U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 08:28 PM

6,448 posts, read 12,080,254 times

Advertisements

Everyone loves Prague, people say in a unanimous decision, especially when they really get to know Prague Czech Republic, and visit in travel. Prague is without a doubt an emerging tourism destination.

How about all remaining areas in rest of Czech Republic? I know there is tons of other worthwhile cities, towns, and areas worth visiting. Czech Republic is much more than Prague metropolitan region.

Liberec, Ceske Budejovice, Brno, Ostrava, Olomouc, and Plzen are probably all charming, unique cities towns in country of Czech Republic. Rural areas include Conifer Evergreen Forests, and Castles.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 08:35 PM

16,183 posts, read 39,306,864 times
I'm quite curious myself, I made it to Prague, and loved it.

It sounds like Olomouc, Brno, and Plzen might be interesting. Makes me want to get back to Czech Republic and try to see some of the others.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:41 PM

3,400 posts, read 4,951,841 times
This is a good thread. I get sick of the Prague fetish sometimes.

I crossed CR North to South hitchhiking out of Dresden just this summer. I am still very uneducated about the Czech Republic as we were only planning on passing through it in a day, but it ended up taking us an entire weekend to get through to Austria. I don't even remember half the names of the towns and cities we passed, but I know that Bad Schandau was the last German town before the Czech border. It's a nice town on the Elbe, and I think the area is known as something like 'Germany/Czech Republic's Switzerland'.

Life seemed much more laid back and simple compared to Germany. I think the first major town we hit was called Decin, where we got a ride to another called Usti, and from there were picked up and driven for several hours bypassing Prague (I was surprised how busy the motorways were in the periphery) and in to a petrol station a few km outside Plzen. We were super annoyed that we got on the wrong exit and the next ride got us stranded in Plzen, but it ended up being kind of a pleasant surprise. Actually, my biggest regret of that trip was not exploring the centre of the city a little more. We ended up taking a tram to the outskirts before the sun went down to set up a tent overnight.

We had a long next day trying to get to the Austrian border. There are so many small villages along the road in Bohemia. Every time someone picked us up they were only going some 5-10km down the road, so we we moved at a glacial pace. The scenery and villages were beautiful, though. Made it to Cesky Budejovice, which was also interesting. We just stayed for a few hours waiting for a bus to get to Linz. The change is pretty stark when you get in to Austria.

Overall, given the circumstances it wasn't my favourite country by a stretch, but it was a cool little unexpected trip. Everyone we talked to on the road was quite pleasant, and I loved the rolling hills and farmland landscape in the central/Southern parts of the country. There are really few foreigners in pretty much every city in the country that I visited. It feels very genuine compared to walking around major centres in Western Europe. If you're looking for something different and uncrowded in Central Europe, it's probably a good idea to check out CR outside the obvious hotspot. I take a small sense of smugness in the fact that I crossed the entire thing and never saw Prague.

Old 11-02-2014, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'm quite curious myself, I made it to Prague, and loved it.

It sounds like Olomouc, Brno, and Plzen might be interesting. Makes me want to get back to Czech Republic and try to see some of the others.
Prague Czech Republic feels exactly like a magical fairytale city. I think Prague is overall my favorite European city right now, even more than Paris, and Vienna, although very close to equal preference.

There is other worthwhile destinations in Czech Republic outside of Prague, including Olomouc, Brno, Ostrava, Plzen, Ceske Budejovice, massive Hluboka Castle, and tons of hypnotic remarkable castles chateaus in rural areas of Czech Republic.

Old 11-02-2014, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I crossed CR North to South hitchhiking out of Dresden just this summer. I am still very uneducated about the Czech Republic as we were only planning on passing through it in a day, but it ended up taking us an entire weekend to get through to Austria. I don't even remember half the names of the towns and cities we passed, but I know that Bad Schandau was the last German town before the Czech border. It's a nice town on the Elbe, and I think the area is known as something like 'Germany/Czech Republic's Switzerland'.

Life seemed much more laid back and simple compared to Germany. I think the first major town we hit was called Decin, where we got a ride to another called Usti, and from there were picked up and driven for several hours bypassing Prague (I was surprised how busy the motorways were in the periphery) and in to a petrol station a few km outside Plzen. We were super annoyed that we got on the wrong exit and the next ride got us stranded in Plzen, but it ended up being kind of a pleasant surprise. Actually, my biggest regret of that trip was not exploring the centre of the city a little more. We ended up taking a tram to the outskirts before the sun went down to set up a tent overnight.

We had a long next day trying to get to the Austrian border. There are so many small villages along the road in Bohemia. Every time someone picked us up they were only going some 5-10km down the road, so we we moved at a glacial pace. The scenery and villages were beautiful, though. Made it to Cesky Budejovice, which was also interesting. We just stayed for a few hours waiting for a bus to get to Linz. The change is pretty stark when you get in to Austria.

Overall, given the circumstances it wasn't my favourite country by a stretch, but it was a cool little unexpected trip. Everyone we talked to on the road was quite pleasant, and I loved the rolling hills and farmland landscape in the central/Southern parts of the country. There are really few foreigners in pretty much every city in the country that I visited. It feels very genuine compared to walking around major centres in Western Europe. If you're looking for something different and uncrowded in Central Europe, it's probably a good idea to check out CR outside the obvious hotspot. I take a small sense of smugness in the fact that I crossed the entire thing and never saw Prague.
I experienced a noticeable phenomenon in going through Czech towns, and villages in between Prague, and Vienna Austria. Towns, and villages feel quite charming, and pleasantly relaxing.

Is there more of an extreme stark contrast of scenery between Germany to Czech Republic, or between Czech Republic to Austria?

There is actually a real ultimate collection of castles, palaces, and chateaus all over rural areas of Czech Republic outside of Prague. Famous Czech Castles, Chateaux and Villas | Prague-Stay.com Photo in website link looks even better than some rooms inside maze in Palace of Versailles.

There is Hluboka Castle, Cesky Krumlov Castle, Lednice Chateau, Litomysl, Melnik, Mcely, Frydlant, Jindrichuv Hradec, Zleby, Trosky, Dacice, Karlova Koruna, Lobkowicz, Krivoklat, Troja, Spilberk, Loucen, and Konopiste Castles, Palaces, and Chateaus around a minimum of 19 total all over Czech Republic outside of Prague.

There is spa resorts in areas of relevant country not said up to now. http://www.karlovy-vary.cz/images/va...olonada_01.jpg There is an abundance of those spa resorts. http://www.mzv.cz/public/c1/ed/fa/15...4896_Lazne.jpg

Yeah, urban experience feels genuine around Czech cities, and towns. There is a pleasantly dramatic, intense vibe around and feels quite foreign to North Americans, Asians, and Oceania people. I think you have to eventually visit Prague, a mandatory imperative destination to check out. However, there is Brno, Plzen, Ceske Budejovice, Ostrava, Olomouc, a vast collection of castles, palaces, chateaus, and spa resorts.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:00 PM

16,183 posts, read 39,306,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
There is other worthwhile destinations in Czech Republic outside of Prague, including Olomouc, Brno, Ostrava, Plzen, Ceske Budejovice, massive Hluboka Castle, and tons of hypnotic remarkable castles chateaus in rural areas of Czech Republic.
The thread title includes: "Living in All Areas of Czech Republic"

I wonder what comments people would have about living in the other areas of Czech Republic. Brno is the second biggest city, but I've often heard Czechs considering it quite boring and dull. A film make from there made a film about exactly that once.

I'd absolutely love to visit more of the Czech Republic, but I do wonder how interesting or not-interesting some of the other towns and cities actually are. I'm kind of a person that prefers larger populated areas, so when I go to smaller towns, they might be nice for a day, possibly two days. Then I get a bit stir crazy being in them.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:34 PM

3,400 posts, read 4,951,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Is there more of an extreme stark contrast of scenery between Germany to Czech Republic, or between Czech Republic to Austria?.
I'd say it seems less similar to Germany. It's not like you can see the alps from the border in CR, and you can't really see anything until you are South of Linz in Austria in the first place. However, you can immediately feel the increase in wealth once you get in to Austria. Everything looks like a fairytale and is in great shape. Not so in CR.

I don't know what it is about Germany, but it seems like it just has the crap end of the stick in terms of physical scenery. Don't get me wrong, it has nice spots, but considering how big it is it has a real dreary aesthetic to it, and I know people are going to freak out about this statement but I think it's true even though I love Germany.

In the central part of CR, there's nice rolling hills with very well-groomed farmland and sunflowers and corn growing in perfect squares alongside skinny dirt roads. These same roads lead into tiny villages that are very, very medieval-looking, it's quite interesting actually. Germany is just kind of way too new and efficient to have the same kind of charm, and everything is either flat or overly-developed. It doesn't deliver the goods with the same atmosphere.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:36 PM

354 posts, read 459,713 times
Brno, Olomouc, Karlovy Vary, Cesky Kumlov all look wonderful.

Old 11-25-2014, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
The thread title includes: "Living in All Areas of Czech Republic"

I wonder what comments people would have about living in the other areas of Czech Republic. Brno is the second biggest city, but I've often heard Czechs considering it quite boring and dull. A film make from there made a film about exactly that once.

I'd absolutely love to visit more of the Czech Republic, but I do wonder how interesting or not-interesting some of the other towns and cities actually are. I'm kind of a person that prefers larger populated areas, so when I go to smaller towns, they might be nice for a day, possibly two days. Then I get a bit stir crazy being in them.
Well, I feel a main abundance of Castles, Palaces, Chateaus all over Czech Republic, including a high amount of spa resorts is very interesting, and exciting. There is a high amount of vibrant cities, towns like Plzen, Ceske Budejovice, Ostrava, Olomouc, Brno, Karlovy Vary, Cesky Kumlov, Liberec, Pardubice, and Hradec Králové.

Czech Republic is not the most centralized country in Europe in terms of all worthwhile investment in one major city. Denmark, Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia, Belarus, Serbia, Macedonia, and Netherlands seem to take the cake.

I know many Czech people saying nice compliments, not only condescending remarks about Brno, and other cities, towns outside of Prague.

I have a mutual interest in visiting Czech Republic again. I have endless love about Prague, and want to experience the rest of affiliated country. I realize I don’t need mountains, or ocean at all to feel enthusiasm, respect, and sense of belonging in an area destination.

Old 11-25-2014, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I'd say it seems less similar to Germany. It's not like you can see the alps from the border in CR, and you can't really see anything until you are South of Linz in Austria in the first place. However, you can immediately feel the increase in wealth once you get in to Austria. Everything looks like a fairytale and is in great shape. Not so in CR.

I don't know what it is about Germany, but it seems like it just has the crap end of the stick in terms of physical scenery. Don't get me wrong, it has nice spots, but considering how big it is it has a real dreary aesthetic to it, and I know people are going to freak out about this statement but I think it's true even though I love Germany.

In the central part of CR, there's nice rolling hills with very well-groomed farmland and sunflowers and corn growing in perfect squares alongside skinny dirt roads. These same roads lead into tiny villages that are very, very medieval-looking, it's quite interesting actually. Germany is just kind of way too new and efficient to have the same kind of charm, and everything is either flat or overly-developed. It doesn't deliver the goods with the same atmosphere.
Austria, and Germany represent another separate environment of a country, even if they share the same official language. Czech Republic-Germany does offer extreme contrast of scenery too.

Czech Republic feels very traditional, and rustic compared to Germany’s excessive modern, mediocre vibe. Magnificent details of Czech Republic architecture resemble another atmosphere compared to buildings in Germany. There is more an element of spontaneous surprise in surroundings, and not overly predictable efficiency. Although, I enjoy Czech Republic, and Germany for various separate reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe