U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-08-2014, 05:35 AM
 
Location: Dallas
1,004 posts, read 576,651 times
Reputation: 1228

Advertisements

I'm hoping to plan my first ever trip to eastern Europe to visits Albania as I here its a diamond in the ruff. I know among westerners, eastern Europe wouldn't be a first choice for vacationing but I love how colorful Tirana seems to be. If anyone can provide experience and resources on hotels/hostels and translators or perhaps a personal guide I'd appreciate it. I'd be much more interested exploring the cities alone if possible or with a handful of adventurers and no tour guide if possible.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-08-2014, 04:43 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, QC, Canada
3,402 posts, read 4,740,431 times
Reputation: 4416
I'm glad your Europe trip isn't the typical London to Paris run. I don't know so much about Albania specifically, but maybe just pull up a few maps and see what seems in reach and of interest to you around Tirana instead of getting a tour. I've always wanted to check out Skopje and Lake Ohrid in Macedonia and some towns in Bosnia, for example. Those aren't terribly far off.

I don't think you would really need a guide or translator. Just learn some basic greetings and I'm sure you'll be understood somehow. English probably isn't that rampant but you'll manage. Tour groups, in my opinion, just bog you down and limit your freedom for a cost that is usually quite high. The Balkans, and therefor probably Albania, are supposedly very cheap for Europe and you should be able to do a lot for not so much money.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2014, 06:02 PM
 
4,035 posts, read 4,130,899 times
Reputation: 5325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I'm glad your Europe trip isn't the typical London to Paris run. I don't know so much about Albania specifically, but maybe just pull up a few maps and see what seems in reach and of interest to you around Tirana instead of getting a tour. I've always wanted to check out Skopje and Lake Ohrid in Macedonia and some towns in Bosnia, for example. Those aren't terribly far off..
Include those in your itinerary if you can. 3 days at Lake Ohrid would be very relaxing and scenic. Everyone who's ever been there raves about it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2014, 03:23 PM
 
1,689 posts, read 2,395,803 times
Reputation: 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by moddestmike View Post
I'm hoping to plan my first ever trip to eastern Europe to visits Albania as I here its a diamond in the ruff. I know among westerners, eastern Europe wouldn't be a first choice for vacationing but I love how colorful Tirana seems to be. If anyone can provide experience and resources on hotels/hostels and translators or perhaps a personal guide I'd appreciate it. I'd be much more interested exploring the cities alone if possible or with a handful of adventurers and no tour guide if possible.
Try airbnb for accommodations, while there go to Montenegro and Macedonia, two small and unknown countries that are apparently very beautiful!

As far as translators, no idea

Albanian Tourist Guide - Hotels in Albania
this page might help you

it's nice to see someone who visits Europe and doesn't do the usual (london - paris and everything else around it)

Eastern Europe is VERY CHARMING, I actually like it a lot more than western Europe


enjoy your trip
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2014, 11:30 PM
 
4,035 posts, read 4,130,899 times
Reputation: 5325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post

it's nice to see someone who visits Europe and doesn't do the usual (london - paris and everything else around it)

Eastern Europe is VERY CHARMING, I actually like it a lot more than western Europe


enjoy your trip
Eastern Europe is like going back in time to another century. Especially in the countryside. It's a unique and moving experience.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2014, 03:25 AM
 
1,689 posts, read 2,395,803 times
Reputation: 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
Eastern Europe is like going back in time to another century. Especially in the countryside. It's a unique and moving experience.
I dont know about another century, but its certainly a more classical authentic europe

london, paris, amsterdam barely feel like europe any more, everywhere you all you see is africans, arabs, americans, tourists, chinese etc. etc.

while eastern europe you are actually in a place surrounded by the local people and the only foreigners are tourists!!!

I thought it was very refreshing to escape the multicultural "pseudo-utopia" of western europe and go into a place of europe that actually looks like europe!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:54 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top