Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 02:06 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,879,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
In situations like this, "how are you" is not a question, it's a greeting. It's the same as saying "hi".

As you claimed, you used to live in the US, you should know and I think, you do. You just like bitching about everything American. Looks to me like it's your favourite pastime.
"How are you?" isn't a greeting. It's a question. (Notice the question mark at the end.) But most of the time, in the US at least, it's a question the people expect only a perfunctory answer to. They don't really want to know how you are. They only want to hear "fine", or some version of it, in response. Or some short response ("I've been really busy", or "I just got back from vacation", or some other very brief personal news report).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I never assume people know I'm American. I'm one to keep low key about everything, and don't normally talk to strangers. But I have been stopped and asked by people at the supermarket am I from the US? Only because they heard me talk. Otherwise, most thought I was from Spain or Italy
My experience is that Europeans somehow can intuit who's American and who isn't. IDK if this is by body language (that's a common theory), by clothing (doesn't explain how they can tell when everyone's dressed in jeans and a t-shirt), or some other measure. Somehow, some Europeans can just eyeball a person and identify them as American, without the American saying anything at all. Or even if the American speaks the local language with no foreign accent, the local person will switch to English.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:56 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,466,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
My experience is that Europeans somehow can intuit who's American and who isn't. IDK if this is by body language (that's a common theory), by clothing (doesn't explain how they can tell when everyone's dressed in jeans and a t-shirt), or some other measure. Somehow, some Europeans can just eyeball a person and identify them as American, without the American saying anything at all. Or even if the American speaks the local language with no foreign accent, the local person will switch to English.
It works the other way too. can't put my finger on it but nine times out of ten, I can tell if someone's European. I listen to them talk to try and narrow down the country but just as we have a certain "Americaness" to us, they have a certain "Europeaness" to to them.

Old 10-21-2014, 03:25 PM

658 posts, read 806,101 times
Quote:
"How are you?" isn't a greeting. It's a question. (Notice the question mark at the end.) But most of the time, in the US at least, it's a question the people expect only a perfunctory answer to. They don't really want to know how you are. They only want to hear "fine", or some version of it, in response. Or some short response ("I've been really busy", or "I just got back from vacation", or some other very brief personal news report).
I think it's become a greeting, I know instead of "Hi" sometimes I just say "alright?" or "You okay". I'd be somewhat shocked if someone went in detail about how they were feeling, unless they were friends, of course.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:23 PM

5,065 posts, read 7,537,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
I think it's become a greeting, I know instead of "Hi" sometimes I just say "alright?" or "You okay". I'd be somewhat shocked if someone went in detail about how they were feeling, unless they were friends, of course.
"Are you all right" is one that confused me when I moved to the UK.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:39 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,173,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post

To be brutally honest with you, I prefer ....... <snip> ........
Just out of curiosity, where are YOU from and where do you live now?

Old 10-21-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
"Are you all right" is one that confused me when I moved to the UK.
Oh, is it a Brit thing? That's why I haven't heard of it. In the US, you only ask "are you all right" of people who look like they may be unwell and might need help.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:35 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,556,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
The American one is because they are half-expecting a backlash just for being an American. During the Bush years, there was a lot of anti-American sentiment targeted at Americans abroad. It became VERY tedious and annoying to be an American abroad, and get that damn, "where are you from?" question, only to have the asking person to go on the verbal offensive on you, after you'd answer them.

The Canadian response is a reaction to that. Half of the time they were the worst offenders of all nationalities with the anti-American rants. The other half of the time, they are making damn sure they aren't going to be confused as an American. Hence, the over-eagerness to go on the rant themselves to an extreme.

I can't answer for the Australian one. Maybe it's EXACTLY as you say, that they really didn't expect people to go 'ga-ga' for them, but I doubt it. Who knows...I'm sure an Australian would be the best to answer that.
Where did the O/P say anything about a rant from Canadians. I believe backpacks and flags patches were mentioned and those were probably all worn by Americans to avoid being detected as Americans!

The stupid Tilly hat is the thing that sets tourists apart the most in my eyes and to this item alone; all three countries mentioned are characteristic.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:11 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,562,401 times
Quote:
I hope not, that sounds creepy.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:23 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,562,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Exactly!

That's been my experience! I hate that dreaded, 'WHERE ARE YOU FROM" loaded question, filled with presumptions immediately after it gets answered.

As an American, I would much prefer to respond, 'does it matter?' But, in my experience, they'll push you for that answer, so they can start stereotyping and pigeonholing.

"Oh, you're an American? But you don't look fat, obnoxious, and annoying."

Of course, I'd like to respond, "Oh, your ignorant and filled with stereotypes? I wouldn't have guessed that by your first appearance either."
This is why i tell people my name and not my nationality.
People are more friendly to me when i say "Hi ,my name is Leo" than "Hi, i'm American"
Especially when you have to stay in those Hostels with those snobby backpacker types.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe