetics professor who in his class in Florida was showing students how to test DNA and found that 30% of the white students in his class had close African-American relatives and something like 60% had native Indigenous american roots!!! Australia and Canada are no different!

Old 10-12-2014, 05:17 AM

3,400 posts, read 3,204,523 times
Quote:
Why French Canadians dont do the same questions? Why are always the english speaking media obsessed with race, and particularly with Europe or the UK?

YEs they could ask truly cultural things, not who has a shade of skin or hair lighter than the rest, such obsession is useless and pointless.

Plus a large amount of white americans have non-european blood. I can tell americans from miles apart from real europeans, they seem to me like two completly different breeds.
Because the French aren't British thats why.

Old 10-12-2014, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Then they should look like hungarian people and they dont.

Americans are more British/IRish than anything else I think. But still they look different due to diet, climate and historical facts. Also do not underlook the admixture in colonial times.
I hope I don't come across as really offensive but I can often spot an American because their skin colour is a little more brown and a bit more plastic looking.

Most of them look like us though, I have seen some who I actually thought were from England.

Old 10-12-2014, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
There is nowhere in the world that has people so diverse in skin and hair colours than in Europe. Especially a region like the British Isles which is very varied. People can start off young as blond turn to fair then light brown as they age. Also a fair/light brown person can turn blondish in summer months. Parts of my hair turns reddish at the back in summer months then disappears in winter.

The res of the world in origin is dark eyes and dark hair.
Yes we do have a good diversity of hair colour but I have to say that most people have light brown hair and blue eyes. Also skin colours would be the same at light white except in the south of england which is an anomaly for everything in the British Isles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe