Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 10:02 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,500,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I'd say 50/50. If it's a minority person asking about race, it's usually his chances regarding nailing some chick. If it's a white American, it's probably to reaffirm his "racial superiority", due to low self-esteem (most of the time such people are on welfare, working class, don't have a college education, etc.)

But, the OP has a point. 99.9% of race related threads come from New Worlders. No surprise, race and ancestry is a big thing here in the US. People get all kinds of hangups about my race here. The only people that care about race among the people I personally know are Americans. The Asian immigrants don't care, I don't care. It's always Americans that ask me, and tell them I was born in Puerto Rico. They always comment on how I have a European face, so what? lol. Nobody asked me those sort of questions in England or Germany, or made comments like that.
I get the same crap. I am Black but I have different facial features and my skin tone has a lot of red in it. I get the "what are you mixed with?" "You have some Asian in you don't you?" These people must be racial bloodhounds as my great great grandfather was Filipino. Combine this with the fact that I do not speak with AA vernacular speech and I'm a real spectacle to some.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:10 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,429,024 times
Through colonialism, Europeans brainwashed the world to think they were superior so people the world over have inferiority complexes in one form or another against Europeans especially the ones who are blonde-blue eyes and tall.

Its not just confined to the Americas but China, Australia, Nigeria, Turkey, India, Malaysia etc.

Of course inferiority complexes manifests in different ways in different cultures, people etc.

For example African women chemically straighten their hair to look like White peoples hair, Asians have plastic surgery on their EYES, Jamaicans are famous for bleaching their skin, Indians have a clear caste system etc.

Also the Europeans have superiority complexes...

Old 10-12-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeonardoLicaprio View Post
It0s different, there is the racial conversation about anywhere you go in the world, However only in US, Australia and Canada it becomes an obsession. Its not always about discrimination but about obsessed with race, european derived stuff and lighter features. I dont see brazilians coming here and trying to pass for portuguese, etc.
It manifests in different ways but most countries (especially ex colonial like; Jamaica, Brazil, South Africa, Nigeria, India, Pakistan etc) are less obsessed with race stop saying "just Canada, US and Australia" its annoying now.

If anything the countries I mentioned have a more intense problem with race because they will never pass for white, these are the countries that face racism on a much more deeper level than the Europeans of those Anglophone states.

Even in African majority countries there's racism or colourism against people that are more dark skinned so fuss again, who more removed from European-ness.

In Brazil there's massive problems regarding race..

AUS, Canada and USA are like heavens compared to those countries.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:40 AM

4,708 posts, read 5,099,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Usually it comes down to this...

Some non-European hoping to bang a bunch of European chicks, and wondering what chances he has. I think 99% of the threads related to race in Europe, basically come down to that, no?
Yep. They want to bang a white one with as lighter hair as possible.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:54 AM

65% British or Irish?!?!?! No way!

Old 10-12-2014, 10:55 AM

16,260 posts, read 43,362,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
But, the OP has a point. 99.9% of race related threads come from New Worlders. No surprise, race and ancestry is a big thing here in the US. People get all kinds of hangups about my race here. The only people that care about race among the people I personally know are Americans. The Asian immigrants don't care, I don't care. It's always Americans that ask me, and tell them I was born in Puerto Rico. They always comment on how I have a European face, so what? lol. Nobody asked me those sort of questions in England or Germany, or made comments like that.
I'd say that people in Europe don't ask you, because they have no frame of reference. When everyone is either obviously European or obviously not, there isn't much ambiguity or interest.

In the U.S., people represent just about every miniscule corner of the world. And as much as we want to say we're all the same, the reality is that a Korean-American might have some very interesting Korean roots that they may or may not deal with in regards to family.

To me, it's kind of like living in NYC, and people wanting to know what part of the U.S. you grew up in. It's largely irrelevant, but if someone actually knows where you grew up, or knows about it, it might make some interesting conversation.

Old 10-12-2014, 11:33 AM

25,021 posts, read 28,032,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I get the same crap. I am Black but I have different facial features and my skin tone has a lot of red in it. I get the "what are you mixed with?" "You have some Asian in you don't you?" These people must be racial bloodhounds as my great great grandfather was Filipino. Combine this with the fact that I do not speak with AA vernacular speech and I'm a real spectacle to some.
I've never had that happen to me. Most Americans think I'm fresh off the boat from Italy, I'm nowhere near Italian. I tell them I was born in Puerto Rico, then they say but you don't look Puerto Rico. What's a Puerto Rican supposed to look like, then, when all the indigenous people have been dead for more than 200 years? It's like people being so shocked you're a white person from Zimbabwe, Botswana, South Africa, or Namibia

Old 10-12-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
I just checked that site now, and found nothing but 80% of american people talking about who is whiter than who.

And its not only in those specialized sites, but go to yahoo answers, youtube videos or anywhere that is not categorized with a single subject and you will see how Americans, aussies and canadians turn everything into a race-talk.

Youtube is packed with countles videos about Europe and European peoples/races and 90%+ of people under those accounts are new world white colonials (americans, aussies, canadians on a lesser extent)

In the US people is obsessed with the overuse of words such as "minority", "white", etc. In euripe its about being ethnic french, ethnic dutch, ethnic german and the rest are seen as foreigners despite of what race they belong to.

In europe people care way more about culture than race, and you can see it in countries like the Netherlands how Indonesians despite being more "different" physically wise than moroccans are more accepted in the society because at the end of the day they are more culturally flexible. In america is all about race, if a race doesnt look that much like you mainstream white people forget about truly assimilating to the majority of the country.
I agree. I can't speak for Canada or Australia but in the US, who you are is almost entirely dependent on your skin color. Right down to how you speak. Black people are expected to speak a certain way and if they don't, they are said to "sound white". Yes, that's actually a thing here.

Question though, you mentioned Europeans see culture and ethnicity. What would a French or German person be considered if they are black but born and raised in France or Germany? At least in the US, regardless what race you may be, if you are born and raised here, you are seen as American. Save maybe Asians sometimes but that's a different matter.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:03 PM

So much misinformation in this thread...

Old 10-12-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
No, Most white americans claim german ancestry because Its more recent. There are a Huge English/Scotch-Irish ancestry being underlooked. I think White americans overall look far more like British ISlanders or even Irish people than they resemble the germans. Germans look to me more foreign looking appearance-wise.

In terms of ancestry I'd say the predominant ancestry among white americans would be

65% British-Irish ... present everywhere in the US
20% German or Scandinavian ... mainly in the midwest
10% Southern European (mainly Italian)
5% Other... eastern european, near eastern ,etc

Now self-identification is a truly different thing. In brazil about 53% of people self-identify as white, however the average brazilian looks like neymar.
Quote:
49,206,934 Germans
Quote:
41,284,752 Black or African Americans
Quote:
35,523,082 Irish
Quote:
31,789,483 Mexican
Quote:
26,923,091 English
The Largest Ancestry Groups In The United States - Business Insider
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe