Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 12:53 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,500,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
65% British or Irish?!?!?! No way!
It's not. Almost every source says German. American culture is also strongly influenced by the presence of German ancestry.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:54 PM

6,477 posts, read 8,245,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeonardoLicaprio View Post
THey always seem to be fond about races, pigmentation and other kind of stuff that Europeans couldn't care less about.

Its often popular attitude among the Aussies, Americans and even some Canadians.

Why do the new-world english diaspora became so obsessed and stuck up about race? I do not want to generalize but you can check several boards in internet and its always the same few nationalities asking about who is whiter, blonders, if italians are related to arabs? etc.

Would love to hear a reasonable answer about tha topic.

Thanks.
I bet many Scandinavians will be obsessing over this in 80-150 years time (or so).

Old 10-12-2014, 12:57 PM

26,901 posts, read 22,775,920 times
Quote:
THey always seem to be fond about races, pigmentation and other kind of stuff that Europeans couldn't care less about.

Its often popular attitude among the Aussies, Americans and even some Canadians.

Why do the new-world english diaspora became so obsessed and stuck up about race? I do not want to generalize but you can check several boards in internet and its always the same few nationalities asking about who is whiter, blonders, if italians are related to arabs? etc.

Would love to hear a reasonable answer about tha topic.

Thanks.
Why do you think that it's the "new-world english diaspora" that's "obsessed and stuck up about race?"
I always thought that it were rather Americans with some admixtures, (not just some "anglos") asking all these questions, thinking that if they don't quite "fit" in the "white world" in the US, may be they'll be more fitting somewhere in Europe.
That's not to say that in the US it's not "about color of your skin."
It is.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Europe is about culture, Turks are never seen as fully german because they isolate with their religion and mostly speak their own language. The same for france, The situation in Europe is much more complex because most foreigners are fresh-off-boat from africa, middle east or south/south-east asia, hence they have no tied with the country and struggle to talk the local languages, let alone truly integrate. Most of those blacks in the States share multigenerational ancestors, history, language and culture with other races living in the US.
I understand that but certainly there must be some who were born and raised in Europe. I am just curious what would they be considered in France or Germany? Or hell even the UK which has a large native born black population. Are they considered British or does it go even further and are considered English? For the UK, perhaps P London is a better person to answer.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Its based on self identification, in 1980 census British were the dominant group.

Did the british descendants stopped having kids or returned to the UK?

Just look at people physical appearance, most white americans would fit easier in UK or Ireland than anywhere in germany. I found german people to look quite different in terms of physical appearance to the bulk of white americans.

There is no need to explain that the overwhelm of those self identified brits, irish or germans are by no means pure. I know many people who are only 1/4 german or Italian but they identify with those ethnicities. Many others have a strong colonial british background but prefer to state they are kist "American" in terms of ethnicity.
I have said this a million times, outward physical appearance is not reliable to determine relationships. See this is the problem right here. If you use these sorts of criteria, you're not getting at the facts, rather you can manipulate the situation to mean whatever you want it to. German immigrants came over in very large numbers. Now I showed you a source which I normally don't do because I don't do research for others. However all you've shown me is speculation so I'm not buying it.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:08 PM

520 posts, read 1,520,889 times
Quote:
Through colonialism, Europeans brainwashed the world to think they were superior so people the world over have inferiority complexes in one form or another against Europeans especially the ones who are blonde-blue eyes and tall.

Its not just confined to the Americas but China, Australia, Nigeria, Turkey, India, Malaysia etc.
You might be right for the rest of the countries but Turkey? It were Europeans like the Greeks, Yugoslavians or the Armenians who suffered from Turkish superiority, imperialism and racism. So, why include Turkey?

Old 10-12-2014, 01:08 PM

26,901 posts, read 22,775,920 times
Quote:
Its the whole society, in which the majority are non-hispanic whites of mainly anglo/British isles heritage.
Sorry I am not even sure what are you saying here.
What "it's the whole society?"

Old 10-12-2014, 01:12 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,429,024 times
Quote:
Europe is about culture, Turks are never seen as fully german because they isolate with their religion and mostly speak their own language. The same for france, The situation in Europe is much more complex because most foreigners are fresh-off-boat from africa, middle east or south/south-east asia, hence they have no tied with the country and struggle to talk the local languages, let alone truly integrate. Most of those blacks in the States share multigenerational ancestors, history, language and culture with other races living in the US.
The situation in Europe is much more complex because Europe is a continent and the USA is one country!

The UK has a very long history of people from the ex colonies living and influences British culture especially in the urban areas. The Netherlands is know for being a "small multicultural country" for a while now while France seems to have alot of immigrants who don't assimilate.

Skin colour and where your from matters in Europe very much (however I can also speak for the UK) If "Europeans" as you put it look at culture and not race why are Black British people of Caribbean background (Jamaica, Barbados, Trinidad, Antigua etc) the most deprived group?

Afro- Caribbean people in the UK have settled in just fine yet we are still more likely to be worse off.

Also most non Europeans here are not "fresh of the boat"

The ignorance coming outta your finger tips...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
It's not. Almost every source says German. American culture is also strongly influenced by the presence of German ancestry.
That's what I thought.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:16 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,429,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brabham12 View Post
You might be right for the rest of the countries but Turkey? It were Europeans like the Greeks, Yugoslavians or the Armenians who suffered from Turkish superiority, imperialism and racism. So, why include Turkey?
I didn't know about that but...

Turks are not considered European by the majority of people. European white supremacy whatever you want to call it is Northern European derived. Turkish people hardly are northern European are they?

Old 10-12-2014, 01:29 PM

520 posts, read 1,520,889 times
Quote:
I didn't know about that but...

Turks are not considered European by the majority of people. European white supremacy whatever you want to call it is Northern European derived. Turkish people hardly are northern European are they?
Not they aren't but they don't look that different from many other Southern Europeans or other Middle Easterners don't they? For instance, in Germany there is discrimination against them because of their culture, religious attitudes and behaviour but not due to their" complexion". There are some new arrivals from Spain, Greece and Italy here (mostly young people fleeing the economic crisis) who look as "swarthy" as some Turks do but aren't discriminated in the slightest way.
Furthermore, I just found it a bit weird that you included Turkey as a victim although the Ottomans also had a imperialist history with many Slavic, Tartar, African and Kurdish slaves...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe