Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 06:12 AM

3,400 posts, read 3,205,083 times

Advertisements

He is actually living in Scotland.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:26 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,009,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeonardoLicaprio View Post
THey always seem to be fond about races, pigmentation and other kind of stuff that Europeans couldn't care less about.

Its often popular attitude among the Aussies, Americans and even some Canadians.

Why do the new-world english diaspora became so obsessed and stuck up about race? I do not want to generalize but you can check several boards in internet and its always the same few nationalities asking about who is whiter, blonders, if italians are related to arabs? etc.

Would love to hear a reasonable answer about tha topic.

Thanks.
you know what I am doing I just skip those questions but I do read but I don't respond, I was thinking the same. What is wrong with people to ask this kind of question because those are not even IQ related question if that is the case we do understand. I think it is ingrown hate either unhappiness about them selves. As some one before me said being ignored by the society or being mixed race and they are not belongs to either white either black , black hair or blond hair some where inbetween. So I am quiet not sure what is exactly reason but I am also mix but those questions are not coming to my mind at all.
By the way here where I live is not allowed to use race religion subjects open forums.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:51 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
THey always seem to be fond about races, pigmentation and other kind of stuff that Europeans couldn't care less about.

Its often popular attitude among the Aussies, Americans and even some Canadians.

Why do the new-world english diaspora became so obsessed and stuck up about race? I do not want to generalize but you can check several boards in internet and its always the same few nationalities asking about who is whiter, blonders, if italians are related to arabs? etc.

Would love to hear a reasonable answer about tha topic.

Thanks.
Usually it comes down to this...

Some non-European hoping to bang a bunch of European chicks, and wondering what chances he has. I think 99% of the threads related to race in Europe, basically come down to that, no?

Old 10-12-2014, 08:39 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,924,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Usually it comes down to this...

Some non-European hoping to bang a bunch of European chicks, and wondering what chances he has. I think 99% of the threads related to race in Europe, basically come down to that, no?
I'd say 50/50. If it's a minority person asking about race, it's usually his chances regarding nailing some chick. If it's a white American, it's probably to reaffirm his "racial superiority", due to low self-esteem (most of the time such people are on welfare, working class, don't have a college education, etc.)

But, the OP has a point. 99.9% of race related threads come from New Worlders. No surprise, race and ancestry is a big thing here in the US. People get all kinds of hangups about my race here. The only people that care about race among the people I personally know are Americans. The Asian immigrants don't care, I don't care. It's always Americans that ask me, and tell them I was born in Puerto Rico. They always comment on how I have a European face, so what? lol. Nobody asked me those sort of questions in England or Germany, or made comments like that.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:34 AM

4,038 posts, read 4,861,884 times
Quote:
But why almost all of those question come from AMericans, Aussies and Canadians? Your hardly come across about european themselves using general boards to ask race-related question. Why is there such importance about who has the lighter skin, blonder hair, bluer eyes, or who is less related to non-european countries? Europeans dont ask those things because 1) they do not care about those things 2) they dont even have in mind those questions, Europe is far more concerned about culture and language, countries like US or Australia are much more into race, "minorities" and "ethnic purity".
I don't know about Canada, but public discourse relating to race in the US and Australia is open and fairly analytical and sophisticated in certain circles (not in others). It's not a taboo subject. Also, those countries have hundreds of years of history in dealing with race-related issues. (Which also means they have a lot of baggage to overcome, collectively.) Europeans don't have that historical depth of experience. It's a very new issue in European societies, relatively speaking. Or a new aspect of life that didn't exist until fairly recently in many countries. France may have the most experience with it, perhaps followed by Germany, which has had a guest-worker program for a few generations, now.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:34 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
There is nowhere in the world that has people so diverse in skin and hair colours than in Europe. Especially a region like the British Isles which is very varied. People can start off young as blond turn to fair then light brown as they age. Also a fair/light brown person can turn blondish in summer months. Parts of my hair turns reddish at the back in summer months then disappears in winter.

The res of the world in origin is dark eyes and dark hair.
When it comes to hair color and eye color than I agree that Europe is the most diverse but when it comes to skin color and other physical features, that's certainly not the case.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:38 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,381,339 times
Quote:
But why almost all of those question come from AMericans, Aussies and Canadians? Your hardly come across about european themselves using general boards to ask race-related question. Why is there such importance about who has the lighter skin, blonder hair, bluer eyes, or who is less related to non-european countries? Europeans dont ask those things because 1) they do not care about those things 2) they dont even have in mind those questions, Europe is far more concerned about culture and language, countries like US or Australia are much more into race, "minorities" and "ethnic purity".
These countries to varying degrees were founded on racism. What I mean by that is that the early settlers either had an indigenous population, slaves or both and there was a real effort to keep them separate. It was the worse in the USA, perhaps second in Australia and Canada third. Those are just guesses though. Now although such practices are no longer in use, the legacy of such policies and mentalities lingers.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Then they should look like hungarian people and they dont.

Americans are more British/IRish than anything else I think. But still they look different due to diet, climate and historical facts. Also do not underlook the admixture in colonial times.
Actually, the majority of white Americans have German ancestry. However, I agree with the rest of what you're saying here.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
Inferiority complex left over by European colonization

Britain, Spain, France and other European colonial power imposed themselves onto the locals they colonized as "superior" more evolved, the ones on top.... Though that happened centuries ago, a lot of that complex is still present in those lands and it will take a while for them to evolve out of that!

As a result you find a lot of people in those three countries dwelling on how 300 years ago their granny came from Ireland (eventhough their granny was probably a starving illiterate peasant forced onto a ship en route to the new world by the local authorities in order to get rid of her)

I remember reading about how authorities in Britain would patrol the streets and detain beggars, prostitutes, the illiterate, the weak and poor and ship them onto their colonies in Canada, Australia, US

This is why forums that talk about Europe are often infested with Canadians, Americans and Australians talking about blonde hair, skin color, whiteness, who is more pure race than who and so on!!! Or trying to associate themselves to Europe with threads like "which europeans look/dress more like americans" "or which canadian city is the most European" or "which country is closer to Europe Australia or NZ?"

Another thing that is taboo for them, it's the fact that eventhough most of them might look white, they actually might have some indigenous origin mixed in them... I remember reading about a genetics professor who in his class in Florida was showing students how to test DNA and found that 30% of the white students in his class had close African-American relatives and something like 60% had native Indigenous american roots!!! Australia and Canada are no different!
I can't rep you again but all of this^^^^^

Old 10-12-2014, 10:00 AM

1,660 posts, read 2,533,179 times
I would say it is Europeans who are typically obsessed with this stuff. See the apricity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe