Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 07:23 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,300,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
I was reading several traveling blogs, trying to come up with ideas for my january trip and I found a lot of blogs with Americans, Canadians, Australians talking about their European tour and how shocking/disappointing it is to be in Europe and come to the realization of the fact that in Europe people don't care if you're australian, canadian or american!

I mean Europeans don't dislike you if you're from those three countries, but they're not gonna fall in love with you just because you come from those places you know?

Like I'll quote and australian guy
"I felt Europeans were not friendly at all, when I'd tell them I am aussie they didnt seem to care much"
what was this australian guy expecting? that europeans were gonna throw a party just because he's australian, or go into a neurotic state because he's an aussie? lol

or Americans too
"I am an American, what will europeans say when I visit and they know I am an American?"
THEY'LL SAY NOTHING, Europe is VERY MULTICULTURAL and full of tourist from EVERYWHERE on this planet!!!! one trip to the supermarket and I'll easily come across people from 50 different nationalities, from chinese tourists, to all kind of arabs, turkish and africans immigrants, to people from all over the americas to people from all over europe to jews to japanese girls with cameras to just about any kind of person u can imagine!!!
No one is gonna care if you're from the US!!! trust me, most people will not even care to ask or even look at you!!

Canadians also with their strange backpacks, and their flags walking around letting the world know they're canadians, as if the rest of the world actually gave a crap!!! you always see them with the backpacks and NO ONE even looks at them and goes, oh canadians!!! it's so comical!

I don't know why but this attitude is very common on these three countries.... for some reason they expect their presence will cause shock on people because they're white-Americans, white-Canadians or white-Australians (I wonder if it's a post-colonial trauma left by the english) but its so bizarre and funny!!!!

once I met this australian girl in the netherlands and she was telling me how lonely she feels because Dutch men are not falling for her, she was thinking they would do so because being australian and all (most dutch guys were absolutely oblivious and didnt even care about the fact she was australian), but for some reason she thought that was going to be a HUGE advantage, "Oh I am australian = 50 dutch guys fall in love"

Is it like a new world anglo thing? or just delusion?
Strange topic. I've been to Europe. Didn't flaunt being American and I would only respond if asked. Mostly just heard people saying "how handsome I am." That's about it. Also, a few "fascist" comments because I'm very straight laced and clean cut--lots of European men, however, have greasy hair or bald hair and look like soccer players.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 10:50 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,886,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Strange topic. I've been to Europe. Didn't flaunt being American and I would only respond if asked. Mostly just heard people saying "how handsome I am." That's about it. Also, a few "fascist" comments because I'm very straight laced and clean cut--lots of European men, however, have greasy hair or bald hair and look like soccer players.
WTF?! IMO, the bald dudes look more like the neo-Nazi types. But seriously, who would actually make a comment like that to someone? Who were these people?

Old 10-23-2014, 09:24 AM

400 posts, read 424,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
To be brutally honest with you, I prefer Americans over Australians by a big big big stretch, yeah Americans can be loud and tacky but Americans mean no harm for the most..... Americans are overall laid back

Australians especially the ones I met while in Bali, were horribly condescending towards the Asian locals, some would get drunk and behave exactly like british do on holiday (vandalizing private property, vomiting on people's doors, fighting with anyone anywhere, disrespecting the local women)

A lot of Australians are VERY CONDESCENDING especially when in developing countries, they act like complete new money and look down on the locals, Americans on the other hand tend to be more laid back and even in poor countries they'll just feel sorry for the locals and the conditions they're in but will never act like complete pricks.

I know many Americans think aussies= cool and interesting, but I know plenty of Americans who have gone to australia and completely change their mind about the place and the people..... like an American girl told me once (you couldn't pay me to live there), according to her Australia is like a big Mississippi!!!

and based on the australians Ive met, the stories Ive heard from british of indian and african descent who have been there and so on I think the whole australia = mississippi thing sound VERY CLOSE TO THE TRUTH!

I've never been to Oz myself, but I have come across a fair number of immigrants of chinese descent here in Canada who basically said the same thing and also insisted that canada was more welcoming and less racist....hmmm, maybe they were on to something about that. At the time, I basically thought they were out of their minds for swapping a country that had nice sandy beaches and decent weather for our beloved tundra with frigid winds.

That whole canadian flag on backpack thingy made me cringe whenever I saw it in Europe..my god, how tacky is that? I travel expressly for the purpose of losing myself in a different milieu, to go native in my new environment. The last thing I want is to be reminded of the place I spent thousands of dollars to leave behind, at least for a little while.

And I was often mistaken for being American (even by other americans) and never corrected anyone when it happened. Oddly enough, I got shunned a lot by americans when I revealed to them that I was not in fact one of them. I guess they just wanted to hang with someone from back home and when they found out I wasn't one of them they just kind of chucked me under the bus..hehe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe